Meze Empyrean over-ear Headphones - Official Thread

Finally got my hands on a pair of Empyreans to call my own. They have always been in my top 5, but now that I have been able to listen to them for extended sessions, they have moved up to rivaling my LCD-3s. I think they are a better match for the Benchmark HPA4 and SPL Phonitor XE vs. my warmer sounding tube amp. I usually EQ my headphones just a little bit, but I run the Empyreans with no EQ when using the leather pads. The “suede” pads give them a darker sound that also emphasizes the bass a bit, which I really like, but I do take away 2-3 dB at around 200-250 Hz.
I did not upgrade to Meze’s more premium cables, and I am just fine with it. Although they look really nice, I am still on the fence on if I think a $500 headphone cable will make a difference, or enough of a difference, over the stock cable. I would love to hear people’s opinions on this. I will go back and re-read this thread to see what has already been mentioned, but I didn’t see much about their upgrade cable the first time around.
In my opinion, these are one of the best looking headphone out there right now, but more importantly (ok, maybe just as important :laughing:) is how the design makes these light and extremely comfortable. If nitpicking, I would like them to clamp just a bit tighter.
How long is their “burn in” or “break in” period, if there is one? If you made it this far then thanks for reading! Didn’t mean for this to turn into a mini review, just wanted to share my initial impression and see if they were similar to what others have experienced. Anyone have a favorite amp or DAC and AMP pairing with these?

10 Likes

Congratulations!

Those are probably my favorite design I’ve seen. They’re beautiful.

I haven’t heard them yet, but I’m very curious as these tend to be polarizing.

Enjoy!

6 Likes

Congratz! They’re my favorites. :slight_smile:

I have both the Copper and Silver upgrade cables, and I don’t think they sound different. Nothing I can pick up on anyways. :slight_smile:

There isn’t any, according to Meze themselves.

I eventually settled for a Schiit Bifrost 2 + Feliks Audio Euforia. I shared an in-depth review on the Euforia where you can read more of the context behind that decision: Feliks Audio Euforia - Official Thread - #2 by Jsim

Happy listening!

9 Likes

I recently picked up the old gunmetal which I would sell to get the copper option lol I did get a deal of open box but if they where open someone spent too much time repacking them.

2 Likes

@ProfFalkin, how are the Empyrean on the T4?
(And your general impressions of the Empyrean would be nice)

2 Likes

My favorite amp dac setup is the Hugo TT2 and Woo WA33 or Felix Euphoria AE.

3 Likes

Thanks you very much! Lol, I love posting on here when I get new stuff because you guys, especially @ValentineLuke, makes it feel like a celebration instead of buyers remorse ha ha ha :laughing: I really do appreciate it though

@Jsim Thank you for your honest opinions on the cables, and the DAC and AMP recommendations. I have read a lot of great things about the Feliks Euphoria, I just have not had a chance to audition on yet. Your review was very good and very in depth. It was a good read. I begrudgingly still have my Bitfrost 2, but I love how it sounds so I will try it with some of my amps.

@BondDaBoom It’s cool you got a good deal! I really like the gunmetal to be honest. I though you already sold your gunmetal version and got the copper version, no? Or did you sell those and get the gunmetal ones again? I am confused but it doesn’t matter as long as you ended up with a pair that you like. The Hugo TT2 and WA33 does sound like a great combination!

7 Likes

I enjoyed listening to them at the Tampa Hi Fi Show in February, although I never really got a fix on their sound. Whereas the Utopias, Audezes and HiFiMan TOTL models made immediate and very clear impressions (mainly testing on the Benchmark gear – which I didn’t love). One thing for sure, they are the most comfortable headphones I’ve ever had on my head. I’d imagine between comfort and looks (and the deluxe packaging) they could sound worse than great and still be a must-have for anyone but the ultimate headphone geek. But I’ve hardly seen any complaints about them, other than things that can probably be fixed with EQ or choice of components. Another thing I’ve noticed is that they are not much discounted on the used market, which means demand must be high even now, which means if you decide to sell them you will probably only lose a couple hundred bucks. And I bet very few owners are selling them. (In contrast, you can almost always find a pair of Utopias going for $1500 off list, although those have been on the market longer).

2 Likes

Had gun metal originally sold them missed them bought the copper sold them to fund my WA33 ended up ,missing them again, tried to order black but headamp sold last one so I took open box gunmetal. They where not used but justin must like me so he put it as open. I was expecting to get the old carboard box but they came in the new box design. So these headphones are a true testament of build and sound quality. Now if I sold them it’s because I want the copper version as thats my favorite look.

3 Likes

Wow, lol, that is a true testament! That WA33 looks incredible. Haven’t heard that one yet. I am sure the combo sounds incredible

My review:

(Read as: What I’m willing to say so far.)

These are buttery smooth and rich. The bass and mids are just so creamy. Incredibly comfortable. Some of the best staging I’ve heard. Absolutely perfect! …

… for a small portion of the Audiophile population.

Let me elaborate. These need a lot of extra effort to find a synergistic amp pairing. I got the Jotunheim because, from memory, I recalled it as being quite a lively sounding amp. It is indeed that. It’s also the best pairing I’ve found so far. That means it pairs better than the other amps in my inventory. (Black Widow 2, Asgard 3, T4, Crack, ADI-2)

The extra energy from the Jot is not perfect though. I still wish there was a bit more energy up in the mid to upper treble region. (Keep in mind, this is coming from a treble sensitive person who can’t wear a stock Hd800 for more than 15 min without getting fatigued. In fact, I’d rather not listen to them in the first place.)

So, having owned a Mjolnir 2, I recall there was a Seimens tube that made the amp sound too bright for my Eikons. I’m wondering if it wouldn’t be a better pairing. Or maybe the Phonitor X? GSX?

I hear so much potential in this headphone, and I am almost there, it just needs a little more… something.

That’s why I think these are not for everyone. It’s going to take a lot to get synergy right. Especially if you’re adverse to EQing them. More to come as I keep exploring.

(Who knows, I might even try EQ.)

9 Likes

I completely get and respect that.

I’ve tried nearly every pad combo tuning my Lawton mod for similar reasons. Fortunately I’ve found my combo that’s working for me.

I will say that I was wanting the same for my mod (a little more sparkle because I knew it was there) and I recently received a custom cable ordered months ago. I went with a Hybrid copper/silver and low and behold, I got the sparkle that I wanted. It’s not a huge boost in treble, but it gave me that little bit of sparkle that I was missing.

Maybe a silver hybrid will give you that extra “something“.

Cheers. :v:t4:

8 Likes

I know exactly what you mean, and for me it was the Feliks Euforia that did it. It opens up the dynamic capabilities in the Empyrean that I didn’t get from any solid-state amp. If you can find an opportunity to demo one, I’d encourage you to do so!

3 Likes

One of these days I might get to hear one. The Elise was one of my first kilobuck amps, and it was pretty bad, so I’m hopeful that the Euforia is better.

2 Likes

Yeah the Elise doesn’t handle planars all that well, and it has a warmer/softer sound signature that doesn’t go well with the Empyrean. I’ve auditioned them both, and I can say the Euforia is a different beast for sure. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can’t wait to see how good the new Feliks balance amp turns out being.
Right now I’m about to test the Empyrean on Euphoria AE with TS 5998 power tubes I have the gold PSvane drivers in. Headphone cable is silver from ZMF.

It sounds good really good. Bass on these tubes is strong a little more brightness up top. The rest is full body.

The deep pads help with making sounds further away. It keeps what I think is a dark clarity.

One thing is this combo sounds better then my WA33 setup there’s more soul to it.

5 Likes

For reference I’m newer to the headphone scene and have only heard Klipsch HP-3’s before the Empyreans. As such they are v shaped and the treble and highs there are exaggerated. This left me with a deflated feeling when I first listened to the Empyreans. As other reviewers have mentioned you need to spend time with them to get a real appreciation for them. They are certainly tuned for a more laid back listen vs. analytical as was covered at the top of the thread. That said though I do feel that the detail is there its just hiding a bit behind the overall tuning. I have Schiit gear driving them: Bifrost2 -> Lyr3 -> This Tube. it seems every day I listen it’s sounding better and better to me. Not sure if it’s tube burn in or what. (Tube is 4days old) :smile:

5 Likes

Yeah I found myself appreciating them more and more as I was exploring more different genres of music and rediscovering old favorites. Almost anything sounds great with the Empyrean. And I agree, the detail is there but it’s not forced onto you. I don’t find them lacking in technicalities as much as some others are saying, and I find the bass and soundstage to be exceptional, even for its MSRP.

That’s a solid setup! In my experience tubes really help to give the soundstage that 3-dimensional feeling. Even running the Euforia as preamp into my Asgard 3 already makes a considerable difference.

3 Likes

Is the Silver cable you mention from Meze or a third party? The description of the one on their site indicates a sonic changes similar to what you describe but I was skeptical… if you noticed a difference I’m more interested.

1 Like

Hey,

I don’t have the Empyrean (though I’d love to hear them), but I purchased aftermarket cables:

The headphone the cables were purchase for are a Lawton modded Fostex TH610, and I did notice an increase in “clarity”. It basically added a little bit of sparkle to the highs. Nothing major, but that last little bit that was missing (maybe 5-10%) and it was audible to me. I have been told that BioDyna drivers are sensitive, and someone else experienced similar with the same headphone but a different silver hybrid cable.

I liked them enough that I purchase the same cable or my Focal Clear (with the appropriate connectors of course). I actually received them today!

I hope that helps, if you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Cheers!

5 Likes