iFi Audio - iDSD Diablo Portable Dac/Amp - Official Thread

The iFi 4.4mm > XLR cable is finally here. Created to give you maximum quality balanced signal transfer and minimum interference.

4 Likes

Is the point of this to go from say the zen dac to some balanced amp that isn’t the zen can?

The Diablo actiaky has a 4.4 line out as well. I’m assuming that’s just the direction ifi is going as a whole, so probabaly most useful as a jumper yo go from a dac → amp that isn’t ifi

1 Like

The 4.4 on the signature is a headphone amp out? Can it be a line out too? Or is there a separate 4.4 line out?

Front is PO, back is LO

1 Like

What @Eskamobob1 said in a nutshell is correct! On the back is a 4.4 line-out that you can use our 4.4 to RCA cable with!

4 Likes

Going live to talk about the new iFi iDSD Diablo today (March 1st) at 130pm PST link below:

5 Likes

Thanks for the awesome coverage Tyler, thanks especially for the feedback on the pairings you chose!

Was a great time, appreciated everyone who chimed in for the whole thing or a little!

2 Likes

Thank you! I saw you in the chat… and it helped me by allowing to focus in on the Diablo and less on the chat for this one ha! It’s nice having a SME in the live chat for this stuff!!

2 Likes

Of course! That’s why I’m here.

Being involved in livestreams are always fun and a nice change of pace for me on the day-to-day.

Sure we’d be open to having me or someone on staff join one as well to chat live with the rest of the headphones dot com team!

3 Likes

Pretty confident once I get my bonus in this is going to be my next big step up.

Does anyone happen to have a 6xx and can comment on the pairing?

2 Likes

I do not have a 6xx currently… but, based on the Aeolus listen I did with it… I think it would be a pretty good pairing =) Not that the Aeolus sounds like a 6xx or vice verse… but they are both higher impedance and have a nice warmth and midrange to them…

Looking forward to your thoughts on it when it comes in!

1 Like

Thank you! Appreciate the insight. I’m back on the fence between this and the Signature.

Another out of curiosity question, what is the 4.4 out output on the back intended for? Speakers?

1 Like

I believe it is for powered speakers… it acts as a preamp/DAC that way I believe…

@SebastienChiu correct me if I’m wrong please!

1 Like

You’re correct! That’s what it’s intended for :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the info! Nice to know I have the flexibility for powered speakers if I ever go that route.

not that I need to (lol!)

1 Like

No, there is no “4.4 to RCA cable” included. It is 4.4mm to XLR.

The good news is that my custom XLR to RCA cable, made without the standard pin 3 to ground connection, works just fine delivering balanced to unbalanced line out.

That was what I meant, mis-word on my end! I meant to say 4.4mm to XLR.

Glad to hear re: the XLR to RCA working out for you!

I would like to hear @Torq 's view of this. It seems like this would result in one channel’s ground being used for both channels which seems like a bad idea for a balanced amp output.

Hopefully I’m wrong but either way it’s good to add knowledge.

It would be a problem going the other way, but in this case you’re summing the grounds from balanced into single ended jack.