Unique Melody MEST - Hybrid IEM - Official Thread

I’m curious now, dang it @antdroid !

3 Likes

Bad news @antdroid: they’re back in stock. I’m holding off for a bit, since I got impatient and have some new headphone toys incoming already …

PS. You’re welcome

1 Like

Yea I know! I looked. They have a new model too, the Mest Mini. It’s more budget friendly.

We need @TylersEclectic and @Torq to be guinea pigs again. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Any idea if they’re any good? I’d love to save $650 …

2 Likes

Tempting but, I am happy with the big boy MEST :wink: though I may grab a pair of these if reviewed well by people I align with sound signature wise :wink:

2 Likes

I dont know. I asked if anyone has tried it from the Singapore community and on headfi and no responses yet. Not many in SG have even tried the original MEST.

It doesnt have a dynamic driver though, which is probably what I liked most of the MEST.

4 Likes

Just flagging @pennstac, as he’s been looking for a mid-priced quality step-up from $200 class IEMs. MSRP $599 may be cheaper on the street.

2 Likes

The driver configuration isn’t as good though, so we’ll have to wait for people to try them out. The fact that it’s a 3 BA + 1 bone conductor and no DD at all is a bit sad.

1 Like

Thanks for tagging me on this. However there doesn’t seem to be a “street” that it’s on yet. When I type “Unique Melody Mini Mest” on eBay, I get one result -

I kid you not. I always liked Chilton’s guides and have one somewhere for my '64 Oldsmobile.

2 Likes

Don’t know how high are you planning to go from $200, but in the last week I’ve been following the thread on Head Fi about the ORB by Penon Audio and is very interesting. It is $260 or $270, not sure now.

Thanks so much for the graphs. I scourged the internet for it trying to understand why this sounds so good. :slight_smile: And Antman - what an amazing review! You are my favorite IEM reviewer of this time!

1 Like

This may be the IEM I was looking for. Seems ridiculous value for the sonic performance. Compares very favourably to the U12t which I think would have been my goto but its a bit outside what I am willing to spend

Q’s:

1. Has anyone come across any QC issues - I havent seen anything suggesting much, other than the comment re dust within the casing earlier in this topic. I know it’s a rather new product so the numbers might not be enough yet to really tell.
  2. How’s the cable - is it flexible, is there memory wire, microphonics, that kind of thing.

Thanks

1 Like

I would say that it depends what you’re looking for. The UM MEST is more of a “fun” IEM, meaning that it’s more present in the bass and treble regions. For someone like myself, who prefers a smoother treble, it seems like it might be too much and quite fatiguing. The fact that you don’t have the Apex technology is also a deal breaker, at least for me (you get more listening fatigue due to pressure buildup in your ears). It certainly is a better value than the U12t, that’s for sure. I’m sure @TylersEclectic could answer your questions though!

3 Likes

Any IEM I try is gonna be a bit of a gamble for me as I dont have anything anywhere near high end.

I was thinking either this or the Solaris or even the ARA (depending upon how it reviews). I know some people dont like the MEST signature but a surprising amount say its better than the CA stuff.

I listen to classical a lot so the positive comments I hear re soundstage, detail retrieval, layering are
tweaking my interest level. To be honest I dont much know what to make of the treble at this point from the reviews I have heard. Will have to look at the FRs that I can find and see how it stacks against things I have already heard.

Hard to resist at the price point though.

2 Likes

I think the MEST is pretty great… @antdroid reviewed it also, and enjoyed it…I think it performs pretty well and the treble has yet to be “irritating” to me and I tend to prefer smoother headphones…if that helps. Really like the new Sedna TPE tips as well…I think they are my new favorites…

3 Likes

Searched for them on Amazon and couldn’t find the ones in your pic🤷🏾‍♂️

Do you mind sharing the link please? I want to check them out. Thanks

1 Like

Here you go! Make sure to select the size that best fits with your preference…these run a bit big:

AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC 2 Pairs (Size L) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRB1KJS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_kp.cFb8SXR19B

3 Likes

Thank you good Sir! Order placed and also trying to get over the 20 character requirement…

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply. The general consensus I’m getting from my research is that the treble approaches the limits at times but doesn’t go beyond it. I think @Torq’s initial review re the treble presentation is consistent with what I’ve read.

The termination I want ain’t in stock right now. Too bad as they are on sale. Could buy the 4.4 with an adapter but not feeling it right now.

And may I just end by saying thats a f**king gorgeous cable.

3 Likes

These are pricey @$20 for two pairs but boy… they’re comfortable, provide a great seal and most importantly don’t “slide out” of my ears after 30 mins or so. The IEMs stay put until I take them off. Thanks for the suggestion.

EDIT: they seem to be a bit of “dust magnets”, went for a quick walk listening to the Tia Fourté, had to take them off for a 2 mins phone call and when I was putting them back on, I noticed some fair amount of dust on the tips - it’s not that bad but easily noticeable and unusual when compared to the spinfit or the stock silicone tips.

5 Likes