What’s your EDC?

Focusing just on music …

I still use my LG V20 a lot, but I like having a dedicated device that allows me to focus on the music without the distraction of incoming calls and whatnot, plus I wanted something compact for jogging, so I recently picked up a Shanling M0. Nice little device, impressively powerful for the size (has no trouble with my HD58X in high gain mode) and it even lets me choose digital filters! UI is a bit fiddly but still miles ahead of the Fiio X1 that I used to own.

Apparently I’m a bit of a KZ fanboy. I tried the Moondrop KXXS and really didn’t like it. I’ve enjoyed the KZ ZS7 for a while but the comfort isn’t perfect, so I recently side-graded to the ZS10 Pro. The comfort doesn’t disappoint and the sound is a bit better balanced out of the box than the ZS7, but I still EQ a bit. The M0 doesn’t have parametric EQ, but I just apply my filters when converting from FLAC to MP3 and I’m good to go. If I need to add some flavor on the go, the built-in graphic EQ works okay.

Tips are medium Spinfit CP100. I used to use large, but the longer nozzles on the ZS10 Pro let me go a bit deeper and end up being more comfortable for me.

EDIT - The bluetooth receiver mode is handy too. It’s nice for when I’m at my computer but don’t want to be tethered to my desk. And I can still get my EQ fix by routing audio through PulseEffects before sending it on to bluetooth.

9 Likes

I don’t have an EDC. I have an older iPhone and I have 1More Triple drivers that I keep in the car, but that’s work and talk, not music.

I think, however, I’m getting a Weekend Carry. Or at least a Weekend Go Box. This evolves. Recently I spent $18 on a Geekria headphone case so I could put the Grado RS-1e’s in the trunk or a bag. And I’ve just had my first listen to the DFC (Dragonfly Cobalt). It pairs very well with the Grados, and is not only smaller than the DFB, but it has some of the Jitterbug circuitry in it. Using the Apple Camera Adapter 2 (I have both the 2 and 3, which allows charging or extra power), it makes a very neat and compact combination.

So tonight, I’ve been just skipping around TIDAL, listening to mostly stuff I know. I did some A-B comparisons of the direct output of the iPhone 6+ into the Grado’s and compared to the Cobalt. In every case, even with 44.1/16 bit or HiFi instead of Master quality, the difference was very audible. Direct output was grainy, mids not as clear, highs a bit sandpapery (cymbal, snare). The Cobalt very very slightly tames the Grado high-end (Which is not so prominent on the RS-1e (Reference series) as it is on most Grados.

Listened to some R&B Tidal playlist, then Herbie Hancock’s “Rockit”, Doors live at Hollywood Bowl (not a stretch of bass or highs, but a workout of mids), Django Reinhart’s Memorial, Some Prince, some Santana, some Little Feat. A smattering of Kantner/Slick’s “Sunfighter” and Starship’s “Blows Against the Empire.” Some studio, some live. Enough to know I like this combination.

The Grados are lightweight, and I like the leather headband and mahogany body. The standard L-Pad cushions work well with these phones, they have really decent bass and a great soundstage. Some people don’t like on-ear, but these fit me well and are comfortable.

When I am at a standard location - bedroom, computer, then I may go for more weighty gear. The Lyr3 and Sennheiser HD-6xx, or the HiFiman, or my always delightful older STAX. But none of those combinations is a “carry”. I use the iFi xDSD in line out to drive either the Lyr3 or the STAX tube amp. Yes, it goes with me on any extended trip too.

But I think the closest thing I have to EDC is going to be this combo.

8 Likes

Currently my EDC for audio is my KZ ZS10 Pro with Sony EP-EX11 hybrid tips, an Apple USB-C to headphone jack adapter (Apple A2049) and my ThinkPad T420 whenever I go to the library or going around town. I really need to get a new DAP lol.

4 Likes

Still using my PX-100 II with the iPhone Photo adapter (with iPhone MX) and a DragonFly Black with the iPhone or my 2018 MacBook Pro.

2 Likes

At home, Grado PS2000e, DragonFly Cobalt or Chord Mojo, iPad Pro 11-inch. On the go, Beyer Lagoon wired, same amps, iPhone XsMax. All music in WAV format. And whatever else fits into cargo pants and outdoor vest.

2 Likes

My current Work EDC

8 Likes

cargos are my best friend :wink:
Edit: Fjällräven Barents Pro are my choice for a short solution nearly every day- have 5 of them

The pocket on the right leg is phenomenal for mobile phones, DAPs or GPS units- the inner part has a stretching inlay- you can stand on your head and nothing falls out, even if the outer closing flappy thing is open
All stays close to the body and doesn’t dangle around while walking
But be aware that this long trouser version comes always in about a 2meter length and you have to get them shortend- I also let them made less wide under the knee
This is the EDC Thread- so apologies if that was way off topic- but maybe some sort helpful?

P.S.:
The Fjällräven Singi Trekking Jacket for spring/autumn
Love it with Jeans- with the Barents Pro it would be to much- is what my wife says

4 Likes

Custom purple cord?

1 Like

Periapt cable =)

Fiio Q1 MK II paired with RBH EP3’s or Koss KPH 30I. Audio played from Android Stylo with 400 GB card

2 Likes

In the gym and street running: Shure SE215 (wired or with the RMCE-BT2 module).

Content is 100% voice (news, YT reviews, podcasts, etc).

Olight? How do you like it?

Glock is the way to go!

Agency Arms Glock 19
Jason Guthrie knife
Final E 3000
Music from my LG V50 ThinQ which has great DAC and amp
Surefire Peacemaker

7 Likes

Olight’s are practical and well made.
Not my first choice, because of the design
The magnetic power charger system is a nice solution

FiiO FH7 and Dragonfly Cobalt.

2 Likes

The EDC inclusions of a gun and knives is still confronting for me I guess. No-one in Australia does it, it’s not a thing. Police carry guns, no one else. And not many carry knives, be mostly carried by trouble makers, at least in the cities.

1 Like

Well the EDC package has officially grown, It includes Plantronics BT IEM, knife, hand gun, back-up gun, wallet, flashlight. We now have to add hand sanitizer, protective face mask, rubber gloves and back up face covering… Ugh I need. a murse at this point.

3 Likes

I’m not criticising, merely curious given our cultural differences. What’s the gun for? And why the need for a backup one? Is it just what people do where you live?

1 Like

His name is Gunboy. He has good taste in hardware.

2 Likes