Which DAC would you get and why?

I don’t think Yggdrasil needs any help from a filter/oversampling perspective. What it is intended to do isn’t the same as the WTA filter. Net effect, they “collide” and in this case rather than getting the best of both worlds, perhaps get the worst.

Impossible to say, really, since the Qutest also requires an amplifier to actually listen to.

That said, I’d take a Hugo TT2, even without the M-Scaler, over the Qutest with one, regardless of what amplification the Qutest was paired with.

1 Like

Thanks Ian! I appreciate it.

1 Like

Sounds like a strategy you have experience with :wink:

1 Like

I have an SACD/CD player with an onboard DAC and RCA outputs. I send that signal directly via a nice OFC cable to my portable iFi xCAN amp. I connect that to my Focal Elegia headphones. Do I even need to introduce any other equipment into this set up? It sounds pretty clean to me. Should I just call it a day and save my money for a better set of closed-back headphones?

2 Likes

Maybe get another set of headphones first, as that would make the biggest difference.

If you don’t have an open back, then I’d strongly suggest a pair of open backs if your listening environment allows for that.

2 Likes

Thanks. Yeah, I have a couple of those, fairly nice, but in a different location. One day it would be nice to see an Elear or Clear hanging next to the Elegia. I just don’t see a use case to upgrade from the source’s own respectable DAC.

1 Like

I have to say Qutest is still a fantastic product from Chord. Qutest and SPL amp are fantastic. Yes, it is still aces above the high-end “Cool Whip” DAC.

I have to raise a glass of whiskey latter today to Torq for helping with the gentle nudge to just purchase it. Sometimes some need to say “The water is fine, just jump in” when you over evaluating your decision.

Some points I will drive down to San Antonio to the Chord Dealer to demo Hugo TT2 with M-Scaler, I am sure it will be a wonderful experience.

2 Likes

Oh, no doubt that’s a fantastic pairing.

Some day I’d like to own gear from those same manufacturers. Good stuff.

Cheers. :tumbler_glass:” “:tumbler_glass:

1 Like

I recently had a Chord Hugo TT2 in house for a few days and compared it with my Schiit Bifrost 2…and for me with my headphones and music found both dacs (yes the TT2 is a dac/amp) are very similar to my ears…level matched and all that gorp…The TT2 is a really excellent unit but for $5495, you can have a very similar experience IMO for a lot less…but that magic spaceball is really neat to look at and use!!

:>)

Alex

9 Likes

The Bifrost2 is certainly a bargain.

4 Likes

I just ordered the Bifrost 2. It’s going to pair with my Asgard 3 replacing the internal Modi Multibit which I’ve greatly enjoyed. Heard it’s more spacious and holographic. Pretty much anyone I’ve talked to has told me they got what they paid for, and this will be my first high end DAC. Saved for three months to get it.

7 Likes

Did you receive the BF2? Would be very interested in hearing your impressions.

I just ordered the Asgard 3 and I am now on the lookout for a DAC to replace my JDS Labs OL DAC.

2 Likes

It ships June 6th. The DAC has been heavily back ordered. Just so good it flies out of stock apparently. I have the Asgard 3 as well, and it will likely pair great. Going to the Lyr 3 later this month.

3 Likes

That will be a very nice setup :wink:

I am also considering the new Modius as I can do without balanced…

2 Likes

They’re waiting on parts to complete units. I emailed Schiit back in early May when the expected ship date was 05/22/20. They told me they were hoping to receive the parts, but that they were expecting delays. On the 22nd they updated the expected ship date to the currently listed 06/09/20 date.

Hopefully they don’t push it back again.

5 Likes

Go for it if that’s where you want to stop. Otherwise consider the Bifrost 2. A few months later maybe top it all off with an Aeolus as a direct upgrade from your current headphones. Or not. Take it easy enjoying the gradual upgrades over time. @Currawong claimed to see the benefits of that dac paired with the Asgard 3 quite clearly using the Drop 6XX. My faith in reviewers has leaned strongest towards him over the last two years being in the hobby. Very honest, transparent, reasonable man. @TylersEclectic also has the Bifrost 2 in his possession. I’m sure he can say plenty about it if you want more details on impressions. There’s talk about it all over these forums, too.

4 Likes

Ive kind of come to similar conclusions re reviews, not specifically @Currawong as I simply havent seen many of his reviews (seems legit though), in that over time you get to get an idea of what ear you want listening. There’s reviewers out there for everyone!!

5 Likes

This! so much this!!! I have been saying for awhile now if you are watching reviewers for their opinion and not just for entertainment… you need to make sure that your preferences align as much as possible so that the advice they give is actually relevant to you =) or as relevant as possible when getting an opinion regarding this sort of thing :wink:

8 Likes

Very true. Many people have different opinions on the same headphones. You especially have to be open to looking up as many reviews as possible with IEMs since a good seal can drastically affect sound. Always keep searching for the people who share your sonic goals. :slight_smile: Didn’t mean to say one reviewer can be all to end all.

3 Likes

I was picking up what you were putting down :wink: no, worries !

3 Likes