JAZZ Thread/Group/Discussion

Hello Thread. Wake up Thread.

Jazz is the quintessentially American music. Maybe we should track it over the years.
Let’s start with ragtime. Wiki says:

2 Likes

Wasn’t sure where to put this post - it’s about the Lyr 3, and entry level Grados, and music that just makes you smile. Yeah, I’m a Steve Smith and Vital Information fan, and I hopped on ROON to see what there was to read. I’m only familiar with the recent albums, and there was an article on this:

Its not an early album, but it is over 20 years old, and it celebrates the rhythms and tunes that got the band interested in music in the first place. In short, it’s just fun.

It’s also a nice workout for headphones, and Smith’s drumming is, as always fantastic. Here he isn’t the centerpiece of the music, but is always playing around and just a wee bit more (a lot more) sophisticated than the original.

So, I’m starting to be convinced that having a ton of clean power to drive a headphone can bring out the best in any headphone, including the entry-level Grado SR-60e. Yeah, I did a $10 upgrade on the pads, and did the plastic electrical tape upgrade, but they really sound nice with this content.

The album is recommended listening for anyone.

5 Likes

Even if I weren’t a big jazz fan, hearing a beautifully remastered album like Duke’s Indigos (2015?) is an awesome experience. When certain engineers do a loving remaster like this, it elevates the art.

3 Likes