The Ultra Cheap IEM Thread

Apparently not sold in the USA.

Not branded Aydion, instead itā€™s Earth-Budz. $14.99 not bad from Amazon.

Mark Gosidn

2 Likes

So ā€¦ last night I was looking at the Earth-Budz on Amazon and thought, ā€œWhat the heck, Iā€™ve got $20 to spare.ā€ They will be here this afternoon, the local Amazon warehouse had them in stock.

I will post my impressions once Iā€™ve had a bit of time with them.

Mark Gosdin

4 Likes

Impressions of the Earth-Budz, $14.99 on Amazon US.

Packaging - They use the ā€œSemiā€ Environmental cardboard boxing that you see fairly often. A rough tan paperboard box with a clear film window & punch-out hoop to mount on a display peg. Inside are the ear buds and small + large tips in a white plastic tray. Basic for the price.

Build - The wood casing on the budz is nice. The cable is fabric covered with blue died hemp ( according to the sales liturature ) with metal clad plasitic fittings for the 3.5mm plug, microphone and cable split. The cable is mildly micro-phonic.

Fit - The included tips donā€™t allow me to get a good seal. Iā€™ve settled on the smalls for now as they will seal with lots of fiddling. Their idea of small is closer to the mediums I have from my other buds & IEMs. Keep in mind that I donā€™t have the seal I want and will be experimenting with tips for these as I have time.

Sound - Listening was done with my LG K51 & NuForce uDac 5. Tracks used were from Star Wars : Empire Strikes Back soundtrack, Boston : Donā€™t Look Back & Enya : Shepard Moons all streamed from my ripped redbook flac library.

Bass is almost non-existant. I think this is mostly due to the flakey seal as I can substantially correct the issue by applying light pressure on the buds.

Mids are present and well defined.

Treble is abundant and can be overwhelming at times. This is from someone who LIKES treble, so take that with a caution.

Summary - The Earth-Budz are decent for the price. I have better sounding ear buds, the Moondrop Quarks for example, that didnā€™t cost much more. Toss them in the travel bag and hit the road.

Mark Gosdin

2 Likes

Unlike you, I obtained a perfect fit and seal with the pre-fitted tips and therefore got a good bass response. There is a decent sub bass rumble there. Mids are very well presented and the treble is well balanced with the rest of the range, of course you will have had a different experience if you did not get a good fit. I think these are amazing. There is a possibility that the Earth Budz model may be different from the Aydino version I have, the packaging is different.

1 Like

Further to my last post, I found the Aydino/Earth Budz need a lot of power to perform well. After using additional amplification from my Topping NX1a the sound was transformed. My Sony NWZ-A15 on its own did not have enough power but the Xduoo X20 worked well, albeit at a higher volume setting than I would normally use. It seems extra power is mandatory with these.

1 Like

AH! Neither of the two, my K51 or my uDAC 5, are all that powerful in the Amp section. I have a couple of other Headphone Amps that I can use that have much more juice to work with.

Mark Gosdin

1 Like

OK. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts when you have more power and a good seal!

1 Like

I continue to be amazed by the Aydino/Earth Budz. If you have them, check this track out, fantastic detail, timbre and soundstage:

Update : I moved the Earth-Budz to my FX-Audio DAC X6 Pro, more power, and could tell that they are now getting the Bass out more than what was present earlier.

Still I wasnā€™t getting the seal, so ā€¦ I dug into the various extra tips that I have from the half dozen IEM purchases Iā€™ve made. It ended up that the only ones that would fit on the somewhat large nozzle of the Earth-Budz were the extras from the Moondrop Quarks which also have a large nozzle.

With the Quark tips I finally got a good seal ( Pop! ) and playing thru the DAC X6 Pro the sound is much improved. Bass is now available in quantity matching the Mids. Treble was tamed some by the Quark tips, but can still jump up and tingle you. Iā€™d love to see what a formal response curve would look like on these.

In any case I can recommend the Earth-Budz as a value buy with the note that you WILL want to tip roll until you get a good match. Not bad for $14.99, not bad at all.

Mark Gosdin

2 Likes

Thatā€™s good to hear. They are even better value from Amazon UK at Ā£3.99 ($3.00)!

I keep checking the Amazon UK link you posted but it always says currently unavailable. Not sure if itā€™s because I am outside UK or if they are out of stock.

They donā€™t seem to exist on Amazon Spain.

Hello Senyor C
I just checked the link and they are apparently still in stock. Here is the link again:

Just ordered a pair of these. Seems a really silly price. Due for delivery on Wednesday so weā€™ll see.

2 Likes

Thanks, yeah, still shows ā€œcurrently out of stock, we donā€™t know if these will become available againā€ for me. Must be because I am outside UK.

1 Like

Great! I look forward to hearing your findings. Donā€™t forget to give them lots of juice. They really soak it up!

1 Like

Not long arrived. The most bland packaging yet, but Iā€™m not too fussed about that. I had to change the tips, the ones already on were dreadful and even changing to the larger size they were very uncomfortable and no bass at all. Put some RHA foam ones on that fit and still struggle to get them in my ears with any comfort and then after fiddling around they seem to settle.

Once the foam tips were on these make a nice sound. still a bit bass light for me but the bass is there and well defined, the treble is fine but at the moment these all seem about the mid-band which is quite warm and relaxed and quite pleasant. Iā€™ve only had them on for some youTube favourites going through a Topping DX3 Pro for now but later tonight when itā€™s a bit quieter Iā€™ll try them on the Mojo and RME.

Not totally convinced about the build quality but sonically, early impressions, are these are good, relaxing and a little safe sounding but then there isnā€™t really much you can buy for Ā£3.99 delivered here in the UK so it seems it maybe difficult to be heavily critical. I look forward to giving them a more intensive listen later.

5 Likes

Good, I am pleased you like them. Do try a bit of tip rolling to get a good seal, the bass does improve a lot.

4 Likes

Hereā€™s an interesting one:
Senfer DT6 MAX

1 Like

No idea what is sounds like but at least it looks better than the original!

2 Likes