What are your biggest desires for audio in 2021!?

An entirely new can with TOTL performance and TOTL aesthetics. I’ve always wanted to try Abyss 1266, Raal, or ZMF but don’t like their look or the headband design. I need another can to add to my Stellia and LCD-4 arsenal.

2 Likes

Maybe replace my loudspeakers. Much as I still like and enjoy the Rec III’s they are getting old. Bought used in 1978, modified same time. Depends on 2W’s, wallet and wife. I’d like something planar, Maggie 3.7i, Martin Logan CLX (which would need a sub), or maybe something Wilson Audio. And get the oriental rug down in the room, and finally either get the 1920’s living room suite out of storage (it was re-upholstered) or get a new suite. So the room isn’t too live. Oh yes, glass fireplace screen and andirons since the chimney was redone last hear. Maybe it’s not all audio, but the listening room needs more soft stuff in it, and I want to be comfy.

1 Like

If you want to go realy out there you could go Final D8000P, Kennerton Odin, ADX5000 (only know one person with them but he puts the detail level near Diana V2), or any number of the lesser talked about sumitfi cans

1 Like

I have been eyeing the Kennertons. I like their design more than the AudioTechnicas or the Final.

1 Like

I’m thinking that as well, might even go to horns ( Volti Razz) and tubes as a pair of Quicksilver monos in the closet. Nothing like a change, but off course the little lady will have to be convinced, maybe some little sparkly things LOL. The last time I got speakers it cost me a ES350. A tough negotiator she is.

1 Like

Well in my case, she claims she married me for my stereo, and as it has proved difficult to improve me, she has helped improve the stereo at several junctures. The difficulty is that she likes the Rec III’s and may put some stuff on them - they are convenient. She does not care for how big flat speakers look in a room. At one point she liked B&W 802’s and more recently really liked the sound and appearance of Wilson Audion Sabrinas. However, I think our space needs a bit more, preferably the Sasha DAW, but no less than a good used Sophia 3. Big room.

The Maggie 3.1s are clearly the best for the $.

And I already owe her some sparkly things.

2 Likes

I desire to get my hands on some Buchardt A500s! Those things are pretty cool and a lot of $$$!

1 Like

Oh I had a dealer friend of mine bring over some Maggie 3.7 just to blow her mind. She said what the hell are you planning to do with those in my living room. I said, to make wonderful music. :pleading_face: Her statement, is just too much for a public forum. Honey its a joke, she said, bad joke. But they did sound good but rather imposing 5 feet out into the room, looking like something from the 2001 Space Odyssey.

3 Likes

I suppose that my desire for Martin Logan CLX and a modest Descent Sub for them wouldn’t fly well either. Except that CLX is much airier looking, and perhaps not a imposing due to the wood and transparency. And they are all second hand now… The Neolith is a bit expensive, and has it’s own woofer included.

3 Likes

Do the Martin Logans have the same kind of positioning requirements as the Maggies?

Not as extreme. The curvilinear surface of the membrane gives them more placement flexibility. This is true even of smaller MLs

1 Like

For me 2021 hopefully will be a year of consolidation and refinement. I’ve been on a mild acquisition kick the last year or so, but I’ve reached the point that I have a few items that dominate my listening time, to the detriment of all the others. So time to sell the seldom used stuff, sit back, and enjoy what’s left. And maybe complete my ZMF lineup! I have 4 of the 6 dynamics, why not catch em all!

3 Likes