Topping D90 DAC - Official Thread

Thanks. Maybe the estimated delivery time listed on the website is more on the extreme side.

@MRHifiReviews. You’ll probably receive it in time to try out your new tube for LYR3 :pray: :joy:

3 Likes

Let us know how you like the D90, especially compared to the Bifrost 2.

I recently received my Bifrost 2 and absolutely love the way it sounds, especially with my Mjolnir 2.

9 Likes

I am looking forward to reading your comparison.

4 Likes

I’m looking forward to your comparison as well. No pressure! :wink:

4 Likes

But make it good!!:joy:

6 Likes

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: Munich High End 2020 - Cancelled - Great Coronavirus Discussion

In the interest of keeping the D90 thread on topic I’ve made the Munich High End 2020 show a hybrid discussion about Coronavirus and moved the corresponding Coronavirus threads over there.

10 Likes

Thank you, Taron. :+1:t4:

2 Likes

Thanks dude I didn’t think it was going to spiral that deep my bad.

5 Likes

You’re a new dad. Worry spirals are part of your job!!

3 Likes

@MRHifiReviews You had asked how the D90 Stacks on the SPL Phonitor x

For giggles

8 Likes

Super mega stack!!!

2 Likes

It’s like Voltron. :astonished::nerd_face:

2 Likes

Interesting review

4 Likes

A thoughtful and well written review. And extremely positive about the D90. He compares to DACS several times it’s price.

A couple things I’d like to add. Be recommends keeping it at max volume if using as a DAC only. The D90 has two modes, a Pre-Amp mode with volume control and a DAC mode without. DAC mode bypasses the internal volume controls and some say has a theoretical advantage. I doubt it’s audible though.

Also, he says that it’s the same size as the Benchmark HPA. It’s actually slightly wider , as you can see in the picture. My OCD could not handle having the wider component on top like that.

5 Likes

This portion of the review from the very end asked by on of his subscribers is what I was hoping for and now I am getting excited to get the D90 connected to my THX amp.

”As far as the D90: does it have that “analogue” like ease signature that some AKM 4490 dacs (namely SMSL M9, which despite its shockingly low price somehow manages to produce the most analogue sound of any “sanely” priced dacs on the market that I ve heard) have, not the type softness, or the artificial, caramel like “velvety” sound that lot of folks mistake for the analogue signature, but that ease and even-ness, that comes from a great turntable, or high quality analogue tape recording? Please note that I come strictly from two channel speaker based listener’s point of view, as headphones based system is a different ball game of sorts… Thanks

Reply:

[Sandu V.]

Yes, it has that easy going nature, even more pronounced than any AK4490 designs. Add a much better speed, impact and slam and you will get a D90 as a result :wink:

6 Likes

So who is using this DAC with Qobuz? I am still getting an audible drop when the internal clock is changing quality of the song during my playlist, which was one of the reasons I wanted to swap out my other DaC? If you do have this DAC and you are using it with just Qobuz not any other software such as Audirvana or Roon please tell me what your Qobuz settings are to not get this audible drop? @angstorms you said you use with Qobuz without issue what’s the secret? @Torq I think you said you tested it without issue as well any tips on what I could be doing wrong?

Watch the front of the DAC, to see if happen on 16 bit and 24 bit 44.1 kHz source, you have the maximum listen quality set to Hi-res 24 bit / up to 96kHz.

I only see this on some 16bit/ 44.1 kHz songs ( Ben Iver Holocene jumps to 96kHz) 24 bit 44.1 kHz. songs that upconverted to 88.2 kHz or 96 kHz, they start 44.1 kHz, you can see the switch on front panel of the DAC.

If the source is 24 bit 96 kHz like Talking Heads “Burning Down the House” or New Order “Dream Never End” it does not jump in first few seconds

What it looks like is the Qobuz app issue.

1 Like

I had no issues, even testing with the native client - with a playlist that switches bit-rate/depth on every track, on macOS 10.15.3. That’s just something I did as a test though as I don’t use the native clients for actual listening.

2 Likes

Dropping when it goes from 96 to 88.2 just now, and 88.2 back to 96, and also from 96 to 44.1, and 44.1 to 192, it’s happening every time. It’s such a pity this DAC sounds incredible compared to the SU8… :confused: so now I am in the same situation it appears that the only way to eliminate it is through audirvana…