What’s your EDC?

I don’t have an EDC. I have an older iPhone and I have 1More Triple drivers that I keep in the car, but that’s work and talk, not music.

I think, however, I’m getting a Weekend Carry. Or at least a Weekend Go Box. This evolves. Recently I spent $18 on a Geekria headphone case so I could put the Grado RS-1e’s in the trunk or a bag. And I’ve just had my first listen to the DFC (Dragonfly Cobalt). It pairs very well with the Grados, and is not only smaller than the DFB, but it has some of the Jitterbug circuitry in it. Using the Apple Camera Adapter 2 (I have both the 2 and 3, which allows charging or extra power), it makes a very neat and compact combination.

So tonight, I’ve been just skipping around TIDAL, listening to mostly stuff I know. I did some A-B comparisons of the direct output of the iPhone 6+ into the Grado’s and compared to the Cobalt. In every case, even with 44.1/16 bit or HiFi instead of Master quality, the difference was very audible. Direct output was grainy, mids not as clear, highs a bit sandpapery (cymbal, snare). The Cobalt very very slightly tames the Grado high-end (Which is not so prominent on the RS-1e (Reference series) as it is on most Grados.

Listened to some R&B Tidal playlist, then Herbie Hancock’s “Rockit”, Doors live at Hollywood Bowl (not a stretch of bass or highs, but a workout of mids), Django Reinhart’s Memorial, Some Prince, some Santana, some Little Feat. A smattering of Kantner/Slick’s “Sunfighter” and Starship’s “Blows Against the Empire.” Some studio, some live. Enough to know I like this combination.

The Grados are lightweight, and I like the leather headband and mahogany body. The standard L-Pad cushions work well with these phones, they have really decent bass and a great soundstage. Some people don’t like on-ear, but these fit me well and are comfortable.

When I am at a standard location - bedroom, computer, then I may go for more weighty gear. The Lyr3 and Sennheiser HD-6xx, or the HiFiman, or my always delightful older STAX. But none of those combinations is a “carry”. I use the iFi xDSD in line out to drive either the Lyr3 or the STAX tube amp. Yes, it goes with me on any extended trip too.

But I think the closest thing I have to EDC is going to be this combo.

8 Likes