Which DAC would you get and why?

This.

Sagely advice, and it also follows my experience with the original RNHP and my current ownership of the RME. (Note - I haven’t heard the Fidelice versions outside of RMAF.)

3 Likes

This is the best advice in my opinion as well!

(My opinion follows)
At the end of the day the RME is just too good of a bang for the buck device…get it first and use the great (not exceptional) amp, then save up for the amp of choice down the road if you so desire.

Or just buy the Bifrost2 and Jotunheim combo for about the same price and be done as well lol.

Both options in my opinion (again) are excellent!

8 Likes

I use a Schiit Bifrost 2 into several amps…one is the Monoprice 887 THX AAA amp and the paring is excellent for me…using several differing headphones.

I also use it with the Schiit Jotenheim in balanced mode and its excellent…

Alex

6 Likes

Suggest you declare that you are going to get a McIntosh MHA150 DAC/AMP.

Then you can think about it, forgo the amp stage and the fancy meters, buy the Bifrost 2, and tell your spouse that you have just “Saved” $4200+

9 Likes

thank you David. This is bookmarked and I did a Screenshot in case the forum breaks down

3 Likes

I like your thinking… :thinking:

3 Likes

Ha… my wife calls me a “girl” whenever I justify my audio gear with “it was on sale” “good deal” or other nonsense claims :joy:

13 Likes

Haha! :laughing:

I just get eye-rolls…

But when I rush my lunch listening to The Headphone Show live-stream on Saturday I’m called Kipp from Napoleon Dynamite. :nerd_face:

5 Likes

Where does the D90 fall in the lineup as far as sound quality if the Airist R2R is the sweeter sound, SMSLSU8 is the harshest, and the Bifrost is the most musically involving? Trying to possibly exchange my SMSLSU8 and Topping is a brand they carry.

1 Like

If I remember correctly Ian @Torq mentioned in another thread, that for the Topping D90 should be very similar (if not indistinguishable) from the RME ADI 2 DAC fs In overall sound quality. If IIRC he also mentioned something to the effect of ‘if you only need the DAC portion the D90 could be an alternative to the RME’.

EDIT: found the thread

3 Likes

Anyone had the chance to hear the SMSL VMV D2?; I believe it was floating around shows last year but haven’t seen / heard it being available.

Topping D90 has best measurements on ASR. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-d90-balanced-usb-dac-review.10519/

Why would anyone want to get something else?

1 Like

Well, for one, no it doesn’t.

And then not everyone has the same wants, needs, desires or priorities.

Notwithstanding that, if you follow the objectivist viewpoint to its logical conclusion, then you don’t need something that measures as well as the D90 and can get audibly indistinguishable performance (per that site’s definition of it) while spending much less.

11 Likes

This made me laugh out loud (not intended to offend).

Thanks.

4 Likes

Since nobody has mentioned yet,I will toss the Lampizator Amber 3 into the fray.
For transparency sake I will admit I have not heard it personally,though I did arrange a tour of it over on Head-Fi a few months back. One member who did listen to it was Dave Hanson,and he bounced the Amber 3 off of his Hugo 2 and the Yggy and stated in his review that the Amber 3 beat both handily.

I own its big brother,the Atlantic TRP and this DAC is simply fantastic sounding. Massive images,air,live sounding,yada,yada.

You might reach out to Lampizator N.America and see if another loaner is available.

2 Likes

It probably hasn’t been mentioned because it’s rather out of context in light of what was asked.

If $1500 is pushing it for an DAC and amp, I think almost $3,000 for just a DAC is going to be untenable from a budget perspective.

4 Likes

Fair point. I mustve missed the budget requirements.

@Torq, I think you’ve mentioned before about connecting the M-scaler to different dacs to see how much of a difference it made (non Chord fpga). Was that something that you got around to?

I’ve tried the M-Scaler with every DAC that has come through my hands since it arrived.

How well that works depends greatly on how the DAC you’re feeding from it handles higher-rate input signals, and what it can accept from a single BNC (COAX with a cheap adapter) or TOSLINK connection.

It is definitely at its best with Chord’s DAC supporting dual-BNC (705.6/768 kHz) input (DAVE, Hugo TT2, Hugo 2, Qutest). To the point that I am not sure I’d go back to them without it.

It negatively affects my perception of Schiit’s Yggdrasil Analog 2. Was surprisingly positive with the RME ADI-2 DAC FS (original, not tried it yet with the 4493 version). And didn’t do anything useful for most of the PCM-mode chip-based DACs I’ve tried recently.

It’s been largely positive with NOS DACs (for hopefully obvious reasons).

But, in general, it’s much more interesting with Chord DACs capable of dual-digital input.

5 Likes

That’s interesting that there was a negative affect with the Schiit dac.

It makes sense that the Chord products gave the best results, as they’re designed to link with the M-scaler (dual bnc).

Is there a substantial difference between the HugoTT compared to the Qutest when being ‘fed’ through the M-scaler?

Thank you, Ian.