A Guide to Dream Theater

Haha, you’re probably right for the S tier. I just felt bad putting 5 albums in the highest tier, but it’s definitely up there.

2 Likes

Pull Black Clouds & Silver Linings down to A tier then. hahaha

Also, Images and Words is G tier.

That’s all just my opinion though. I liked your ranking system. I’m just picking nits.

1 Like

you’re not wrong… Metropolis pt. 1 is the redeeming quality of Images and words.

1 Like

Yeah, he must be surrounded by Yes Men. My biggest issue was that Satriani didn’t play many songs per se. Instead, he jammed, thrashed, tapped, bent, and mainly demonstrated his skills.

Sir: Your meal will consist of nothing but ice cream, pie, and whipped cream. Followed by 3 dozen Maraschino cherries.

Perhaps he was marketing this $5,000 guitar during the show:

It gets my vote for the worst tone ever, my thought after the first few notes was “That man has completely lost his high range hearing!”

Indeed, he was by far the most fun performer of the three.

1 Like

So that guitar has bad tone and is ugly… Pretty sure no one wants to look in a mirror while playing. Oh gosh…
Also I’ve played a few of Satriani’s guitars… and for $5k you can get much much better…
Not that its the end all for guitars (I dont even own one, but it fits for the topic) but the majesty is an absolute shred machine that you can get any tone you want to out of!

1 Like

Love me some Dream Theater. Count of Tuscany is one I love putting on whenever I get new gear. And Live Scenes From New York is of my favourites. Maybe because I’ve never seen them live.

1 Like

Even with seeing them live, Live Scenes From New York is still great!

Haven’t even heard of this before and just started listening to Pull Me Under.

Thank you for this gift.

1 Like

My pleasure! Hope you find more you enjoy as well :blush:

Space Dye Vest is good.

1 Like

Plenty of songs to discover ! Pull Me Under is just the start of this great band. I feel like it’s one of their weaker songs, especially when compared to the rest of their work. It’s one of the more “generic” sounding song from them in my opinion.

1 Like

I got into DT when that album was released. While they haven’t really mastered their own technical wizardry in some of their early songs, it still brings back good memories.

1 Like

I don’t know how I missed this thread considering Dream Theater is my favorite band. I’ve seen them 14 times since the Six Degrees tour began (which is when I discovered them).

Petrucci may not be the “best” guitarist there is, but he’s my favorite due to his song writing abilities. It’s rare for me to tear up during a heavy metal song, but John has the ability to create a story using just his guitar, and it gets me every time; the solo from The Spirit Carries On is a prime example of this.

There aren’t many bands that can match Dream Theater’s technical abilities but still sound musical and engaging; many technical bands sound too robotic and analytical to my ears. John is simply a gifted song writer and I’m very much looking forward to the new album (I think they’re either just finishing it up or just did recently).

For anyone that wants to get an idea for what progressive rock/metal sounds like but prefers only the instrumentation, check out Liquid Tension Experiment. It’s John and Mike from Dream Theater but with no vocalist. Really good stuff, and they too have a new release due out soon (end of the month). Also, Petrucci has two solo albums, both instrumental.

My top three Dream Theater albums are Scenes From A Memory, Images and Words and Train of Thought, with the latter basically being what an early Metallica album would sound like if it was progressive and modernized.

I look forward to seeing Dream Theater tour for their new album, and I am really looking forward to the world opening up again for festivals and concerts!

3 Likes

Mike portnoy seems to be really fun guy lol、i really like dream theater、one of my favourite song is stream of connsciousness think the rythm and tempo switching in this song are very interesting
Also speaking of joe satriani i really like ‘can’t go back’ and ‘soul of distortion’

I saw them for the 15th time last weekend on their A View From The Top Of The World tour, and the sound was actually subpar; way too loud, and LaBrie was too soft in the mix. I haven’t been disappointed with one of their shows in a long time, but this was a bit of a letdown. I still enjoyed myself, but hopefully their sound guys do a better job with the other cities.

I saw them early Feb. and my experience was much the same although LaBrie was too forward… still too loud for the small venue we were in.

3 Likes