iFi ZEN CAN Signature 6XX (Amp)

Well, with experience they’re relatively audible … at least if you have a non-shifted reference.

I believe that EqualizerAPO uses (or at least has an option for) linear-phase filtering. I don’t use it (I don’t run Windows), so am not sure, and am far too lazy to do the research. Generally very low-latency filters will be non-linear phase (good for gaming - where latency matters, not so good for music) and higher-latency tend to be linear-phase.

Personally I use DMG’s EQuilibrium (which lets you configure FIR vs. IIR and linear vs. non-linear etc) … though they have cheaper, easier to use, options for both Windows and macOS (provided your music player is plug-in capable)

1 Like

One more question for you. That 5-6k boost was present with only ‘6XX’ mode enabled? Did you take measurements of the ‘XSpace’ mode as well? I’m really curious about what that’s doing exactly.

Yes, just the HD6XX mode. The ‘3D’ function is wild. Here are some more measurements for that.

5 Likes

It looks like it’s just a high shelf filter starting at 300 hz. That not what I was expecting based on my experienced with ifi IDSD black label

I think it’s actually a bit lower down. This is just normalized around 300hz. If you look at the first graph it shows below 200hz.

Have you read the discussion of the CAN and DAC at Drop? Lots of criticism, especially of the DAC. Given the looks and price delta over the regular model, I take them both as marketing/image products.

So using this FR response as an example with 3D effect equaling a huge treble boost it seems to me that soundstage and treble are linked very closely. I have found this with tube rolling as well. Interesting.

Oh you’re right. Are you able to plot the differences (ie subtract) of the measurements? That would make the exact effect clearer. Looking closer at it seems like the boosted highs aren’t boosted evenly

Yeah the distance to midrange I think is part of it. But at the same time, upper mids get boosted as well, and that’s normally where you see the ‘fake soundstage’ stuff in FR. So I actually think there’s something else going on as well because it does sound noticeably wider for its soundstage. The FR difference may just be the consequence of that as well.

1 Like

You could be correct. I’ve just really noticed the correlation with the treble response as its generally been a negative experience. Same thing with the 3D on the black label, you could attenuate it a bit with the xbass but why bother.

1 Like

Yeah, enabling both gives it a slightly more ‘v’ type of sound with the boosted treble and harman shelf match haha. What’s cool about this though is that the ‘HD6XX’ bass boost on the signature edition hits the 2013 target and not the 2018 target. This means they probably also thought the 2018 bass was too much for the HD6XX to handle. Smart move there at least.

3 Likes

Yes. More bass does not equal good bass. I’d much rather have a tight bass response than some massive rumbling that bleeds everywhere. Smart move by IFI here then.

3 Likes

I’m thinking that people who can already do those kinds of things are not the likely market for this product.

I see this as targeted at people who have a Senn 6** are their primary or best h/p, and also don’t have much investment in other hardware. By offering a simple push-button calibration curve that will likely make a sound that many like even better, this amp is (arguably) more attractive to the numerous 6** buyers than other amps in its price range. If the owner doesn’t like the changes, well s/he still has a competent amp with the special sound-shaping turned off.

LOTS of people go down the rabbit hole of trying to tune their gear’s sound with tubes. That’s all hit-or-miss experimentation, or reliance on word of mouth from other experimenters.

In contrast, this is a solution that is purpose-engineered to address some of the weaker areas of the Senn 6**'s performance. Any given person may feel it hits the mark or not, but it’s a easy and inexpensive thing to try. Especially if you’re shopping for your first h/p amp.

Maybe.

But the question was “could you get the same boost/effect with EQ”.

4 Likes

How does it sound apart from 6xx, bass, 3d features simply as a discrete class a amp. How is it compared to good measuring class ab opamp based solid states like l30, heresy, atom ? Only other discrete class a i knew is the Asgard 3.

1 Like

I love this review, great job but I’m a bit confused now looking at the EQ curve above comparing to the comments in the text.

The blue line is from the Zen Dac “TrueBass” feature, right? The TrueBass button on the Zen Dac is boosting bass most of them all (potentially leading to distortion for the HD6XX)? Comparing to the HD6XX button on the Zen Can signature and the Zen Can bass boost button giving approximately the same amount of bass boost? In additon HD6XX button also boosting low highs (5-6 kHz).

I am correct in my conclusions?

How did the Zen Can perform as an amp only device, irrespective of its features?