Sub-$900 Headphone Recommendations

I’m not so sure about getting a CTH if you already have a Mojo dude. I own both the Mojo and CTH + SDAC if you have any questions.

You can buy the E Mu Teaks directly from the manufacturer, as I did:

enquiry@emu.com
contact - Chan

They should honor the Drop price, or be very close to it. If you do this, don’t be surprised if it takes awhile to get a reply from Chan. He’s kind of a one man show…

Some reviews for reference:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/e-mu-teak-headphones.21741/reviews

My first E-mu Teak was without the detachable cable. My second was with it. I highly suggest the detachable cable. Fantastic headphone.

It does fall into the semi-closed category - isolation isn’t the best either in or out, so if the point of going closed back here is isolation, you may be a little disappointed.

6 Likes

I have a semi-closed mind, so the Teak was ideal for me.

And yes, only get the pair w/detachable cable. The other way lies madness…

3 Likes

I can’t be certain, but I sure like my Aeon Flow Closed. They are probably pretty close to the RTs. At $500 direct from Dan Clark Audio, that’s a good deal.

3 Likes

I’m currently in Beijing, China, but that may change any time.

1 Like

Have you made your decision? Let us know.

1 Like

I think I’ll try to get an Atticus B-stock if any are available. If not, I will most likely get the Ether CX or the Focal Elegia as it’s on sale for 690 at some stores.

3 Likes

@Minjun_Kim what headphones are you wanting to pair the MCTH with? I have that amp and enjoy it for the money especially if you pick it up on sale.

1 Like

I was planning to pair them with whatever I bought this time, be it the Atticus, the Ether CX or the Elegia.

1 Like

I’ve found the MCTH to be a pretty versatile amp - at least with dynamic driver headphones of varying sensitivity and impedance levels (e.g. HD 6XX, TH-X00 Ebony, and Clear). The MCTH didn’t pair well with my LCD-2C, though; it sounded mushy and soft. I can’t say this experience applies to planar headphones generally or just the LCD-2C but you may like to check impressions before committing to the Ether CX and the MCTH.

3 Likes

I haven’t heard that amp paired with any of those headphones however it sounds good with the 6XX, Ananda, Aeolus and Aeon2C however the Aeon 2C still sound a bit better and more engaging from the solid-state THX amp or the LYR 3. I suspect this to be directly related to the amount of current those headphones need.

6 Likes

I have the Elegia and am not too fond of it either, I bought it to complete the Focal section of my collection. But to be fair anyone who has both the Elegia and the Stellia would likely feel the same way, you can’t help but compare the two.

That being said there are a lot more people who like the Elegia than the other way around, it may have to do with what drives them. Apparently listening to them through the Arche DAC from Micromega is just to die for. That’s quite possible since the Arche was tailor-made for the Focal-Naim Group to replace the Naim DAC V1 which had been made for the Utopia and the Elear. The Arche has presets for these and all the newer Focals (Elegia, Clear and Stellia) and is designed to accommodate plugins as newer Focal models are designed (AFAIK none is being developed ATM) which supposedly makes that DAC future-proof. At $2,500 that’s not asking for too much. I am not familiar with it but will likely consider it when I replace my aging V1, which is definitely not future-proof.

As for the Elear I agree that out of the box it doesn’t sound that good unless you have the V1, end even then… But it it has the potential to sound great with proper DSP, which will make it sound much like the Clear. Maybe the Elegia is a good candidate for similar treatment? That would push the bill somewhat beyond budget though not by much. Regardless, there’s enough people here that vouch for the Elegia au naturel for it to be considered seriously by the OP. Unlike you I find the Focals the be among the most comfortable high-end phones. Wish I could say the same for Audeze… :zipper_mouth_face:

4 Likes

I loved Elegia out of the box, but Oratory1990’s recommended parametric EQ settings takes it to a whole other level:

5 Likes

I am going to try it tonight.
Thanks!

Do you mind sharing the parameters?

Thanks!

2 Likes

What is the name of this EQ software?

1 Like

That’s the parametric EQ interface in Roon.

2 Likes

Here’s the link to ALL of Oratory1990’s EQ presets:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets

and here’s the link to the Elegia settings:

Not quoting them here because I want to give credit where credit’s due - to Oratory1990 :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Oratory1990 was quite spot on for the EQ’ing the Elear as well, presumably using EQ APO in standalone mode [not system-wide], as long as it’s not driven through its preset on the V1 which flatten its curve to a neutral level comparable to what Sonarworks Refeference 4 does for it (for a lot less but it can sound a little dry if overdriven with SW system-wide on). Other settings I’ve seen for both the Elegia and the Elear from the likes of Inner Fidelity and RTings seem to be a little off. SBAF amused themselves by measuring the Elear with Utopia pads but when I tried that it sounded pretty wonky and thinnish, those pads aren’t suited to heavy drivers. Now what I’m going to do soon is test drive the Elegia with the Stellia pads. The only reason I haven’t indulged yet is because my Stellias are fairly new and I dare not snap off the pads just yet. I managed to break off a fastener on the Elear and fixed it with flex glue but I don’t want to go through that on a $3k set of phones. Damn fasteners are tenacious, you have to pull with some force to get them out, What I expect from the experiment is a tighter seal on the Elegia leading to more fundamental bottom end. Despite their lighter beryllium drivers the Stellias dig really deep, almost t Elear level but much with better control over the whole spectrum. Personally the Stellia have become the equal of the Clear or DSP’d Elear in terms of conveying musical emotion me, would be nice to embrace the Elegia as well. I will definitly try the Oratory1990 correction, thanks a million for the info.

3 Likes

Roon? Have to rethink my strategy then. I haven’t experiemented with Roon’s EQ’s yet, are they relatively user-friendly?

1 Like