Sennheiser HD 650 over-ear open-back Headphones - Official Thread

If you can get a Cardas Clear for $149 I’d grab it. Over the years I’ve owned just about all the high-end cables ($500++) and think Clear is the best of the lot. If you’re interested in the science of what makes them so good, it’s explained on the Cardas website…by George Cardas himself.

1 Like

I appreciate the information. Although I’m pretty sure every CEO/owner will have a strong argument for why their wire works best.
One thing about Cardas that is different than most though, is that he stands behind his cables for life. That’s the company and the cable’s life, not just the original buyer’s (last time I checked anyway).

I don’t think it’s stupid at all. If the cables enhance your experience then I would take no notice of anyone who gives you negativity. I haven’t bought many aftermarket cables myself but I did buy a balanced one for my andromeda’s. I shall probably get one for some of my overear cans too. I can notice a difference however slight with better cables. Even if it is just placebo for me. I can’t give anyone scientific proof of change. But who cares it’s my money and I don’t need anyone’s affirmation. I should get round to making a cable myself. But I haven’t soldered before though I would be willing to give it a do. It makes much more sense to make my own.

Keep enjoying your present setup and happy listening. :grinning:.

-Paul-

1 Like

Hi Paul. You’re right–it’s my money, plus I love listening to music through headphones. I see and enjoy your posts, so it’s clear you love music too…Lee

1 Like

Thanks. I do enjoy my music and anything that enhances my listening I will give a go. Within reason of course. I draw the line with magic crystals and what have you. :grin:

3 Likes

I’ve had my HD650s for about a little over a year now. Have not used them very much as I listen mostly at night with my closed backed Shure 1540s so I don’t disturb my wife. Plus they need a lot more power then my Macbook/DFCobalt can cleanly supply. I need to hook them up to my Benchmark DAC3 to get the best out of them. Still I find them too warm and dark for me. The deep bass is missing. The mids are smooth and warm and pleasant. This is their strongest area. The upper mids and treble are too recessed and the higher treble a little grainy especially on massed strings.

I usually do audio comparisons with short one or two minute sections of large orchestral works so I can remember what each sounds like. Using the Benchmark DAC3/Macbook as a source I compared the HD650 to the 1540. Both offer a smooth laid back presentation. However when I switch from the 650 to 1540 it’s like someone turned a sonic light on in the concert hall. The soundstage expands; Instrument separation and detail emerge. The whole audio picture in my head becomes alive. Like listening to good quality speakers and not headphones. I’ve done this comparison a few times now and the result is the same. for me the Shure 1540 is just superior in all respects. It’s even much more comfortable as well… So I decided to sell my HD650s and just listed them on Amazon. I know there are many advocates of this model but for me they just don’t match my preferences.

3 Likes

Lol :joy:

2 Likes

The HD 650 is my standard reference headphone that I use to reset my ears against everything else I review any ANY price point. Is there anything else left to say? lol

10 Likes

That’s what makes the HD650 great, and why I also think they are as close as we can get to a hobby-wide benchmark / point of reference that all other reviewers should compare products to.

When a reviewer states that a headphone has great mids… Great compared to what? The TH900? Utopia? Porta Pros? Compare it to the hd650, and let me know how it is better in that regard, because I have a 14 year old pair of HD650s that I still use to this day, and I’ll immediately know what you mean. So will millions of other listeners. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

A big reason why I use it. It’s so familiar to many people and now more affordable than ever before thanks to Drop. Personally though I like to boost the sub bass and cut 3.5k and 5k by about 2 dB just to give everyone a better idea of my preference, hah.

5 Likes

This is interesting for me because I’m in the minority of headphone listeners that has never heard a pair of Sennheiser headphones. . . :exploding_head:

I went from Porta Pros, to AKGQ701’s, then ‘jumped’ to Audeze LCD-X’s. I didn’t want to do incremental upgrades, and my next headphones will probably be ‘lateral’ purchases to the X’s.

I agree with having a general baseline, and the HD650’s seem to be the one. I just don’t know if it’s something I want to purchase. I know I want to/should hear them, I’m just not convinced I should buy a pair.

2 Likes

This made me chuckle. :blush:

I’ve never eq’d headphones (mainly because I don’t know how to!), and there’s a part of me that feels like I’m cheating, but the reality is that I’m more than likely cheating myself out of a better listening experience! :laughing:

2 Likes

You know I spent a few years when I started out thinking “oh there’s definitely something out there that’s perfect”. I quickly abandoned this lol. While I’m still on my break I can absolutely send out my 650 to you if you want to hear it and are in the US. It is an absolute must-hear for anybody in this hobby.

6 Likes

If it’s not a financial inconvenience, pick up a preowned pair for $130-$160 from head-fi. They come up often enough.

Or better yet, do we have a pair of HD650’s on the loaner program here? We should, imo.

They EQ very well. I agree with needing a subbass boost, but go the other way and leave 5k alone and boost 9k and up by a tiny bit. Helps kill the veil a smidge.

6 Likes

That’s kind of you to offer, thank you.

I may take you up on that.

2 Likes

Which one on Drop is the 650?

1 Like

Also, I’ll say this as well… the HD650 does get better with better amps. You want to know how two similar amps compare? Plug the HD650 in.

My Auteur sound similar on the 3F and ZDS, but the HD650 sounds better on the ZDS. No clue why.

3 Likes

HD6XX

4 Likes

That’s way nicer than the silver color. :thinking:

Edit:

91.3k sold. :flushed:
These do seem to be ubiquitous in the headphone world.

3 Likes

This forum is turning my audio world upside down!

First it’s the Schiit Bifrost 2 that apparently I’ve got to get, now it’s these HD6XX’s.

8 Likes