As an avid tube roller and owner of a Bottlehead Crack Speedball, I wanted to start a dedicated thread for tube rolling. So please share with us, what tubes you have rolled and enjoyed.
I own and have rolled the following.
- Tung Sol 6080 (came as stock)
- Tung Sol 6080WB (solid graphite plates w/ copper grid post)
- Chatham 6AS7G
- Bendix 6080WB (slotted plate w/ copper grid post)
- Bendix 6080WB ( solid plate w/ steel grid post)
- Tung Sol 5998
- RCA 6AS7G (black plate)
- Brimar 6067
- Brimar ECC82 ( long grey plate square getter 56’)
- Brimar CV4034
- Brimar CV4003
- Brimar 13D5
- Mullard ECC82 (long plate square getter 57’ K61 Blackburn)
- Amperex ECC82 (long plate foil d getter 56’)
- Amperex 7316 (long plate foil d getter 58’)
- Sylvania Gold Brand 5814A (triple mica square getter & short grey plate)
- Sylvania JHS 5814A (triple mica square getter & grey short plate)
- CBS/Hytron 5814A (black plate square getter)
I just bought this one below and should have it soon, but for those that dont know, this is supposed to be one of the best and most rare. We shall see, and I will report back after I get it, and have burned it in properly.
- Valvo ECC82 (long grey plate, square getter, Hamburg 56’) on the way. . .
For now, my favorite combo is the Bendix 6080WB slotted plate with the Sylvania GB 5814A triple mica, short grey plate, with square getter. This combo is in the pic below, and sounds amazing with my ZMF Aeolus. Overall the sound is punchy, with killer bass, and great separation and air in the mids and highs. The soundstage is wide and has really good height and depth front to back.