Which DAC would you get and why?

As one who is out looking for a new DAC, this is a great discussion; it doesn’t help me because am still in the dark re what to get, but perhaps more enlightend now.

I have looked at several from the list and some other than those:

1. SMSL SU-8
  2. Airist R2R
  3. Schiit Bifrost 2
  4. Denafrips Ares II
  5. Schiit Gungir Multibit
  6. RME ADI 2 Dac
    And:
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus (can get it at $210…)
    SMSL SU-9 (maybe out in May)

I want to pair it with a Rupert Neve RNHP amp, but as $ is an issue, I don’t want to decide too quickly.
Currently I have the Monolith by Monoprice THX dac/amp and I like it, but it is too neutral. I actually prefer my Xduoo Xd05 Plus over the Monolith.

So reading the posts in hope to find the right DAC.

4 Likes

I have two of the DACS on your list @Gordon_Freeman SMSL-SU8V2 10th Anniversary Version as well as the Bifrost 2. Both sound different, one is more sterile and analytical SU8-V2 the other is smoother sounding Bifrost, more enjoyable. I think that distinction is important on what you are going for as well as if you have any upper frequency hearing loss, as sometimes brighter components help to hear more detail from what I have read. For me I preferred the more relaxed sound of the Bifrost2.

4 Likes

Thanks! I got sterile already in the Monolith, so the Bifrost could be interesting. But the price is also more than double up.
The Cambridge is tempting as a temp solution, but I hate temp solutions… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

I’m in similar circumstances. I want to upgrade a dac that I use in one of my audio chains. I decided on the Bifrost 2, but $700 is a bit to part with on something I don’t technically need. I’ve been tempted to go with a cheaper alternative but in the end, why waste the money that could’ve gone towards what I really want?

I also have an RNHP and I love it.

6 Likes

I may soon have to decide which DAC to get for LYR 3. I think I have a good picture in my head of what to expect from Bifrost 2, after quite a bit of information I’m getting from the owners here. Before i pull the trigger though, i need to do quite a bit of burn in and testing of the amp and tube for the next few weeks. I should be getting the amp today and couple tubes next month (Psvane mk II and Sylvania Bad Boy). If this amp and tube combo can give me the warmth I’m looking for, then I probably have to look elsewhere for a different synergy. I’m looking for a good mix of warmth and detail, not an overbearing of one or the other.

3 Likes

A few thoughts, at a very high-level:

SMSL SU-8

Competent but only interesting as a cheap-DAC that has decent measurements and XLR outputs. Has issues/audible glitches when switching rates/formats under Windows. Can be harsh, not a great pairing with the RNHP, which doesn’t need more treble energy or any lack of smoothness.

Airist R2R

If you’re looking for a “sweeter” sounding unit, with a more NOS-like sound (it’s not NOS, technically, it does 2x upsampling prior to conversion), it’s a pleasant listen. Was much more interesting in 2018.

Schiit Bifrost 2

Best bang-for-the-buck on the list as well as the most musically involving delivery. Often described as a mini-Yggdrasil A2, and I think it justifies that description.

Denafrips Ares II

Only reason to buy this is over the Bifrost 2 is if you want on-board DSD conversion. Even then I wouldn’t. Lack of ability to demo/return is a major issue here. No idea if the issues I found with the original version have been addressed.

Schiit Gungir Multibit

Not worth it over the Bifrost 2 unless you buy used AND run balanced from the DAC. “A2” version has a signature similar to that of the original Yggdrasil.

There’s one for sale here, at a good price, and from a chap I can personally recommend.

RME ADI 2 Dac

If you don’t need the built-in amp and EQ/DSP functionality, then the Bifrost 2 is a better bet. Micro-dynamics aside, the RNHP is no better than the built-in amp here and more of a side-grade/slight-downgrade from the built-in headphone output.

Best D/S DAC this side of a Chord Qutest or Matrix X-Sabre Pro (MQA).

Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus

Enjoyable, engaging, warmish Wolfson DAC implementation, subjectively very nice and a good complement to the RNHP. Objectively, a good way from what’s possible at the price.

SMSL SU-9 (maybe out in May)

May be out in May. May be good. May suck. Don’t bet on futures.

Add to your list, the Topping D90 (I’d like this DAC a lot more if “Topping” came up with a second brand with a name that didn’t sound like a low-rent, bad-side-of-town, mixed-cuisine restaurant).

13 Likes

Exactly! :wink:
I just have to get the RNHP and a DAC at the same time, hence the $ focus.

1 Like

I hear you man!!
And thx for the extensive walkthrough, it made me desire more than one new DAC :scream: :rofl:

Are you saying that the amp in the RME is better than the RNHP?

I’m saying that the RNHP, in either flavor (the raw RNHP or the Fidelice version) is no better than the built-in output on the RME. The RME is considerably more powerful, lower in noise, and objectively a lot better.

The RNHP has slightly better micro-dynamics, a chintzy chassis, and Death Star laser-level LEDs on it. I think it’s extremely overpriced unless you NEED the high-headroom balanced inputs (99% of home uses don’t) vs. what else is available. And moderately overpriced even if you do.

It’s technical performance falls behind the Magni 3+ at $99, and well behind the various balanced THX amps otherwise. And while I subjectively like it more than the THX amps, we’re not talking night and day here.

Just because I like what Rupert Neve has done with some of his studio electronics, doesn’t blind (deafen) me in proper comparisons with his (or his derived) stuff for the home market.

9 Likes

Well, you gave the reason to why the RNHP is a “must have”:

Hmm, this really gives me something to think about. I have for long been VERY interested in the RME, but found it difficult to justify getting it and the RNHP at the same time. I have a pair of Aeolus comming in near future and want something in the dac/amp area to match it.
With the RME (and not the RNHP) there might be room for a decent tube amp. I got the Xduoo Ta10, but want something more.

1 Like

Well, if you were thinking about getting the RME and the RNHP, I would start with the RME unit, since it’s all you need to have a functional system, see how you get on with it, and then add the RNHP later if you still wanted one/weren’t happy with the raw output of the RME unit.

6 Likes

It’s a dessert topping and a floor wax!

When SNL was actually funny.

4 Likes

This.

Sagely advice, and it also follows my experience with the original RNHP and my current ownership of the RME. (Note - I haven’t heard the Fidelice versions outside of RMAF.)

3 Likes

This is the best advice in my opinion as well!

(My opinion follows)
At the end of the day the RME is just too good of a bang for the buck device…get it first and use the great (not exceptional) amp, then save up for the amp of choice down the road if you so desire.

Or just buy the Bifrost2 and Jotunheim combo for about the same price and be done as well lol.

Both options in my opinion (again) are excellent!

8 Likes

I use a Schiit Bifrost 2 into several amps…one is the Monoprice 887 THX AAA amp and the paring is excellent for me…using several differing headphones.

I also use it with the Schiit Jotenheim in balanced mode and its excellent…

Alex

6 Likes

Suggest you declare that you are going to get a McIntosh MHA150 DAC/AMP.

Then you can think about it, forgo the amp stage and the fancy meters, buy the Bifrost 2, and tell your spouse that you have just “Saved” $4200+

9 Likes

thank you David. This is bookmarked and I did a Screenshot in case the forum breaks down

3 Likes

I like your thinking… :thinking:

3 Likes

Ha… my wife calls me a “girl” whenever I justify my audio gear with “it was on sale” “good deal” or other nonsense claims :joy:

13 Likes

Haha! :laughing:

I just get eye-rolls…

But when I rush my lunch listening to The Headphone Show live-stream on Saturday I’m called Kipp from Napoleon Dynamite. :nerd_face:

5 Likes