Sennheiser HD 560s Open-Back Headphones - Official Thread

I always find the hype behind these “entry level” cans amusing. There have to be compromises at that level (even TOTL have compromises) so swooning over something even as a a value option is something that sends up a flag for me.

I don’t think it helps those looking for entry level headphones either to make something appear greater than it is. Community reactions to these has been very muted at best. When I read the comments on some of these audio channels I am always take a aback when people seemingly use one reviewer to make a purchase decision for them.

Maybe I’m now an audiophile snob but that’s the community I’ve chosen to become a part of. I still like to think I could enjoy gear from all price brackets though. Don’t think this will be one of those products.

Nice review @dncnexus! Even better consider the UI you were using.

2 Likes

Entry-level gear drives affiliate sales. Sounds harsh to say but you’re a lot more likely to sell hundreds of HD 560s through affiliate sales than you are a pair of $2k cans. Entry-level gear also tends to have a much larger reach than the more niche high-end gear so it will reach a larger audience.

Outside of reviewers though, oftentimes whatever FOTM legend killer that gets released is the first pair of “good” headphones that someone with no frame of reference buys. So to them, the headphones are the best thing in the world.

I often tune out when FOTM reviews get praise like “competes with headphones in the $1k range” . Often times the person hasn’t actually heard anything in that range and without any context it’s still useless. Does the KZ 64 driver IEM compete with the Shure SE846 in the $1k price range or the Campfire Audio Andromeda? The Thieauio Monarch is up there in that price range so does it compete with that?

It’s why most opinions on the internet that you read aren’t very useful unless you have a frame of reference behind them.

I personally found the HD 560s to be in an appropriate spot. You get pretty good sound, guaranteed warranty and good customer service (depending on who you buy from). I still stand by my original impressions as its a toss up between these and the 6XX depending on what you’re looking for.

11 Likes

Agree. No issue with these cans existing and there is a market for them. I bought something similar when I first started up in this hobby but was disappointed in them as they were hyped up by whatever websites I trafficked back then. It was two years before I tried this whole audiophile thing again. The funny thing is I did quite a bit of internet research before buying them and still didn’t get what I thought they were reviewing. Hype is pervasive.

As you say context is key.

3 Likes

As someone who bought Beats In-ears 9 years ago, I have fallen victim to hype buying as well.

The FOTM applies to high-end gear as well. It’s just not as accessible so generally you see less of it. But it’s just generally something that’s applicable across all hobbies and walks of life. New products can never live up to the hype they generate.

However, I realized that my bit about affiliates was a little disingenuous as it doesn’t’ take new toy syndrome into account. Because of the way Youtube as well as written pieces work for SEO, there’s a direct benefit to getting out content as quick as possible for new products, especially ones with a lot of anticipation. Reviewers are also human so it’s easy for them to get caught up in the hype train as well. A lot of time content creators will circle back on headphones later on with a bit more of a sober take on it.

On the 560s front though, initial orders have started shipping and there should be another wave mid-December. So there should be a lot more impressions / reviews out there that fall outside of the hype.

4 Likes

Oh sure, you say this and it sounds (reads) just fine. I say it and I’ve got torches and pitchforks in my DMs. LOL

Very muchly right tho. Couldn’t agree more.

5 Likes

Sometime we just need to launch a crusade…

1 Like

LOL, well, have fun storming the castle. I just upgraded the catapults. Haha

4 Likes

Tunnels… maybe trebuchets.

3 Likes

Full review published on Medium

The author:

I’m an audio engineer, music producer, musician, cat dad, and occasional gamer.

r/headphones - Sennheiser HD 560S Review — New Benchmark in Headphone Neutrality

Source

Spotify → Motu M2 (DAC)→ Schiit Heresy (AMP)→ Sennheiser 560S (HEADPHONES)

Reference Tracks

These are tracks I use to test speakers, headphones, and rooms.

SENNHESIER HD 560S

Build, Design, and Comfort

Grade: B+

The 560S feels cheap but looks sleek and ergonomic. The entirely plastic construction doesn’t scream luxury and that’s fine by me because they aren’t expensive headphones. It seems like Sennheiser set out to produce the cheapest possible headphones with the flattest possible frequency response in order to edge out the competition.

The clamp force is a little tighter than that of any other headphones I’ve used. I’ve read that the clamp force reduces over time. I remember my Sennheiser HD6XX felt tight when I first got them and now they are extremely comfortable.

The sound changes drastically depending on where my ears are relative to the drivers. They seem to sound their ~best~ when my ears are centered. If my ears are sitting towards the front of the ear cups, the sound is much brighter. Conversely, if my ears are sitting towards the back, the sound is much darker and less focused. I don’t know that this is a design flaw necessarily, but it does make me wonder if ear shape/size will influence one’s perception of the 560S’ frequency response.

Eyeglasses seem to have a small but noticeable effect on sub bass reproduction. With glasses on, the sub frequencies sound slightly less full. I avoid this issue by resting my eyeglass temples on top of headphone ear-pads like a complete maniac.

Measurements above are conducted by Crinacle and can be found via their amazing and generous free headphone comparison tool .

Frequency Response / Sound

Grade: A

These are being marketed as “reference” headphones and I think that that’s a fairly accurate label (for once). The frequency response sounds very “correct”… and unforgiving. For music production this is fantastic. If you’re an audio producer, these are going to be your friend because they will do your tracks no favors. There is no extra warmth (mid bass hump) or sparkly highs (elevated 10kHz region). Everything about the frequency response sounds, to me, flat, apart from a slight elevation around 4kHz. For everyone else from casual music listeners to ~seasoned audiophiles~… this might be cause for concern.

A lot of songs don’t sound very good. This isn’t a big problem if you’re listening to music on Apple Airpods or Dr. Dre Beatz because those headphones are tuned in such a way that potentially irritating frequency ranges are more subdued. Consequentially, they sound a little wonky and lack a lot of detail. But that’s probably a calculated decision in order to deliver the most universally inoffensive experience possible to consumers. I love my Airpods. It’s very easy to recommend Airpods because of the forgiving sound and unmatched convenience. With the 560S, Sennhesier is taking the opposite approach. It’s delivering a level of detail that we aren’t used to in headphones. If something is off about the mix, you’re going to hear it and if you’re like me, it’s going to drive you nuts. Here are a couple examples from my Reference Playlist that sound a little grating at times played through the 560S:

• “Ordinary Pleasure” by Toro y Moi
    -vocal Sibilance around 4 kHz
  • “Shooter” by Lil Wayne, Robin Thicke
    -3:19 vocal adblid presence
  • “Frida” by Holy Holy
    4:18 synth treble around 3.5 kHz

Aside from highlighting potential harshnesses, I find the ‘reference’ tuning to be less relaxing overall — especially for longer listening sessions. The tuning of the Sennhesier HD 650 / HD 6XX sounds, to me, less fatiguing probably due to the elevated mid bass and relatively subdued 6 to 8 kHz region even though the 6XX’s bass clearly doesn’t go as deep.

Compared to the more expensive Hifiman Sundara, the 560S sounds like it lacks detail (slightly) across the frequency spectrum except in the sub bass region where the Sundara doesn’t seem to dig as deep. Listening to “Light A Cigarette” by Husky, the Sundara seems to hold on to small details in busy swelling sections (like the one at 3:30) a little tighter than the 560S can.

pictured: Sennheiser HD 560S, Crumbs

Soundstage / Imaging

The soundstage and imaging are both great. Both are more accurate and satisfying to me than the soundstage and imaging on the most obvious competition — Sennheiser’s own HD 650/HD 6XX. Compared to the Hifiman Sundara, I think it’s much closer with the Sundara exhibiting an arguably more exciting and enveloping sense of space.

Listening to “Jesus, She’s A Good Girl” by Andy Shauf, it’s easy to hear where the hard panned (very wide) acoustic guitars end and the more centered acoustic piano begins.

Listening to “Eat Your Heart Out” by Hungry Kids of Hungary, the separation between the lead vocal and the pool of stereo lead vocal reverb is articulate and satisfying.

Listening to “I Give Up” by Caroline Polachek, the lead vocal is stunningly intimate, maintaining a strong center image throughout as various vocal harmonies, vocal doubles, and synthesizers appear and dissapear on either side.

Value / Conclusion

The 560s at their current price is an incredible value. To get comparable sound out of speakers, you’d have to spend far more than $200 on room treatment alone. Speakers that cost exponentially more than $200 will not sound as accurate as these headphones. Personally, I’d take these over the currently more expensive Sennheiser HD 650 / HD 6XX because of the more elaborate soundstage and more articulate frequency response. The HD 650 has an undoubtedly more subdued/laid-back sound so it’s easy to imagine someone preferring those for casual listening. Between the 560S and the Hifiman Sundara, it’s more complicated. The 560S may be a better tool for audio producers because they do less favors to the source material. The 560S will make you work harder to create a more engaging musical experience than the Sundara because the Sundara seems to impart a little magic by default to whatever content they’re reproducing. To anyone like me on the fool’s errand of searching for a taste of ‘objectivity’ in audio, I highly recommend considering the HD 560S.

Thanks for reading.

-J

Full review published on Medium

17 Likes

Great review @reallyoldcob. I like your use of test tracks to highlight any issues or give praise. It always makes it a little easier for me to picture things.

2 Likes

I just picked up my 560S today, very impressive. I’ve never heard headphones quite like these, great separation and clarity, I’m picking up details in some of my music that I’ve never heard before.

I wonder which high end cans sound most similar to these, HD 800 maybe?

3 Likes

My second day with the 560S hasn’t been quite as positive, for me there may be a high potential for fatigue with these. Also, their sound signature doesn’t seem to suit some music. Maybe I just need more time to get used to them though.

On the plus side, they are very light and comfortable. I’ve noticed some people complaining about the build quality, but they seem pretty solid to me.

3 Likes

My son bought me a pair of Sennheiser HD560s for my coming 50th birthday.
My opinion on these headphones is highly conditioned by the fact that my 13 years old son did everything he could in order to gift them to me.

I’ve listened to my favourite music with them in the last weeks and these are my initial impressions.

Despite being made on the budget side and entirely of plastic they don’t feel particularly cheap nor give me the sensation they’re about to break in a while.
Out of the box the clamping force is good to me but this may vary according to how much you have to extend the headband to fit your head. The more extension the more clamping they become.
Having a medium head I don’t have to extend the head band too much so the clamp force is not a issue to me.
Ear and head pads are softer than the ones on my HD660s and are definitely comfortable when wearing the headphone.
Even if I prefer the 600 series design the design of 500 series isn’t bad. Doesn’t feel as durable as the 600 series but aesthetically is pleasant.
I hate Sennheiser’s 3 meters cables. It’s my problem, not a Sennheiser’s one. I can’t stand having a cable running on the floor. It’s not a issue as for 10/20 euros you can get a shorter and better cable.

Regarding sound after some listening I can say that even if these headphones aren’t the best resolving in Sennheiser’s line the tuning helps a little by fooling the perceptions you have and make you feel like they resolve much more than they actually do: that little extra treble that makes your brain perceive resolution higher than it really is.
Bass is present but doesn’t have the quality of 600 series. By this I mean that despite the bass is good and vivid to my ears it doesn’t have the necessary control to bring it out the best from it.
Mids are good and treble isn’t pricing or disturbing to my ears.

Soundstage is wider than on 600 series.
It isn’t the soundstage of an Hifiman Arya or of a Sennheiser HD800s but is well defined laterally and all around the head. I really like it.

The response you get from these headphones highly depend on your source and on the quality of the recordings you listen to.
Listening to well recorded and mastered music is a pleasure as the headphones seem to bring out all the best from the music.
If there’s a flaw in the recording or in the mastering process you’re gonna hear it and it will be present with no exception.

So what about in conclusion?
For the actual street price of 160 euros in Europe they are great sounding headphones and a good complement if you have a 600 series headphone in your arsenal.
You get the extra sound stage that you don’t have from 600 series and a less intimate sound that can be preferable with certain recordings.
Good starting point for beginners? Meh. They depend too much on the source and recording quality and can be frustrating if your music and sources aren’t good.
They can be a great tool for mixing and recording.

I use them in office feeded with a Windows Desktop PC plus Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt or with an A&K SR25.
No problem driving them properly from both sources and no great problem with long listening sessions.
Occasionally they can be quite hot on the ears but nothing that a pause of few minutes can’t stop them being a problem.

I have the impression that sound quality highly depends on very precise orientations of the drivers on your ears. Worth spending few minutes finding the spot that better suits you since once you find it the sound quality is highly improved.

The HD560s have been hyped a lot when they came out and my impressions confirm my general “don’t believe the hype” approach.
They are good headphones that you can buy to a great price and with a proper setup can be very enjoyable.
From that to be “giant killers” it passes a lot anyway.

I like them a lot and coming from my beloved son they are even more precious to me.
Enjoy

15 Likes

Excellent writeup @monochromios. You have a great son, have a wonderful birthday.

3 Likes

@prfallon69 very kind of you, thank you.

2 Likes

I have two kids and always try to show them how important music is! I will feel really proud if I get a birthday gift like this in some years! Congratulations man

3 Likes

24 posts were merged into an existing topic: The Objective, Subjective & Dejected Thread

I’ve started my journey on HD560S still learning and still trying to find the best combination for a pleasant listening experience. Normally I use an iPhone with HighRes activated hooked into a FiiO Q3.

5 Likes

First of all, in my experience headphones, like wine or food, headphones are really difficult to assess, because the matter is really subjective (it is not that scientific that some people say, there are lots of variables and “ambients” to meassure). Straight to the point, we’ve bought 5 pairs of these for the studio. Our conclusion, for the price, 150 € in Europe, and FOR AN HONEST LINEAR MIXING (just for mixing in a non-bombastic style of music), there is NOTHING near in the market. Believe me, we have lots of headphones tested by us and lots of musicians. These open headphones for the price have a great soundstage, the presentation of sound is more than correct, again, for being a cheap headphones. About the cable, if you plan to work at home just change it, it is too long and not the best. Constructoin, solid, but cheap for my eyes. Finally, Would you buy them just to listen to music for the price? Depends, in my case, I wouldn’t buy them because I enjoy best a V shape sound when I am relaxing at home. Summing up, they are the best for some needs … but they could be just good or avarage for others, so consider what you need them for.

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree more!

I bought them for critical listening on my journey into best qualities in streaming, and ended up defaulting to 560S for a fully immersive enjoyment of old vinyl & new.

If you have a very good ear, you’ll really enjoy these. Very flat response with perfect extension in both directions. Really pulls air from solid recordings.

Very well done review @reallyoldcob!

4 Likes