One Headphone Collection vs Two Headphone Collection vs Three Headphone Collection Selections

My Senn HD 580s fill this role, as I do take into account factors other than the music.

4 Likes

This is what IEMs are for.

4 Likes

That is what AirPods are for, or other IEMs folks use. Use case, cheese cake there are only so many ways to slice a piece.

1 Like

Exactly what I thought :joy:

Here are 3 very good entry-level combinations that I think sound outstanding for their price structure :muscle:

=

There is no in-ear on the market, in the respective price range, that can reproduce the airiness, the stage and the dynamics that headphones are able to reproduce in terms of sound.

Not to mention speakers :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Nice gear. However, unless they comprise your proposed 3 can collection, your post would be better suited in a different thread.

1 Like

Oh, these are my three absolute starter recommendations, with respective tonal improvement potential, which I use myself in daily operation.

Iā€™ve been working with audio equipment for a few years now and can therefore say that a headphone recommendation alone can usually be a very controversial story.

It is actually advisable to mention the respective components as a whole, since otherwise the inclined reader cannot understand why the reviewer could be of this opinion.

Letā€™s take the Grado as an example:
Over 90% here in the forum will dismiss the SR80e as an eardrum stabbing killer machine.
And you are mostly right, because on a THX amp, for example, it actually sounds cruel, whereas the little GoBlue gives it the necessary ā€œwarmthā€ that makes these headphones an audiophile pleasure product, just like a hybrid tube amplifier.

Since I am a fan of a certain degree of mobility when it comes to listening to music, the recently very high-quality mobile headphone amplifiers suit me very well.
For this reason, my 3 recommendations, which I of course also use myself, also in the higher-quality area, are rather light, comfortable and they sound very good in the respective combination.

1.)

2.)

3.)

From then on, it becomes difficult to justify weight, added sound value, sonic advantages, and in relation to this, THE PRICE

From this point on it is mostly passion, love of the hobby, esthetics and a little bit of pride to be the owner of an ā€œexpensiveā€ product.

4 Likes

1; Hifiman He 1000se
2; Sennheiser HD800, Audiotechnica 70x
3; Akg 702, Audiotechnica 50x , Phillips shp 9500

10 Likes

First, WELCOME. :slight_smile:

Second, thatā€™s an interesting take - you didnā€™t repeat any headphone in the 3 options. Iā€™d be curious to hear why you chose each one/combo

5 Likes

Appreciate the clarification.

I also believe in the emphasis on building systems rather than making discrete gear selections. However, I wanted to keep the discussion more manageable and focused with this thread. A discussion of complete systems can be another thread.

3 Likes

Thanks! :grinning:
This is how I more or less started out, in reversed order.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not certain of the why, but the size and total cost of each collection appear to be inversely related.

1 Like

headphone collections:

1. 1266 Phi TC
  2. Phi TC + Raal SRA1 w/sub
  3. Phi TC + SR1A w/sub + SR009

In reality I will probably end up with Phi TC (currently own) and either LCD4 or Utopia in '22. The current used prices on both LCD4 and Utopia are too good to ignore.

5 Likes

For me it would go like this

1. Rosson Audio Design RAD-0 - Huge fan of the sound and the customization experience is great. Weight / comfort does not bother me but I know itā€™s an issue for lots of people
  2. RAD-0 + Focal Utopia - The RAD-0 is a great headphone for relaxing and not paying attention. The Utopia on the other hand, commands your attention. The 6khz peak doesnā€™t bother me as much as the treble on the HD800/HD800S and the Utopia was one fo the first flagships I listened to so itā€™s got a special place.
  3. RAD-0, Utopia and Verite Closed - Iā€™ve only had the chance to listen to the Verite closed at shows along with a couple of times that people have brought gear to the meet / office. The VC would be my choice for a closed-back (it would have to be one of the stabilized options) as it aligns with my tonal preferences, is comfortable and has a level of customization. I havenā€™t heard the LIRIC yet (@Resolve says it would be up my alley) but the VC wins out over the Stellia for me simply because of customization option.
13 Likes

A bit late but very interesting thread. Note this is all driven from Studio B.

Current:

1. HD800 SDR - Still to date one of the most technically proficient headphone. Sure the bass can seem anemic at times and the tuning does requires a bit of a workaround but top notch resolution and imaging coupled with seemingly boundless soundstage makes it a great all rounder.

*Note if Iā€™m using a different amp the hd800 will likely be replaced with utopia.

1. HD800 SDR/Verite Open - Perfect complement to each other. Tonal opposite provides very different experience for the same song. VO for a more relaxing listening experience and hd800 for digging into the recording.

Aspirational:
3. Not required but potentially a separate setup for planars such as Susvara/LCD5

The Utopia wouldā€™ve been ideal as a one and done but decided against it mainly due to reliability. VO can certainly work as an only headphone but ultimately decided a neutral-ish signature will work better in the long run. A third headphone will just be something experimental since all bases are covered from just two headphones.

7 Likes

Those are my current favorites, for the same reason as you. Itā€™s good to hear the Studio B pairs well with them; Iā€™m looking to upgrade and have been thinking about a Starlett. Iā€™ll read up about the Studio B now - thanks!

Our tastes seem to align well: Iā€™m thinking about a happy future with a planar. Iā€™m not sure which one (I have the LCD2-Classic right now), but the RAD-0, LCD-X 2021, or LCD-4 (used) might be the oneā€¦

Yes, I share that concern, especially if it comes to buying a used pair; Iā€™m also put off by the narrow staging.

2 Likes

I own both these amps and find them to be some of the best out there and well worth their asking price and wait times. Tonally very different sounding amps and works well with both the vo and hd800. Iā€™m mainly using the studio b for the past 3-4 months with the occasional starlett slot in for some listening sessions.

1 Like

Same here, though it is a tough call for LCD-5 vs Utopia for the one-and-done slot. I tend to listen to the LCD-5 a lot, but its newness probably has something to do with it. Iā€™ve had the Utopia for 3 years and listened with it essentially daily.

Aspirational: probably the same as owned, but I am curious about the 1266 and SR-1A.

9 Likes

It really is a close call between the Utopia and LCD-5 - it may very well be the newest-in-line factor.

I canā€™t get my brain around wearing those SR-1As, though! Looks like a couple of paperback books (though Iā€™m sure Iā€™d love it the minute I put them on)!

One and done headphone: Raal Requisite SR1a
Two headphone collection: Raal Requisite SR1a; Focal Utopia
Three headphone collection: Raal Requisite SR1a; Focal Utopia; ZMF Verite Closed

9 Likes

What a fun exercise! Thanks @bpcarb !

One and done: Focal Utopia
Two: Focal Utopia; Audeze LCD-5
Three: Focal Utopia; Audeze LCD-5; Focal Stellia

The Utopia is my choice for one-and-done, as it just does everything really well. I wonā€™t argue that itā€™s the best in any particular sound category, but I love that I can listen to any music on any source, and they do a fantastic job. This is why it remains my real-life one-and-done (unless you count travel headphones).

I havenā€™t actually heard the LCD-5, but triangulating from reviews and comparisons, I think Iā€™d really enjoy this headphone. Great appeal to having a stellar planar to compliment the Utopia. Yes the LCD-5 is a bit pickier on amps, but at least it doesnā€™t need a monster to drive it (like Susvara or Abyss 1266). I also have a soft spot in my heart for Audeze, as the LCD-4 is the first truly great headphone I ever heard and made me think ā€œholy shit, I have to find a way to get something like this into my lifeā€. Then I heard the Utopiaā€¦ :slight_smile:

Focal Stellia because itā€™s similar to Utopia, will play nice with the chain Iā€™ve built out already, and gives me the benefits of closed back if there is background noise at home or for whenever Iā€™m back in the office in 2058.

Happy new year everyone!

14 Likes