What is your current headphone setup?

I’m using a Nuprime DAC10H with Focal Elear. Before this, I had a tuned Beresford Caiman with a pair of Sennheiser HD580, which I passed on to my son. Get 'em hooked while they’re young, no? :grin:

Me too have cycled quite a bit in the past, now my almost stable setup is
Player: Asus netbook (highly optimized and fully dedicated) + Foobar
DAC: Auralic Vega - MSB Analog
Amps: Auralic Taurus MKII - custom Halgorythme 300B and 2A3
Cans: Focal Utopia - HiFiman HE1000v2 / HE6 / HE500 - Denon AH-D7200

in the past I have had: Hifiman HEKv1 , STAX 507 , Sony Z1R , and few others

1 Like

-Bel Canto DAC 2.7: My 2¢ is this does not have the ‘oomph’ to drive things like my HD 580 or HE560 without a separate amp and I suspect it was designed that way. This DAC is always at 90% with these cans.

-Schiit Jotunheim with the Multibit DAC module: I like it. Perhaps not the most resolving amp in the house but it keeps me happy. (Thanks dear!)

-Parasound ZDAC: My second try at DAC/headphone amp solutions. It was okay and still in my ‘work’ audio chain. Nothing special, not much oomph for the hungry hippos but clean, neutral and analytical enough for video editing with ON2s or my various work headsets.

-Audioengine D2 (wireless DAC): Weirdly unsatisfying. Good for ambient audio but too many clicks in my radio rich environment. Only works at 6 feet from source to amp for me. It was my first swing at a DAC headphone solution, added to my analog Headroom amp. I do not generally recommend unless there is a particular factor you need to work around. (Jitter or wires)

-Headroom Home Max (original 2 position switch): Homey needs new caps. This kept me happy for 20-years until the caps started humming and I couldn’t find a cost effective way to clean up the sound.

-Sennheiser HD 580: ‘Sounds good, less thrilling.’ These cans bugged me for years… until Sennheiser rebuilt them to (how they should have been built originally). New contract springs made a world of difference but, still, they never quite let me forget I’m listening to headphones.

-Etymotic ER4s: While the Sennies drove me nuts with poor cable connection springs (at first Sennheiser didn’t own-up to the issue), I lived with Etymotic IEMs. They were my reference but, while I can appreciate the great sound/price ratio, in-ear monitors are a bother.

-HiFiMan HE560: These seem a bit wrong in their high frequency reproduction on some recordings but I was really enjoying them until I played solo classical guitar. I suspect I have a defective transducer because I get an intermittent buzz on some guitar chords: It sounds like a guitar string lightly hitting a fret. I’ll update the replacement cleans this issue up.

On the road I love my Dragonfly and Thinksound ON2 combo. As good as everything else sounds, this combo is the closest to a “wow” in my inventory because it is simply a fun sound for a few bucks. ($240 total)

Regards.

I have a number of them currently, and lots more that I have replaced. Currently my favorites are my Etymotic ER4S, Grado 225, Beyerdyanamic Custom One Pro and Audio Technica AD-ATH700. I have found that each of them sounds better than the others on certain music.

I also use headphone amps 90% of the time at home or while travelling

Yikes!
I have several, I kind of dedicate certain rigs to what music I am listening to.

Right now, I’m running a BeyerD T1 Tesla,(2) from a Woo Audio WA2.
I tend to run my Senn HD600 out of a JDS Labs The Element.

I could go on here for DAYS…

You’ve got some great over-ears in that collection. Do you have a favorite?

My over the ears set I got was a pleasant surprise back in early 2016, the Sentey ThorX headphones.

So Far…Schiit Valhalla 1, Woo Audio WA6 (just started tube rolling) LCD2, AKG 701, Sony 7506, Beyerdynamic DT 1990 iFi iDSD Micro, Resonessence Concero HD and an Emotiva A-100 on the way.

I’ve got two main headphone systems that I listen to.

At home:
DNA Stratus (latest edition)
Ayre C-5xeMP universal disc player
Sennheiser HD 800

At work:
DNA Sonett 2 or HeadAmp GS-1 w/ Dynalo+ modules
Ayre QB-9 DSD
Audeze LCD-XC (2016 drivers)

For travel I use a HeadAmp Pico DAC/Amp with a pair of Etymotic ER4SR’s.

If I’m bored, sometimes I swap out the Sonett 2 for the GS-1 and vice versa. It keeps me from having to buy more stuff.

I would not say I have a favourite… it depends on the situation…
I tipically use HEKv2 or Denon with the Vega+2A3 for my daily listening (mostly nightly listening actually…)
during the w.e., when I have some more free time, I mostly use Utopia with Analog+300B when I want to have a more “hifi” experience
but overall, I would say all different combos have pros and cons, and all are very enjoyable to my ears… one thing though I would like to highlight: the price/perf ratio of the Denon is IMHO (and again: IMHO, and of course only IMHO) incredibly high… when paired with a totl amp these cans can really give great sound :heart_eyes:

I’d describe my headphone gear as good, but nothing too special:

Amp: Chord Mojo
Headphones: Campfire Audio Jupiter, Focal Elear, Sennheiser HD600.

HD800 and HD650 get the most use.
Amp: 2359glenn OTL
DAC: Holo Spring L3

At work, a HeadRoom Micro DAC / Amp into Shure SE535s. I also have a pair of Audioengine A5s hooked to the amp.

For travel, the Shures and a HeadRoom Mini Portable.

1 Like

There are two pairs of headphones I use, whether it’s for on set stuff or just chilling; a pair of purple Studio Beats and a simple pair of Marshall headphones I got as a gift at CES. Neither particularly impress me but both have been consistently more comfortable than most.

1 Like

When you find yourself being admitted to a hospital and your buds are at home but you have your playlist on your smartphone and a nurse asks “If there’s anything I can get you, let me know” and she pauses knowing that I did want something and I answered “earbuds?” and she says I’ll be right back and returns with a packaged earbuds. At that moment I realized what the phrase “Any glass is a wine glass” meant. The earbuds were like those given at airports for passengers when the wait time was too long. But the music coming out of those teeny buds calmed me down immediately. No name brand buds had never sounded so good. My wife eventually brought my earphones but I continued to use the ones from the nurse until I was discharged.

3 Likes

Currently, I’ve been using the modded m1060 and AKG q701s through the modi multibit and magni 3 for my desktop usage. I just use a pair of Sen 4.50 BTNC for my unfortunate jack-less phone.

I’ve cycled through many setups but I’m quite content now with the following:

Headphones: HE-500, AD2000
DAC: GeekOut V2+
Amp: Jotunheim

I just need to make a balanced cable for the dac to amp feed and I’m all set :slight_smile:

1 Like

DAC: LH Labs Geek Out V2: see Geek Out V2

Desk: Audeze EL-8 CLosed Back.

Travel: Sony MDR-1000X Noise-Cancelling.

How are you liking the closed-back EL-8?

I’ve only had the chance to try out the open back and I quite liked it but I am looking for another portable set-up and was thinking on hopping on the EL-8 closed. I know they are discontinued but they can be found for pretty cheap online now.

I started out with a pair of HD650s and a Schitt Jotunheim. Now my 650s do studio duty with my Focusrite preamp and Logic X. Next I bought a pair of HD800S which I paired with my Schitt and now live on my nightstand. They still amaze me. But my “piece de resistance” is now a pair of Focal Utopias powered by a Chord Hugo 2. Everything runs from a Mac Pro server running JRiver Media Center 24 with Andriod Tablets running Neutron at the endpoints. The HD800S cans are custom calibrated by Sonarworks however I’m still not sure I like that. But I’ll save that topic for another forum.