Nectar Hive Estat

Would like to see a short head to head comparison. I’ve thought long and hard about getting an L700. When the Hive appeared on my event horizon, I just went for it. The reviews I could find seemed to put it in a similar class. While I will eventually do a head to head with my SR-5n, they aren’t really competitors. The 5 is from the 1980s, and is standard bias. It uses mechanical fuel injection and has drum brakes. Oops, that’s a different discussion. Our garage is filled with my wife’s grandfather’s car, an Olds F-85 restomod. But the point is similar. Materials differ. Technology changes.

I think my amp, the modded SRM-T1S is still pretty competent. It supplies both standard and pro bias, and was updated by an expert. (The man from Iceland). It may not be in the category of a KGSS but @spritzer says it’s most of the way there. Good enough for my ears certainly, and has plenty of power to drive the Hive.

4 Likes

I am currently working on this.

4 Likes

@pennstac here you go:
It’s set for tomorrow

3 Likes

I’ve only gotten 2/3 of the way through, will finish later. Very nice and thoughtful review. Many people still think the STAX seems fragile. Those earpads on the SR-L700 are not cheap, they are lambskin, and the top pads for the Lambda series.

I can A/B my STAX SR-5n and the Hive because the STAX SRM-T1S has 3 outputs and is capable of driving a both the HIVE and my old STAX at the same time.

When I write up a review here, I’ll talk about my comparisons a bit. I like the Dave Grusin / Lee Ritenour collaborations an awful lot for critical listening. The first 16 seconds of Rose Pedals on Rhythm Sessions is excellent for A/B comparisons, and the River Songs from their Two Worlds album has one of the cleanest female vocals. You ought to listen on both your STAX and the Hives to compare without all of the electronica in the way. I found the Hive was quite engaging - but I still have 3 or 4 other phones to try and test against.

I’m starting by comparing to the HD-6xx, playing from my Mac Mini, using ROON, to the Schiit Bifrost 2. The SE output drives my Lyr3 (with Psvane Treasure Globe) that I know is a great match for the HD-6xx. The balanced goes into the Mjolnir-modded STAX SRM-T1S (tube amp). I do NOT generally leave both STAX normal-bias and the Hives plugged in, as it does make the amp work harder.

I finally got my wife in to listen to that first 16 seconds of Rose Pedals - three times each on the HD-6xx and on the Hive. She knows music, but is not a headphone fan, and has incredible tolerance of music played on an iPhone speaker. She likes my real speakers, but is more than happy with a Sonos One.

Her first comment on listening to the Hive for the first time was that everything was wider and clearer. A bit heavier (not necessarily more) bass on the HD-6xx, but on the Hive she immediately noticed the very quiet cymbal, and the microdynamics of fingers on guitar strings. This is the fine woman that gifted me with the Hifiman HE-560s (I still need to compare them) last year and my VPI Prime Scout turntable a couple of years before that. She claims she married me for my stereo, but has historically tried to improve it. Probably something Freudian there. Or just normal operating procedure for the female of the species.

9 Likes

Thanks, I’m enjoying this album now!

3 Likes

Hello @pennstac!

Thank you so much for your feedback!, also info regarding the pads.

I am still debating if this an investment I am willing to make, I am not sure yet if estats is going to be something ill fully invest in. So far I can tell you that I am enjoying every bit of it and I am most definitely having fun.

This is an amazing description, you are hitting so many points that I just don’t know how to describe due to my lack of technical knowledge. I am trying to get there :slight_smile:

Super awesome to hear your enjoyment and how well you and your wife can describe it.

Bravo!

I am really looking forward to your final impression :smiley:

3 Likes

Well she didn’t say “microdynamics”. I think she said “click click slidey noise”. Then she went on to talk about the sound when the string began to vibrate.

I thought it was interesting, because she isn’t a headphone girl. The few times I’ve been able to drag her into an audio store, she goes for the high-end speakers. B&W 803’s, Wilson Audio Sabrina and Sasha, the old Martin Logan Odessy, Quad ESL 2912. I admit to asking her to listen to speakers I like, but that is where she goes.

4 Likes

I think you were using the iFi iCAN and the iESL energizer. Was the energizer a loaner unit? I know it’s an expensive piece of equipment. It’s also not the way most e-stat users roll, despite the great flexibility of that particular product.

I would like to hear from some other estat users what they think of the iESL paired with anything compared to a dedicated electrostatic headphone amp. I simply don’t know enough. I’ve heard plenty of criticism for most standard energizers, and found a night and day difference when I upgraded from the SRD-6 energizer to the SRM-T1S amp. I know that Birger does make a modern take on the SRD-7, and has a modified SRM-T1S just like mine on his site now, in addition to more ummm monetarily adventurous hardware. I think his modifed SRM-T1S was a steal for $1400, but then I’m too tight to blow the big bucks on KGSShv, Blue Hawaii, or the flagship Woo.

2 Likes

Oh, its mine! :smiley: I meant that I am not sure if I am ready to invest in something bigger if I am unsure that this is the waters I am going to navigate for a while :smiley:

The iESL is a stand-alone energizer, and it does not require the iCan pro to run. I went this route for simplicity, drive, compact, and some more points which I will be pointing out in a review that I have coming up.

I will be able to answer that soon. I have a dedicated energizer coming for a demo.

1 Like

I’m glad you’re trying out that album. I referenced the first 16 seconds of the Rose Pedals cut because there is a light airy cymbal that I heard on the Hives very distinctly, and at first didn’t hear at all on the Sennheiser HD-6xx at a similar volume. Both running off Tidal on Mac Mini to Bifrost 2, then it splits to Lyr 3 for the HD and STAX amp for the Hive.

When I knew the cymbal was there, I could hear it, but just barely on the HD. Turning up the volume, and it was definitely there, but the detail was just head and shoulders better on the Hive.

3 Likes

Anyone tried to earpad-roll? Either bigger Brainwavz or ZMF pads?
I can tell my bigger ears won’t be happy with the stock 100mm Brainwavz round pads!

My big old hairy ears seem OK with the stock pads. But I’ve looked around, haven’t yet pulled the trigger on other pads. Interested in the experience others have.

Stock are Brainwavz 100mm. One obvious option is the Brainwavz XL pads which are 110mm.
IF I end up buying the Hive - I am OK with investing some extra $$$ and buying Dekoni or ZMF pads, but wanted to read others’ experience first so I can buy ONE pair of pads and not start investing a lot of time and money in trial-and-error with 5 different pads :wink:

Also, thoughts on a good case for storage when not in use? I am NOT planning to take it on the road, so being small / compact / portable is NOT a factor.

Thanks in advance for any tips and thoughts on the pads and storage case.

3 Likes

Maybe growing hair on my big ears would be the solution… :rofl:

1 Like

I had been thinking about ZMF, which I understand are compatible. I looked at STAX pads for SR-007, and they are synthetic leather :frowning:

I see that moon-audio.com has quite a few models of replacement pads, and our own headphones.com has several that may work, I’d ask. https://www.headphones.com/collections/ear-pads-tips-1

It looks like pads that fit the Beyerdynamic DT-770 and 880 work. Dekoni has a nice selection, as you mentioned.
https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-audio-beyerdynamic-dt-series-fenestrated-elite-sheepkin-ear-pad-set/

1 Like

I tried ZMF eikon pad and they are too big. I wanted to try the ori pads they are 104mm so probably will fit.

ZMF Simon? Probably typo or auto-correct?
As for Ori pads - I wonder how much bigger the opening is… 4mm bigger, does not sound like a whole lot…

Sorry yup autocorrect. I meant eikon.

1 Like

I would also say I have tried to roll in the DT770 pads and could not get them to fit either. There is no way to fit any of the pads over the lip, so they would have to be velcroed in like the brainwave pads. The DT770 pads don’t fit inside of the hole to be able to roll them.

Not sure which pads would fit these, but have been searching.

1 Like

I guess we can ask. @nectarsoundnet, what pads other than the Brainwaves have you verified that will fit? Have you done any tests with other pads? I’ve thought about some velour or perf hybrid or lamb skin perf pads. Although I’m ok with the stock ones.

1 Like