Recommendations for some closed back cans

Hey everyone, I’ve used IEM’s for a few years but lately, I’ve been dusting off my Shure SRH440’s and thoroughly enjoying them, but I would like to make a change. I’m not really looking for a sound upgrade, more just a comfort upgrade. I love the sound of the shure’s but the pleather on the ear cups and the way the band sits on my head is pretty uncomfortable after an hour or so. I’ve been looking at the Beyerdynamic DT770’s 32 ohm can’s for a bit but I’ve never tried a pair and only know of they’re quality and comfort from some online reviews, but I have zero commitment to them. My budget is roughly $200 and any sound improvement that can be made from the shures would be appreciate but isn’t needed, I just don’t want a downgrade in sound, of course. Mostly I just want a comfort improvement.

TLDR; I want some comfortable closed back over ear headphones for $200 or less that sound equally as good or better than the Shure SRH440’s.

1 Like

A common recommendation for that price range is the Audio Technica M40x w/ upgraded pads. You could probably find those on the used market for a lot less than $200.

3 Likes

I have the m40x with angled pads and I find them very comfortable. I spent quite a while using these for mixing and producing at home and got to know them pretty well. I still enjoy them when I get them out.

Having said that, I have the Beyerdynamic Custom Studio (not the Custom Pro) at work and the sound quality is better (in my opinion). They have more detail and the mechanical bass slider actually works.

Try checking out this thread, there is some good information and opinions: Closed back headphones

2 Likes

I’ll throw my hat in the ring saying I’m pretty averse towards the M40X. I’ve only heard it with stock pads but it’s only better than the M50X by a very very small margin. Anecdotally, you should consider that pads will change the sound and likely not for the better. I would recommend the AKG K550/553 over them personally.

3 Likes

I have recently purchased the Beyerdynamic Aventho Closed headphones. They are going for around $200. I can recommend those. Not overly bright like most Beyerdynamic headphones. A nice even response. Good solid bass , neutral midrange and open smooth highs. Also Light weight.

2 Likes

Audio Quest night Owls are by far the most comfortable I’ve ever put on my head. They are 399 but I’ve seen them used for 200.

1 Like