Massdrop x Grace SDAC Balanced - Official Thread

How does this Grace balanced compare to something like the Cambridge DAC Magic (balanced) and/or the Matrix Mini-I (both standard and pro version)?
Both those DACs used higher tier DAC chips on release, so I think the mid tier AKM chip seems a possible drawback.
I’m surprised Grace/MD didn’t up the game for a few dollars more, as I think they’d have made up the difference in volume on reputation alone if they’d gone with a higher end AKM chip.

But it obviously depends on how well it’s implemented.

It’s much less money than the DAC Magic or the Matrix but those units have been around for awhile.

I’m wondering if Grace managed to work some magic at this low price and if anyone has read a review or heard/compared it to either (or both) of these other DACS?
Lastly…is it a truly balanced DAC or a “split” SE signal? And is there a dedicated chip per channel?
I’ve read conflicting opinions on what constitutes a balanced unit.
With amps it seems a highly debated topic but “dual-mono” configuration with separate power supply per channel seems to cut it.

I’m not knowledgeable enough electronically to know what to look for in a fully balanced DAC but realize there’s more to it than just splitting a SE signal.

1 Like