The Ultra Cheap IEM Thread

KBEar Lark, a ChiFi Midranger for 30 Dollars

A dealmaker or dealbreaker, depending on the use and user.

I recently got into IEM’s. I learned about the multidriver design and I understood the point, saw some recommendations from people, searched something on amazon, and grabbed it. I am actually on my second pair as the first one died, unfortunately. But, I was glad to get another pair as there can be any number of issues in manufacturing, and I recognize that.

Its sound is whatever, V shape blah blah, I don’t care about that. I work in different areas and I need separation. When I looked at my old larks, before I bought something else, I recognized that the construction was very specific. I looked up the BA and DD they used, and while I don’t understand how they tune these, I can understand that the audio is set up to split the work up enough that when I play, say, a game, that the BA driver is going to do most of the work for foot steps. But when I listen to podcasts, the DD does most of the work. I thought this was neat, and having used them for a while, I like some of the qualities they have. But thertes one issue that I have.

I don’t know if you all would call it Tambre, I call it shimmer. The BA just has an extra sparkle at the top end where hi hats and SSSSSSSS sounds live. It must resonate with the casing of the driver, or the driver isn’t seated all the way in, something. Its not even just… sharp, its a needle. Its almost painful.

As these are 18 ohm IEM’s, I got a 24 core cable to raise it a little bit. I think this is working some, but I think I just need different tips or a filter.

But the other thing is, comparing models, the BA is just slightly closer to the end of the pipe, and I am pretty sure you can’t change the pipe. I tried some flumed tips and they actually moved the pipe closer to my ear drum, and didn’t cover over some of the output like the KB tips. It def made the shimmer worse.

Anyways, I use these for gaming, listening to music when my Pioneer HDJ-X7’s aren’t appropriate, or for mixing music. Kleptophonics demands clarity, and I use a multitude of sets while mixing and finalizing, but I use IEM’s most of the time. These are my only IEM’s atm, but I am interested in a multi BA part and a planar pair for at some point.

Extra Notes:

Why did you get another cable? What was wrong with the stock one?

My shimmer issue was accented. Now it isn’t AS much. Simple