MrSpeakers & Dan Clark Audio

Dan Clark has a new ÆON 2 called the Noire. Just saw it on their site today and didn’t see anyone reference it yet. I’ll be anxious to find out how they compare to the ÆON 2 Closed other than color.

ÆON 2 Noire is the latest edition of our award-winning ÆON 2 Closed headphone. Featuring a bold metallic black paint ÆON 2 Noire sports a perforated ear-pad to deliver an all-new sound. In fact, ÆON 2 Noire’s tuning almost exactly aligns to the “Harmon Curve,” gently boosting bass and treble compared to ÆON 2 Closed. The result is a “lighter” sounding midrange and a soundstage that moves the “stage” a bit further from the listener for a wider and deeper space*”

7 Likes

Yes I spoke to Andy this morning from DCA. He said that there were some minor tuning changes to the driver of the A2C to go along with it shipping with the Perforated pads.

I’ve seen quite a few people that I trust say the A2C & A2O are quite a bit better with the Perforated pads so excited to see how they sound! He let me know they are most likely going to start shipping next week.

4 Likes

Looks like I’m going to need to grab some perforated pads for my flow 2 then!

6 Likes

@ProfFalkin, Asgard 3 and Modius have arrived in the mail today and pairs exceptionally well with Mrspeakers Ether. It was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. Bifrost maybe in future after I upgrade my ears :slight_smile:

I reckon after some burn in, the way it sounds will be even better but initial impressions going from Nad d1050 to Schiit is favourable (excuse my inability to express what I hear in words, giving it a shot):

Ethers + Nad d1050: upside, very precise on instrument and vocal texture/timbre, perhaps a bit clinical (which is also enjoyable in its own way), downside, fatigue in an hour or so.

Focal Clear Pro + Nad d1050: upside, easy to listen to (less focus on detail than Ethers, more of a chill out session than critical listening), warmish, tight bass, downside, vocals are a bit more laid back, does not pick up the subleties that the Ether picks up (e.g. liveliness/emotionality in voices like it’s whispering in your ear, the performers’ instrumental subtle variations or dynamic errors).

Swapping out the Nad d1050 to Schiit, the Ethers retain the whispering quality, improves in bass spaciousness and I’m not experiencing fatigue like I did before. Effects are not worlds apart but quite noticeable and most importantly, more enjoyable. The Focal Clear Pro on the other hand, had vocals come forward a bit (better), the bass was more detailed. Hopefully it doesn’t fatigue over time.

My favourite thing to so is to pick up Ethers when I want to be emotionally engaged by the vocals (singing is like whispering into your ear) or when listening to live performances to hear it like I’m there. I pick up the Focal Clear Pros when I do not want to do critical listening but just relax, it’s like I’m watching live music perform in front of me, close, but not so close up it’s constantly demanding my attention.

I ended up changing rooms so there is more desk space to prevent vertical stack. Turns out music will make people move.

3 Likes

That’ what it was invented for :+1: :dancer: :man_dancing: :heavy_heart_exclamation:

I’ve seen the Noire on DCA website last night. I believe it will be important to see if there’s been added only the perforated pads or if there’s been a revision of the tuning of the driver. The liner notes on the website talk about “Harmon Curve” and if the Noire effectively have a response more centred to that target they will be something I’ll take in serious consideration. Reading between the lines it looks like there has been a further emphasis on basses and highs at expense of mids. Time will tell what is all about. Thank you for spotting these @anon36506748

As I understand it, it’s just a black Aeon 2 with the perf pads.

Some measurements show that the Aeon 2 with the perf pads are very (very) close to the Harmon curve so many people have been changing out the pads. Also many (including me) have wished for a black version of the Aeon 2.

Put those two things together and you’ve got the Aeon Noir.

Yesterday I had actually bought myself a set of Aeon 2’s and perf pads. Then I saw that the noir had been released and on sale. It saved me almost $200! And black!!

1 Like

Waiting for your impressions. I’ve read they will be released at the end of December. Happy you find this solution in the right moment.

1 Like

Looks like a new set, AEON CLOSED X, were just released on Drop. I was inches away from picking up a pair of Campfire Cascades when I saw these. Now I’m just not sure where to throw my money!

oooh I have the Open X I wonder how the Closed compares!

I’ve owned the original blue AEON Flow Closed for a couple years. I don’t see the point in upgrading, as (1) all closed headphones should be avoided if possible due to closed-cup fatigue, (2) Dan Clark’s folder planar drivers have limited technical potential, and (3) 13 ohm headphones demand a powerful desktop amp for good/best performance.

If you want and need stationary, desktop closed headphones they are a good choice. No regrets here. If you want to travel or use a portable amp, look at smaller, lighter active noise canceling products. I use ANC headphones or general IEMs for travel.

3 Likes

Although I’m really happy with the Aeon 2 Noire, I agree with most of your points. I’m using the Noire with a little Qudelix 5k amp and I love it. Would I walk outside with it? Nope. AirPods Pro have that duty. So, I think it’s good to think of them as portable as in relocating from stationary position A to stationary position B. Traveling and want to use them in a plane? Yep, I think these fit.

As for sound, you have a ton more experience than me, but I’m not sure what technical limitations these planar have.

1 Like

Each type of transducer (e.g., dynamic drivers, planar magnetic, electrostatic, etc.) has the characteristics of the relevant physics and implementation technologies. To my ears dynamic drivers are temporally integrated (sounds come out at the same time) and punchy (moving cones push a lot of air), but suffer from unwanted resonances and frequency roll-off because one driver makes all sounds. They “tend to sound like the material they were made of,” so plastic sounds plasticy, metal sounds metallic, and paper sounds cottony, etc.

Planar drivers have different characteristics and limitations. They generally want a LOT of power (current) to reach their potential, and generate sound across the full area of the driver. To my ears they sound diffuse or dithered, and create a slightly hazy background atmosphere versus dynamic punch.

I previously owned Audeze and HiFiMan planar models. The Audeze was indeed ‘overly spicy’ in the treble and unpleasant. The HiFiMan sounded really good (better than Dan Clark AFC to me), but died after a year of use. [Quick deaths are par for the course with HiFiMan…sigh…]

Closed headphones are sometimes necessary but never desirable from a sound perspective. The cups reflect sound and trap air, and this leads to air compression fatigue over time. Closed headphones can sound great for 1 to 2 hours but then worse and worse. If I listen for longer or use them every day, my ears start to go pop-pop-pop and I start to get twitchy. This never ever happens with vented or open headphones. Way back (1980s) I was told stories of how people used to insert plastic drinking straws between the earpads and head to vent the air pressure.

5 Likes

Short question: Are the Aeon RT closed on the DCA website exactly the same as the DROP + Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X?
If not, what are the differences?

Sorry, I don’t know if they’re exactly the same. I will say that I have the Aeon RT closed from DCA and like it quite well. Compared to my AKG K371, it’s less “accurate” sounding but more enjoyable and much more comfortable to wear. It does require a proper amp though.

3 Likes

In the meantime I have the Aeon RT closed in house. :wink:

2 Likes

Pretty damn excited about this new stealth can tbh. Seems like the tonality at least isn’t mega fucked. Now hopefully they can get timbre and detail right. Would love to see something actualy compete at totl levels in a closed back

Has it’s own dedicated thread now, look over here:

Lol, missed that entierly

1 Like
3 Likes