Massdrop x Airist Audio R-2R DAC - Review

Aww yeah, that’s great to hear! :grin:
I managed to get in on that shipping upgrade so it should be pretty quick!

I have a SMSL SU-8 so I am curious how the R2R build compares, especially with all of the filters and sound tweaks you can do on the unit. The reviews all seem good and I’m looking forward to the ‘sweetness’ in the mids as some have put it.

I’m really struggling not to pull the trigger on the Verites, especially considering how gorgeous the Ziricote wood is for this limited batch…

2 Likes

I’ll be posting some pictures of my Ziricote Verite that just came in soon!

But you can see camera phone pics here: What's in the box!

1 Like

Here are the two reviews from this site so far on the unit: Massdrop x Airist Audio R-2R DAC - Review & Impressions Index

@Torq does a much better job of describing what he is hearing… my review is a little rough as I am still learning how to compare, and hear the differences in DACs. But I will say this DAC was the first DAC where I actually picked up on the differences for the first time when I did the review. Also lots of pictures in both posts…I think I was still shooting with a camera phone at this point but uncertain…still learning photography too…so many hobbies so little time :wink:

4 Likes

IMG_20190618_192349_01

This may take awhile…

2 Likes

I just stumbled on to this DAC. Looks very interesting.
I have the RME ADI-2 and Modi 3 on DAC duties, but are again interest in an R-2R Dac.
Had a Modi Multibit at some point, but found it to be slighly harsh and perhasp a bit grey.I knew a few members here have heard these DACs I own and could perhaps give a bit of a rundown on how they stack up. I am actually considering selling my RME dac as I I do not use the pre-amp/DSP functions at all and while the headphone output is decent, I think I might be better served with an seperate DAC and amp.

2 Likes

Sorry for the delay, I have the ADI-2DAC, and have had the Modi3. I currently use the Airist R-2R about the same as the RME ADI-2DAC. I think I might actually prefer the “sound” out of the R-2R, but that also might be due to me being on a tube kick right now, and prefer the “sweeter” sound of the R-2R with my gear.

Now when reviewing headphones, or amps I’ll use the RME ADI-2DAC due to it being more “neutral”/“un-colored”

I actually really enjoy both of them as DACs, I also ordered a Grace S DAC balanced to take on some of my balanced duties, and to be honest at the price point is an easy buy for a balanced DAC to play around with.

If you are having doubts about something you might as well just remove it from your chain and use the funds to play around with other gear that might suit you better… You can always go back and buy something again (most of the time lol) if you find you miss it.

Good luck on this never ending hunt for gear and sound :wink:

4 Likes

Hey @TylersEclectic / Tyler,

you say it - what a rabbit hole, “this never ending hunt for gear and sound”

a comparison between Grace S DAC balanced, the R-2R and SMSL SU-8 would be very interesting.

For me especially, because I recieve the THX 789 AAA at the end of sept(may-drop) and at the moment I use 10% an old SMSL M6(DAC/Amp) and 90% of my time the ifi xDSD, if Earstudio ES 100 and Fiio BTR3 are not counted.

I will add probably one of these DACs in near future.
Not a big fan of the remote-only-approach with the SMSL SU-8. But it´s in germany the cheapest and easiest solution for me. No Taxes and Prime the next Day delivery for 210 Euros.

But that is not all that matters.

Very interested in your or others thoughts.

2 Likes

My review of the Grace SDAC Balanced includes a basic comparison to the SMSL SU-8. The short version of which is that both are entirely competent, but overall I preferred listening to the Grace unit.

The RDAC is a different kettle of fish … and while I found it more enjoyable, overall, than either, that is not necessarily down to it being a technically more proficient DAC (i.e. it won’t measure as well).

2 Likes

thank you for the link to the review and your short answer on top - very nice of you!
I Read the review and now that I know a bit more of the comparison between the SU-8 and the Grace S DAC balanced, I have to say - I´m more of a treble guy. Not so into warmth or base head if asked.

My current headphones are the 1990 Pro(prefer A-pads), 770 Pro 80 Ohm and Sennheiser 58x and 660s, AKG 701.
I had and miss my HD600, Joined the Drop for 177x Go and save up for the Focal Elegia to the end of this year. Nothing (except the 58x maybe) very warm, laid back or base oriented. Next year I plan getting Ananda´s … so the beginner in me says, that I look for the cleanest, best measuring sound-chain and change the sound with the headphones.
I can understand the fun you have with more laid back (a tad maybe) DACs, while having other options like the RME ADI or others(more reference units) at home.

my fear is, that the hole system maybe a bit too transparent, dynamic and fatiguing after some time, if I choose the SU-8, with the upcoming 789 and my 1990s for example. Thought about adding the ifi iTube2 to the hole thing… but that brings us off topic in this thread. - sorry for that.

3 Likes

There is a smoking deal on an Elegia on the FS section, plus it is from the owners of Headphones.com so no stress for buying. If I didn’t already have a set I would have swooped it up Teradactyl style!

2 Likes

had a nice Elegia deal in germany at Projekt-Audio(where I bought the ifi xDSD new for 400 instead 449) for 699 Euro whitch is even cheaper than importing for 699 Dollars(in US was the same deal 699 instead of 899)+ Taxes and I want a new one.
Had more than the regular 899 for Elegia saved up and then came the 177x Go drop and the 789 in may + SMSL SU-8.
So at the end of the year I saved up for a new Elegia- no problem!
But wow 499 is very good price
AND the Ananda- hurts my heart. But not at the moment

1 Like

I had the SMSL on order from Amazon when it was available for 170€ on prime day recently but cancelled the order later on because of the multiple comments of people who encountered all kind of technical issues with the unit. If you want a (cheap) DAC with the new sabre chip it might make more sense to go with the pro-ject pre box digital S2 which was reviewed favourably by @Torq
I don’t want to derail this thread much more though.
I’m also be interested in getting the Airist or the Modi MB right now but can’t decide which way to go yet.

2 Likes

I’m preferable to the RDAC over the Multibit…but, they are both great options, I think the RDAC is “sweeter” sounding, but I haven’t had extensive time with the Multibit to give a solid rec there though.

1 Like

Sweet sounds good :smile:
Does the RDAC need to run 24/7 like the Schiit MBs?

1 Like

I don’t think so but, I’ve read it takes some time to warm up and hit its optimal performance. But I haven’t noticed any major changes by turning it on and listening right away, I’m sure a more discerning ear could.

That being said it runs cool and I haven’t turned mine off for awhile…mostly because I forget it is on…it is the only thing I leave on by accident occasionally.

3 Likes

ok short update - went for the Elegia 499 deal
could not resist - hahaa - positive and happy headshake - I knew me

so the SMSL SU-8 will wait a month or I save up a month longer for the Airist R2R (if available)
and I use my ifi xDSD >line out> with the THX 789 AAA(may drop should ship end oft september)
my preordered DT 177x Go drop should arrive at the same time with the THX 789 - that goes on sale -can´t cancel the order - or my wife gets it as christmas gift… will see

thanks to the community

3 Likes

Some nice gear to come. Hope you like your new stuff. Have a great time with them especially the THX 789 AAA and elegia deal.

1 Like

thank you Paul

2 Likes

The Elegia is very easy to drive, so I think your current gear will work very well while you wait on your new toys :wink:

1 Like

yes it was used to audition the Elegia and many others like AOC for example
at our workstation runs a SMSL M6- also quite cabable

1 Like