IEMs Discovery & General Discussion

Has anyone heard the new BGVP DM8 yet?

I’ll put it on my list for next time. I’ve just ordered the Blessing 2 Dusk. :smiley:

2 Likes

SEEAUDIO YUME

SeeAudio is a new brand, at least to me, out of China and they recently released three products, ranging from the $169 Yume, the $1099 Neo, and their flagship $1399 Kaguya. This review will take a look at their lowest-priced offering, the Yume.

This specific unit has gotten a bit of praise from the community so far and one that I have been looking forward to given its attractive styling and its available frequency response graph. The Yume sample was provided to me by Linsoul for review and the item is available on their http:/www.linsoul.com website.

The Yume is a triple-driver in-ear monitor featuring a single dynamic driver and two balanced armature drivers and was tuned to come close to the popular Harman Target Curve. The IEM sports a very nice looking glittery blue and green pattern on a black faceplate with their logos in a metallic silver appearance.

Their logo, font, and design shape is very, very reminiscent of qdc, a very established and popular high-end brand of IEMs out of China. There is a reason for this. It seems like SeeAudio was started from an individual who had left qdc to start their own business and this is one of the first results of that start-up.

Sound Impressions

While there has been talk that this IEM is tuned similarly to the Harman Target, its not quite there. It has less bass and upper-midrange and treble quantity overall; in other words, it is less V-Shaped. It actually comes very in-line with my personal Antdroid IEM Target curve; crazy close to be honest. And with that, I think the Yume is one of the most pleasantly tuned in-ear monitors I’ve heard, at any price.

If you’ve read my reviews, you know I put relatively equal weight towards tonal balance and technical performance. In this case, the Yume will get outstanding scores for tonal balance, but it’s somewhat average for its technical chops. For some, this may not matter as much, but being a critical reviewer, I do have to point out some of the flaws, before I get back to shilling the Yume’s general sound signature.

There’s nothing blatantly wrong with its technical ability. It’s about average for the price point that it is selling at, and that’s a good thing. I find that the overall resolution to be a bit lacking versus higher-tier products. It’s slightly behind the Etymotic series (ER2, ER3 and ER4) and comparable to the Moondrop KXXS and Kanas Pro. This isn’t bad company, as I am a big fan of all of these IEMs. I just don’t think this specific IEM is the flagship killer some may have hoped it would be.

In this case, I find some of the transient responses and attack to feel a little soft and blunted. Smoothed out is perhaps a good choice of descriptor. And while smooth can mean a lot of things – I find the Empire Ears Odin and Vision Ears VE8 to be smoothed out, but still have highly resolving capabilities – I think it is appropriate here, and by this I find the general resolution and attack capability to just have a roller-pin smashed on it and taking the upper surface of the music out. You still get the general gist of the music, but its missing the edge that makes it precise, if that makes sense.

The result of this, at least to my ears, is the lost of that something special. Again, I love the tonality - its nearly perfect. It is missing a few minor ingredients that make this thing as engaging as I want overall though, whether that be the resolution, the attack, or a sense of excitement. It’s missing something, and makes this a rather easy to listen to IEM and one that is non-fatiguing, but non-memorable at the same time.

Now with that aside, the tonal balance thing again. It’s really good. Bass has just the right amount of quantity that doesn’t make it sound overly sterile, but not overly bloated either. The mid-range is forward, but not sharp, shouty, or harsh, and the treble is elevated, but not overly peaky or bright, and definitely not dark. If anything, it lacks a small amount of extension in the upper-end, which could contribute to overall lack of air and excitement.

Some Quick Comparisons

Etymotic Series

The Etymotic series, specifically the ER2 and ER3 line are priced alongside the Yume, and are very good comparisons to it. I think the Yume and ER2XR square up well with their tuning and capabilities. The ER2/ER3 series do a little more with resolution, and some minor technical things, but I think the Yume’s overall tonal balance is better, along with better treble response. I think the ER2XR sounds a little bloated compared to the Yume’s more cleaner low-end, while the ER3XR has a much better attack and resolution. The Yume’s overall pleasurable listen beats it for tonality for me without the deep insertion.

Moondrop Series

The Moondrop Kanas Pro and KXXS have always been one of my favorites for their tonal balance and price point as well as their simple, yet stunning looks and fit. The Yume is now my new recommendation for those who want an easy to wear, and attractive looking piece of gear with near perfect tonality, in my eyes. Resolution and soundstage are very similar between the Moondrops and the SeeAudio Yume, and the real deciding factor here is the slightly less emphasized upper mids of the Yume than both the KXXS and Kanas Pro.

Thieaudio Series

The Legacy 3 and 4 are two other under $200 IEMs that feature decent to good tonality as well as easy fit. They actually have similar if not the same shell design, which makes them all in the top of the list for comfort for my personal ear shapes. The Legacy 3 is quite a step below the Yume in both tonal balance and technical performance, but both are still in the “average” to “below-average” category overall in the grand scheme of things.

The Legacy 4 is a more interesting comparison. It’s priced a little higher at $190 and I think its justified versus the Yume. While the Yume has a more pleasant sound, the Legacy 4 has an added gain in the lower treble which I find more exciting, though can be fatiguing too. This extra bit of “stuff” does give it a little more character, and overall I do find the Legacy 4 an improvement in clarity, resolution, and attack.

Overall

The Yume is a nice IEM. It fits very well in-line with my tonal preferences and really only lacks some additional character in the way of resolution or transient response to make it stand out. Even so, I think this one is a nice addition to the very crowded under $200 population of in-ears, but could also be the best overall for a pleasing, neutral-ish monitor.

I didn’t go into too much detail of the unboxing experience, but I’ll just say it’s not really my choice of visuals for a box. I’m not a fan of the anime-inspired packaging, but I understand there is a large target audience around that, and so I’ll just leave it at that. The overall package, outside of that, is nice. Good cable, and really nice design and fit.

And that is all.

18 Likes

For the past few weeks I’ve spent a considerable amount of time with the Dunu SA6. Long story short, they unfortunately went back because of fit issues. When the fit was “right,”I mostly enjoyed their tonal signature, but overall it was an uphill battle finding consistency with them, even with aftermarket tips. My main gripes beyond fit were that they lacked a bit of sparkle, sounding dull at times, and their layering capabilities didn’t meet my expectations.

I’m still searching for my perfect IEM, but I’m not quite sure where to go from here. I’m eying the Moondrop S8 and Thieaudio Clairvoyance, but also considering the Blessing 2 Dusk. Does anyone have any recommendations? I listen to everything from EDM and Synthwave to Jazz and Heavy Metal. Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

You already mentioned the blessing 2 dusk. But if the sa6 didn’t fit go in a different direction and try the dunu zen.

I have impressions of both posted on here. But the Zen is probably better given the price you are willing to spend. Happy to answer any questions on those two.

1 Like

Empire Ears has some new stuff coming out soon. I had the chance to test the new Valkyrie MKII:

Empire Ears Valkyrie - Official Thread - Official IEM Model Discussion - The HEADPHONE Community (headphones.com)

and the Bravado MKII:

Empire Ears -Official thread - Official IEM Model Discussion - The HEADPHONE Community (headphones.com)

1 Like

Great review @antdroid. I found it very interesting.

1 Like

I had the SA6 and felt the same way you did. A bit too “safe” in tuning. I have Dusk and Monarch and love both of them. I would say start with the Dusk since its amazing quality for price. The sub-bass is emphasized but only slightly so its not “boomy.”

5 Likes

Back with my Acoustune HS1300SS full review since I purchased it over 3 weeks ago. It has been quite a fun experience with the IEM. Not to mention I am steadily getting better at color grading my picture with my new camera but I digress.

Like usual, my review is a copy from with some editing to fit this site: Acoustune HS1300SS review: Correctly colored
One can also look at my disclaimer to know more about my approach to reviewing IEM: Review Disclaimer

Information:

The Acoustune HS1300 SS was a self-purchased unit.

Build and Accessories:

• 3 pairs of Acoustune AET07 tips (S/M/L)
  • 3 pairs of Acoustune AET08 tips (S/M/L)
  • 2 pairs of Acoustune AET06 tips (S/M)
  • 1 pair of Acoustune AET02 foam tips
  • Warranty card/Instruction paper
  • 2 cable tighteners
  • 1 Soft case
  • 1 IEM briefcase
  • Unbalanced 3.5mm cable with proprietary PentaconnEar connection
  • The IEM itself

One thing I can’t guarantee with the HS1300SS packaging is the briefcase since when I bought this at e-earphone, the staff included it with the IEM box. And, I am not sure if this would apply to other stores outside of Japan or not.

Regardless, I find myself satisfied with the HS1300 accessories. The soft-case is ok: it’s nice to hold but I feel like the lid is too flexible, if it is a little bit harder then it would be nicer to use. The cable has some rubbery texture which isn’t something that I prefer. Though, I really like Acoustune proprietary connection here, it’s easy to apply the cable to the IEM as well as taking it out, the connections are tight which leave me with no problem in using it. That said, this would hinder a lot in terms of finding replacement cables since it is not following the usual standard like MMCX or 2-pin which is plenty in the market nowadays.

That said, the Acoustune HS1300SS features a unique design with a stainless steel frame and cylinder chamber inside. It’s a weird design where weird edges are sticking, posing concern in terms of comfort. Since my ear canal is short and my pinna is flat, I don’t have trouble fitting it. But, when I asked my friend (who has bigger ears) to try it, he said one of the edges of the HS1300 touched his ear, causing discomfort after 30 - 45 minutes of wearing.
Others who happen to buy the IEM around the time I got it reported that they are fine with the fit (with one claiming it is one of the most comfortable IEM they have tried). So it boils down to how sensitive your ears are and the shape of them.

Caveat emptor if you are planning to buy the HS1300SS, I highly recommend you to make sure that you are comfortable with the fit before buying.

Sound:

Tonality:

The Acoustune HS1300 SS has a “Warm V-Shaped” signature which is evident by the bass/midrange boost and the upper-mid + treble focus.

While the IEM might not be the most balanced thing in the world, I have to admit that it is one of the cases where I consider the coloration that is going on within this IEM helps a lot on its sound presentation: it’s warm, one can even call it pleasant, yet has a lot of energy when the song calls for it.

Scanning through the frequency response and you can see some possible explanations:

• The pinna raise at ~2.2kHz
  • The ~5dB peak at ~5kHz

These push a lot of instruments forward, maybe too into your face for some people who prefer a relaxed listening. That said, instruments like electronic guitars greatly benefit from this type of tuning - lots of energy and bite, which makes the HS1300 an ideal partner for Rock, Metal…
On top of it, the HS1300 also has decent upper-treble boost which results in an airy presentation in a lot of track that I throw it into. This would be what I considered as a pro in this IEM if not for one thing: The 13kHz peak.

Yes, I know that I that graphs over 10kHz are not to be trusted hence I have to use sine sweep to confirm this on my own. This results in a sound presentation that is slightly zingy when it comes to instruments like cymbals and acoustic guitars… Some vocal recordings do show this too, for example, Mameko’s vocal in Mamyukka - 深海図鑑 or Aitsuki Nakuru’s in AcuticNotes - Sherras

That said, I am not someone who particularly too sensitive about it unless it is something like the Tin Hifi P1 (and P2), not to mention you would only pick this up in some “badly mastered” recordings anyway. What irks me more in terms of vocals presentation is that it can often come out as slightly shouty and nasally to my ears. Hence, it won’t be my utmost pick when it comes to J-Pop (or K-Pop) when it comes to recommendation unless you can forgo this issue.

Technical performance:

While it won’t be the top performer in the price bracket that it belongs to. The HS1300 is still quite competitive. Most notable to me is the lower midrange, where the IEM managed to provide good transient and detailing. The bass is decent too, a bit bloat to my ear but overall providing good slam and texture.

That aside, what tanks this IEM down is in its average imaging and soundstage. Instrument layering on the HS1300 lacks some depth, the soundstage is still contained rather than having an “over the ear” sensation. Not only that, there are also some sense of the notes smearing into each other which hinders its resolution by a bit.
Though, it’s definitely better than a lot of IEM I have listened in this regard. And not really a surprise regarding imaging/soundstage since not a lot of IEMs can achieve this anyway.

Choice comparisons:

vs Moondrop Blessing 2:

Some people might feel this comparison unfair considering Moondrop Blessing 2’s reputation in its sound performance but I reckon a lot of my readers will have this IEM (or at least heard about it a lot) so it’s a good reference point.

That said, no sugar coating here, the Blessing 2 trumps the HS1300 in any way imaginable in terms of technical performances. Wider soundstage and better in terms of instrumental position accuracy. Detail retrievals is even out of the question.

Were if there is anything that giving the HS1300SS the edge over. It would be its colored presentation that can be appealing to some people. Not only that, it has better bass performance - more quantity and better texturing. HS1300SS also has thicker notes, which can be one of the factors that you would consider over the Blessing 2.

vs DUNU DK-3001 Pro:

With the Moondrop Blessing 2 as the benchmark for my recommendation in this price range, the DUNU DK-3001 Pro usually served as one of my alternate recommendations were if one doesn’t like Blessing 2’s tonal performance.
Hence, I put these on comparison because I feel HS1300 deserves the same spot as the DK-3001 Pro.

Comparison wise, DK-3001 Pro flash out trumps HS1300 on bass transient, a little bit better in terms of detail retrievals and on top of it all, is a more balanced tuning. Yet, the HS1300 is more colored, airier and has more bass quantity - it is more engaging to listen to.

And then when I think about the similarities: The sharp lower-treble, average imaging… Then the HS1300 sounds like the opposite side of the same coin with the DK-3001 Pro - it fills in what the DK-3001 doesn’t have with some small sacrifice in resolutions.

Of course, in terms of pricing, one could say that the HS1300 will be better for your wallet and I would not argue. Though, if I were to have a ranking page like a lot of people have nowadays, I would put the HS1300 at the same spot as the DK-3001 for these reasons.

vs DUNU DM-480:

This comparison serves as an upgrade recommendation rather than just the usual “comparing which is better in the same price bracket”.

It’s not hard to understand the reason why if you are familiar with graphs. While both have similar tuning style, the HS1300SS is more balanced than the DM-480 by having less aggressive mid and less bass quantity - resulting in less bloat.
That said, what is on the graph isn’t always reflected when it comes to subjective impression, so, what about it? Resolution wise, the HS1300’s note decay is more natural, better detail retrieval, airier, soundstage is more open than the DM-480…

Overall, just better sound quality which is not a surprise considering the price difference. But still, the reason why I dubbed this as “upgrade recommendation” comes from the tuning style of both which are similar to each other: throwing any instruments that I am familiar with from the DM-480 to the HS1300, then I will find the latter presenting it similarly, albeit with some improvements.

Conclusion:

All in all, the Acoustune HS1300SS is not something that one would find it amazing in this price bracket like the Moondrop Blessing 2, nor it is a “jack of all trade, master of none” due to its colored signature. But, it has decent technical technicalities to back it up and a tuning that not just doesn’t break the bank, but also has some of its own twists without going too far.
Hence, I will give it my recommendation. Quite an unique IEM.

13 Likes

Great review @Banbeucmas.

1 Like

Thanks, I quite like the design of Acoustune. Though one problem I see with some of my US friend is that they don’t know how to get the IEM. With us Asian, it is fairly easy.
Not sure if there is anyone here are experienced in Acoustune that are based in the US.

1 Like

Accessibility to a lot of the iem’s in the Eastern Economy is often very difficult for westerners. Language barrier for a start. I’m sure it’ll improve over time.

2 Likes

Yeah, hopefully so. I do have some struggle getting Western IEM to review on the other hand. :'D

2 Likes

Nice review and well detailed!

The build of the IEMs reminds me of something usually found in a performance engine :wink:

4 Likes

Acoustune is sold by AccessoryJack, based out of Hong Kong and english speaking. Makes it a little easier for us. In-Ear Monitor – Tagged "Acoustune"– AccessoryJack

I really do want to try one of their IEMs sometime. A few of them are really well liked.

2 Likes

SeeAudio Yume Review - Yume Want To Hear This

Review written by Precogvision

Introduction

SeeAudio is the latest brand to hit the crowded Chi-Fi scene; having purportedly made waves on the domestic market, they’re now expanding into the international market. The Yume (short for the word “dream” in Japanese) is their entry model, a 1DD/2BA hybrid that clocks in at $169. I probably don’t need to tell you that this is one of the most, if not the most competitive price brackets amongst IEMs. Luckily, SeeAudio’s sporting a certain advantage: They’ve got the experience of one of Chi-Fi’s most renowned brands, QDC, backing them up. But does the rookie brand’s entry model actually have what it takes to make its mark, to fulfill the dreams of listeners anxious to get their hands on this IEM? Let’s take a look.

This unit was kindly provided by Linsoul for review. You can purchase the Yume from here. As usual, what follows are my honest thoughts and opinions to the best of my ability.

Source & Drivability

All critical listening was done off of an iBasso DX160 and A&K SP1000M with lossless FLAC files, the stock cable, and the stock tips. I neither experienced any hissing, nor did I have any trouble driving the Yume off of any of my sources.

The Tangibles

So, ah, what’s the best way of putting this? SeeAudio’s not pulling the punches here, and they have a very clear target demographic in mind for their IEMs. The Yume arrives in an anime-art style box with their mascot character in front. On the back, you have the specifications and a graphic depicting the frequency response of the Yume. I’ve noted this before, but I think it’s awesome that more manufacturers are beginning to include this stuff in the interest of transparency. You can knock the waifu; you can’t knock that. Included inside are the following accessories:

• Assortment of eartips
  • Plastic, hockey puck case
  • 0.78mm 2-pin, 3.5mm cable
  • Anime waifu stickers

I’m not going to lie, some of the marketing is pushing it even for me, a self-proclaimed anime aficionado; case-in-point the logo on the hockey puck case. I do like the case itself, though, which uses a friction seal. While it doesn’t seem super high-quality, it’s lightweight and should provide sufficient protection for the IEM. The cable of the Yume is certainly usable, and I don’t have any complaints on this front.

The Yume itself sports an acrylic shell with a mix of green and purple glitter for the faceplate. There are silver-colored inlays with the brand’s logo; you can see the QDC roots here, as the placement of the “See” text is reminiscent of where QDC inlays their own brand name. The Yume’s ergonomics are stellar, and it’s on the smaller side, so I had no issues with fit or comfort - as usual, fit is subjective, and your mileage might vary and all that. Overall, the Yume’s build is a classy, attractive ordeal.

Sound Analysis

Frequency response measured off of an IEC-711 coupler. There is a resonance peak at 8kHz; as such, measurements after this point should not be considered entirely accurate. It’s worth noting that the coupler itself is also only certified up until around 10kHz.

Normally, I’d break down each part of the frequency response in depth, but let’s eschew that trend here. I think it makes more sense to approach the Yume from a more abstract perspective, to capture its sonic qualities in their entirety.

Supposedly the Yume adheres to the “Harman@2020” target. Aside from this target technically not existing last I checked, someone also recently pointed out to me that most reviewers would say the same of most all Harman-tuned IEMs: “A healthy sub-bass boost (but no mid-bass bleed!), the upper-midrange is a tad forward but with a nice pinna compensation, and maybe it just needs a bit more treble extension”. I got a laugh out of that because, well, it’s mostly true. But there are small deviations here and there. The Yume is less sub-bass oriented, slopes off cleaner in the upper-midrange, and there appears to be a minor peak at around 8kHz in the mid-treble. All of this culminates in a slightly leaner, more reference-oriented presentation that’s just as much easier on the ears. The Yume’s tonal balance is, to put it lightly, class-leading.

And I do want to highlight the midrange tuning - the heart and soul of the music - here. The Yume sports a nigh-identical midrange to the Moondrop B2: Dusk, and I can’t attest enough to how well this aspect of the tuning has been done. While it’s still upper-midrange oriented, slightly lean in note-weight and prioritizing crunch, it’s sloping off of 3kHz wonderfully without resulting in the characteristic edginess that most Harman tunings exhibit. It hits closer to how I perceive neutral than anything else I’ve heard; while nothing particularly shines or stands out, that’s not what the Yume’s tuning is going for. The extra treble energy also pays compliment to the “crunch” in the lower-midrange; simultaneously, addressing the oft-cited lack of treble energy in Harman-tuned IEMs.

I think it’s equally true, then, that good sound is good irrespective of how it’s been inspired. And here, we come back to my “to put it lightly” sentiment. The Yume’s not just class-leading for its tonal balance. No, no, no. It punches well-beyond the realms of “for $200,” and competes more closely with a lot of kilobuck stuff on the basis of tonality. It’s really just that pleasing.

Technical Performance

Now, I know that’s a bold claim. But a stellar tuning does not necessarily qualify a stellar IEM; here, I recall some fellow reviewers’ sentiments about the Yume sounding somewhat “mushy” despite its excellent tonality. This is where I’d like to tell you that they’re blatantly wrong, and that the Yume is a highly-proficient, technical IEM for $200. Except I can’t. Transient attack is fuzzy, largely undefined; to my ears, the Yume seems to congest quite easily relative to even the likes of the Moondrop Starfield. It stands that layering takes a hit and imaging is decidedly 2-dimensional, constrained to the width plane. I’d put overall technical performance somewhere between the level of the Blon BL03 and the aforementioned Starfield, skewed toward the former.

There also appears to be a certain grittiness to the midrange’s transient behavior; it’s walking the line between note texture and grain. Fun fact, the Yume uses the same BA driver used in the Etymotic ER4XR which I don’t recall presenting this quality as closely. This inclines me to say it’s largely the product of more egregious decay. To a certain degree, I think it works well with stuff in the lower-midrange, even matching the slightly scratchy treble, but on more soprano-oriented stuff, I find it somewhat unnatural. Your mileage might vary and all that, I just thought it was interesting.

Something I definitely think needs work, though, is the Yume’s bass. Sure, it’s clean, but it’s lacking in slam to the extent of which it feels like I’m being punched halfheartedly behind a training bag. And regardless of how it graphs, if you ask me, it’s strangely lacking in subbass. Perhaps it’s the way it slopes; the Yume fails to dig into the deepest of octaves or present adequate rumble. Ultimately, I’m in the business of telling you what you need to know, not what you want to hear: The Yume does not punch beyond its price in the technical department at all.

Select Comparisons

The way I see it, the Yume only has a few, real competitors: the Etymotic ER2XR, the Moondrop Starfield, and the Thieaudio Legacy 4. Sure, you’ve got stuff like the Fiio FH3 and the Thieaudio Legacy 3 which might be more apt comparisons (you know, because they’re 1DD/2BA and all), but honestly, I don’t find either of those IEMs particularly competitive.

Etymotic ER2XR - $100

Despite being down two extra BA drivers, the ER2XR has a pretty significant edge over the Yume when it comes to technical performance. Transient attack is tighter, and some semblance of soundstage depth is actually present despite imaging being the off-cited weak point of the Etymotic monitors. You also have all the inherent coherency and timbre benefits of a single DD.

Why even go for the Yume, then? The answer is simple: comfort. The Yume’s tonality is more pleasing, particularly in the ear compensation which some might find overly forward on the ER2XR. And then physically, of course, you’ll have to deal with the infamous Etymotic triple-flange tips and fit memes.

Moondrop Starfield - $110

It’s a tight battle with the Starfield. The Starfield is a good deal bassier, less clean, but it makes up for it by, again, having a technical edge over the Yume. Midrange-wise, I give the edge to the Yume - at least in terms of tuning competency - as the Starfield exhibits a slight peak at around 4kHz which some might find overly bright. This does impart a sense of clarity over the Yume. By contrast, as opposed to the slightly scratchy treble on the Yume, the treble on the Starfield is somewhat hazy thanks to a 12kHz peak.

If you want a more “organic,” smooth presentation, I’d look at the Starfield. On the other hand, if you prioritize a more neutral midrange, less bass, and a tad more treble energy, I’d gravitate towards the Yume.

Thieaudio Legacy 4 - $195

Here’s another new kid on the block. The Legacy 4 takes on more of a mild V-shape tuning with the upper-midrange and lower-treble emphasized. You can expect the Legacy 4 to be a good deal brighter, more in-your-face with its presentation, lending to a strong technical showing. The Legacy 4 also hits my preferences more closely in the bass with better tactility and slam. The only problem? Listening to the Legacy 4 can be a fatiguing affair, and here, the tonal balance of the Yume really shines through as much preferable for extended listening.

The Verdict

There is no question in my mind that the Yume has lowered the bar of entry for which one might expect not just good, but even stellar tuning. Like so, if one desires the most well-tuned IEM under $200, then I say look no further than the Yume. You will, however, notice a recurring theme in the brief comparisons I made: The Yume’s intangibles are lacking relative to other heavy-hitters in its price bracket. If SeeAudio could reify the Yume’s technical performance a step further, I believe the Yume would be set to take the $200 benchmark position. For now, the rookie brand has demonstrated a gift for tuning, and I excitedly await what SeeAudio decides to release next. Recommended.

Reference Tracks

• Aimer - Hakuchuumu
  • David Nail - Let It Rain
  • Dreamcatcher - Silent Night
  • Girls’ Generation - Galaxy Supernova
  • Illenium - Broken Ones
  • Joe Nichols - Sunny and 75
  • Keith Urban - Defying Gravity (2009)
  • Sabai - Million Days
  • Sawano Hiroyuki - Best of Vocal Works Remastered (2020)
  • Taeyeon - My Voice (2017)
  • Tiffany - I Just Wanna Dance
  • Tom Day - Where Were We
12 Likes

Great review @Precogvision. Another enjoyable read!

1 Like

Very informative review @Precogvision.

2 Likes

I recently bought a set of Audeze iSine LX’s per their Valentine’s Day special. [They sold out shortly after I got mine. I’m not sure if this was actually a close out sale in disguise.]

Initial Impressions

Burn in: They sounded distorted, dithery, and wonky at first – sort of like a rotating room fan placed too close to a wall and blowing curtains around. The midrange was twisted and uncomfortable with vocals. So, I let them play for about 24 hours and tried again. They were much better on the second day.

Fitment: They come with ear hooks in the box and slick silicone tips installed. After struggling with the (fragile feeling) hooks, I decided to remove them and add my own foam tips (New Bee - large). This allows the iSine LX to rest in the outer ear without any hooks, and it is reasonably comfortable for such a large device.

Tone: In contrast with most headphones and IEMs that I own, out of the box these sound dead, hollow, flat, and lifeless. So, I put them on the THX AAA 789 to maximize their technical performance and routed them through a Schiit Loki EQ. They come to life and approximate my version of “neutrality” with the middle range (2nd and 3rd knobs) boosted. I used to own the Audeze LCD-2 Classic (open), which also had a dead spot in the mid-high range. Does Audeze have similar driver issues with all of their lower end products?

Summary: With EQ the Audeze iSine LX is a decent product. They successfully shrink planar technology to in-ear size, and retain the open-air feel of headphones. I see myself using them as one in-ear alternative in the future. But, they look absolutely ridiculous. At least mine are dark…

4 Likes

EQ is why the Cipher cable is so good with the Audeze iSine’s and my LCDi3. If you use ROON, there will be EQ settings for the iSINE 10, iSINE 20 and the LCDi4. This should be without a Cipher cable. The LX’s probably are similar to the iSINE 10 setting. It seems that Audeze is well away of the need for EQ of some sort with these.

Hadn’t thought of running them through my Loki, that was a good idea. I have the 20s, and liked them so much I got the LCDi3. These LX’s were out of stock, I was thinking of getting them for my wife to use with her iPhone 11, but she’s just not an IEM girl. She’ll play music through the iPhone speakers!!!
Or use Airplay to a Sonos, sometimes.

1 Like