What is your dream headphone setup?

Money is no object.

My go-to everyday setup would be the Audeze MX4 with a SPL Phonitor X and SPL Director combo. It sounds absolutely incredible and the MX4 personally wins out over the LCD4 in my opinion just based on the fact that its a full 200 grams lighter. I really liked the LCD4s but I was worried if I wore them for more than a week my neck muscles would be broader than my shoulders. The MX4 has the perfect mix of deep low-end and enough detail and clarity to put a smile on my face.

The Orpheus is another pretty obvious answer here but the Orpheus is just too damn resolving. I wouldn’t be able to listen to any of the music I like because it would just sound like garbage haha.

1 Like

My dream setup is ANY setup that comes together for all sorts of music that sounds great (to me) without having to research for hours and trying on 5 different sets of headphones and switching amps to get that WOW sound. Can’t wait to hear what people are sharing for theirs.

1 Like

My current dream set up is arguably still modest. I would love to have a Woo WA6-SE. Then maybe some HD800s. Not sure.

1 Like

I really don’t know… But I really love my current top system, consisting of a Stax 009 and a self-built valve amp (based on AC/P4 tubes and Tango transformers) that gives me an incredible musicality …

Do you think you will enjoy the newest HD820? It has a different closed design.

umh… difficult to choose one, even if money no object… I would love to have many dream setups :slight_smile:
anyway, should I choose one, most probably would be the top MSB for electrostats + STAX 009S

Stax headphones (or earspeakers) are definitely an experience!

As much as I would love to have a pair in my home my wife has a couple of cats and their hair gets into everything. The Stax drivers wouldn’t stand a chance against those fur balls.

1 Like

:slight_smile: very true… and I would add that also little babies are likely dangerous, even if for different reasons though :joy::joy:

1 Like

I also really want to try out Stax. Unfortunately missed this year’s NYC Canjam but hopefully I’ll have another opportunity in the future.

1 Like

The Sennheiser HD1 is my new goal. From what I read, it’s a great all-rounder.

1 Like

you also need to factor in a sound source that can provide sound you can truly appreciate with top of the line headphones. I had a dual DAC cd player and with good headphones and music you could hear the difference between a single DAC and a dual DAC unit. Another factor when listening at home on your stereo…your power supply. AC power isn’t as “clean” as everyone things; you might be surprised at the impact of adding a line conditioner Furman AC215A

I also like the LCD4 but like you “I was worried if I wore them for more than a week my neck muscles would be broader than my shoulders.” Hahaha what a witty line. I’m thinking of what to say about it and there i read your line. Sorry
for “owning” it… Cheers.

1 Like

Definitely recommend giving Stax a listen as their headphones are an experience that you won’t forget!

1 Like

Yeah, everyone talks about how fast/musical/transparent they sound so it just hypes me up even more. I’ve thought about buying some of the entry level Stax systems to try (and resell if I dislike), but ideally I’d like to try it at some convention or meetup.

You could do what I do and keep a sheet over your Hi-Fi when it’s not in use (I use a table-cloth). I’ve got a cat and I do it to protect my Hi-Fi stuff from cat hairs and dust.

1 Like

Gotta be the Mr. Speakers Voce on a real nice amp. I don’t know my electrostat amps but I’m sure it would sound great on just about anything

What if my current setup is my dream setup?

1 Like

When I first got into this hobby I came across an AKG electrostatic (can’t recall the model, but HeadRoom carried it at the time) and I found the technology intriguing. Completely dropped off my radar the following years. Now I think a Stax upgrade to their entry level line is most likely my next purchase.

@asymcon That’d put you in the same camp I’m in … at the moment. Who knows how long that state of affairs will last, but for now I don’t see “anywhere to go”, with one exception, short of something entirely different.

Anyway, while I posted it here, it’s probably easier to recount it directly:

I use Roon as my primary source. That feeds a network connected streamer that I designed and built myself (and one day I might get around to a commercial venture around it), tentatively called the “Music Conduit”. That talks to a Chord DAVE using either USB or AES/EBU XLR connections. DAVE feeds a Woo Audio WA234 Mk2 via a pair of AudioQuest Wind XLRs. And then that runs using a self-built (and somewhat unusual) headphone cable to one of several headphones depending on my mood/material.

Tubes in the Woo are, currently:

• Western Electric WE 300B (NOS) (power tubes)
  • Takatsuki 274B (rectifiers)
  • RCA 13EM7 (signal/drivers)

I do need to expand my choices of 2A3 and 45 series tubes at some point.

And the headphones I have in rotation are:

What might change from here to keep it my “dream” system?

I plan to add a Chord M-Scaler as soon as they release a standalone unit. The Blu Mk2 unit makes a worthwhile difference when paired with DAVE, but I don’t really want the CD-transport part of it (I’ll never use it … I’m a “rip/store/play” off the server type … and it’s just unnecessary expense and something else to fail).

Additional headphones might come into play … likely candidates are the Sennheiser HD820, a Fostex 900 Mk2 variant (when they stop releasing new colors), and probably a HiFi-Man flagship (if they quit with the “CCC” pricing and/or improve the physical build).

Beyond that I’m tempted to add an electrostatic capability. That’d probably be either a Headamp Blue Hawaii SE or a Woo 3ES (would have to hear that first, though). And then probably the updated SR-009S.

4 Likes

Either the ZMF Auteur + WA22 (or whatever good pairing I can find)

Or

Stax SR-009 + Blue Hawaii SE

2 Likes