AKG K371 Impressions

This EQ seems to work pretty well. Keeps low end rumble, adds some punch, smoothes out the treble a bit and sounds nice and clear. With the right EQ, these headphones show themselves to have some good technical ability. I do wish they weren’t so sensitive to position and seal though.

2 Likes

As per usual, if you are someone who “habla español”, you can find the Spanish version of this review on my blog (link in my profile) and also on YouTube here: Ep.42 - AKG K371

(I apologize for the quality of images in this review, I accidentally wiped the photos I took of the K371, therefore I will post a couple of screenshots from the YouTube version of the review)

Intro…

The AKG K371 are a set of headphones that are marketed as folding studio headphones with accurate, neutral sound and extended frequency response. They have been around for a couple of years now and have become a common recommendation for budget orientated closed back headphones, along with their smaller (ie: cheaper) alternative, the K361. The K371 are currently available on Amazon for just over 100€.

To be honest, I haven’t had any time to do any music production lately and it has been a long time since I was in a studio (before Covid), so my review of these headphones is based solely on using them for music reproduction, for enjoyment, not as a tool which is what their main marketing purpose is.

Presentation…

The K371 arrives in a typical cardboard box with an image of the headphones on the lid and various specs and other information around the exterior.

Upon opening the box, we find the headphones sitting in a folded cardboard shape. There is a 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter also in a cardboard cut out (well, really it’s just a hole) on the top level.

Below the top cardboard layer we find the usual user manual along with a fabric drawstring bag that contains 3 cables. The three included cables are one short straight cable, one long straight cable and one coiled type cable, all of which terminate in a 3 pin mini xlr at the headphone end and a 3.5mm TRS at the other.

The presentation is not anything special but including three different cables is a nice touch and while the drawstring bag will not protect the headphones from bumps and drops, it does protect them from dust when not in use and can also be used for transport, as long as you don’t let it bang around too much.

Build and aesthetics…

Let’s start with the aesthetics. These are plain looking headphones that really don’t stand out from so many other budget offerings, except maybe for the folding mechanism. They aren’t something that I would be attracted to but they are not really offensive in any way either, so I can’t really complain.

As far as build quality, here is where I have heard complaints from other people but in the week or so I have had these headphones, they have not had any issues (yet).

The folding mechanism is a different approach to many other folding headphones. In the case of the K371, they use a pivot to swing around on themselves and fold into the headband area. The same pivoting point is where the headphones slide up and down to adjust the length of the headband. The headband seems to be made of plastic (it is covered in a faux leather material so I can’t really tell) and the bottom extension arms are made of metal, which gives the headphones a bit of extra weight. As I said, I haven’t had any issues but I can totally see the pivot being the weakest link here.

The cups don’t have a huge amount of swivel or adjustment but it is enough, at least for me personally. The pair I have also do not exhibit any creaking noises that I have heard about from others. Again, this may appear with time, I can’t say.

As far as comfort, I don’t find them extremely comfortable. Of course this is personal but the padding on the headband is insufficient in my opinion and creates a hot spot on the top of my head.

The pads aren’t very thick either and with the current clamp force (remember these are still new) they compress enough to allow my ears to touch the drivers which are covered with a thin transparent material.

However, the weight is nice, they are not heavy headphones but they aren’t so light that they feel like they are fake.

One nice thing about the pivoting system is that you can fold one cup backwards and still have the headphones securely on your head. This is very useful for people like DJs, or just monitoring when you want to follow the track but keep one ear free.

Sound…

Let me start off by saying that these headphones are very easy to drive. With an impedance of 32 Ohms and a sensitivity of 114dB, they will run off anything. I have powered them from my phone, dongles, an M0 and also from the usual Atom and Heresy, all of which powered them with ease and did not seem to affect the overall quality at all (well, except maybe my phone which doesn’t sound great but that is not the headphones fault.

In comparison to the other budget closed back headphones that I have on hand, the AudioTechnica M40X and the Beyerdynamic Custom Studio, these (the K371) are much easier to drive in comparison.

The sub bass extension on the K371 is rather well extended, although it is not very smooth. It seems to have a step up as the frequencies get lower, sort of like having two bass shelves. It is not something that is too bad but can be noticeable in tracks that have a lot of movement around the sub bass area. The sub bass on the M40x is almost nonexistent in comparison and it isn’t really fair to compare the Custom Studio due to the different bass tuning options.

In general, the bass frequencies are boosted but they are not too exaggerated. I find them quite pleasing for a lot of music that depends upon bass, such as EDM etc. However, if the recording has a lot of bass, I do find that they can become a little overpowering for my tastes, but remember that I am not much of a bass head myself.

The quality of the bass is not amazing but is more than acceptable for a headphone in this price bracket. Things are not exactly highly defined but the smoothness can work well for many tracks that have simple bass hits, however, when talking about music that has a lot of movement in the bass areas, such as drop tuned metal etc. then I find them to become a little blurry as they struggle to keep up with fast bass lines. Listening to regular bass lines, such as those on “No Ordinary Love” by Sade, they don’t come across as very boosted but are again not as defined as I would like.

The transition into the mids is not at all bad, especially in this price bracket and the mids of these headphones are very pleasurable in my opinion. While the mids are slightly rolled off, they don’t lack presence at all and vocals sound very natural. I listened to the album “Graceland” on these and found that they do a very good job of portraying both Paul Simon’s voice and the backing vocals. In general the mids sound very clean and I would say they are my favourite part of the K371.

In the higher mids, the K371 rolls off smoothly to a dip around 4kHz without actually boosting the 3kHz mark. In comparison to the M40x, this sounds much more natural. They keep voices present without seeming harsh.

The higher regions of the K371 are maybe a little darker than I would prefer but they are again not bad at all for a headphone of this type and in this price bracket. I did miss some of the shine and a bit more air on a great number of tracks but this is my personal preference and would probably not be something that the majority would look for.

As far as sibilance, I listened to the usual test track songs such as “Code Cool” and “Hope Is a Dangerous Thing”, both of which were presented without sibilance or harshness. I again found them to be a little darker than I would prefer but it is not a deal breaker.

Speed and definition is not the strongest point of these headphones and there are parts of busy songs where I feel that the 50mm driver struggles to keep up the pace but to be fair, in those tracks the M40x does not do any better (in fact it does worse) and the Custom Studio is only slightly better.

As far as soundstage, these are not very wide but are not overly intimate either. For a closed back headphone I would say that they are acceptable and for 100€, I would say the are pretty good. The placing of images inside this width is not amazing either but it is very smooth. While they don’t pinpoint a sound to the mm, the transition of the pencil from left to right in “Letter” is very smooth and doesn’t give the impression of any jumps.

Conclusion…

The AKG K371 is a headphone that is supposed to follow the Harman curve pretty closely, which is to be expected as AKG are owned by Harman (Samsung). The Harman curve is a tuning that is aimed to be pleasing to the majority of listeners, which I can understand the K371 being just that.

For my personal tastes, I would prefer to drop the bass a little and add a little more in the higher regions, making them sound a little brighter but I get tired of dark sounding headphones pretty quickly. I am not saying that these are very dark sounding headphones but they are just not quite bright enough for me personally.

In comparison to the M40x, I would certainly recommend these over the Audio Technica version. The K371 just seems to be better overall, everything is polished a bit better. In comparison to the Custom Studio, I would probably still pick the Beyerdynamics if I could only have one, but the possibility to change bass response is a large factor in that decision.

As the K361 supposedly has a lighter bass response, I think that I will give those a try and see what I feel about them in comparison to the K371, they may fit my overall tastes a little more.

At the end of the day, I feel like the K371 are a good option for anyone looking for a portable closed back headphone for general listening and doesn’t want to spend a fortune. They are a good set of headphones that will be liked by a large percentage of the general public that buys them. They would be a great choice for those looking to buy for someone who is not heavily into the headphone world.

11 Likes

Another excellent review @SenyorC, and an interesting read.

1 Like

Thank you kind sir!!

1 Like

I have the K361. I like it a lot, especially for sources with no fancy amp available.

Lord, how I hated those pads when I first tried them! So squishy-soft and shallow. I literally ripped them off in anger and replaced them with a pair of ZMF cowhides. Those wrap nicely around the cups, and all I had to do was cut a tiny hole for the cable to fit through.

2 Likes

I have the K361 currently, although I haven’t really spent much time with them yet.

How did the pads affect the sound?

(Not that I plan on doing it as a set of ZMF pads plus shipping and import is probably twice the cost of the headphones :smiley: )

For me they improved the sound no less than 100%, since I couldn’t be bothered to listening to them at all with those stock pads. I went from Zero to a hundred in nothing flat!

1 Like

I see some find the sub-bass a bit excessive, but that’s honestly what I like the most about these headphones. I actually like that the bass region has very good texture and extension without sounding too warm.

I’ve been searching for a potential upgrade but I still haven’t found something that completely convinces me. I also have the Sundaras, and pairing them with the bass boost from iFi’s zen dac is really enjoyable, but the sensation is not quite the same as it is with the K371s. I got the Denon AH-D7200 recently and I find it good with EQ, but a tad too warm, and not the most comfortable. Tried the Sivga Phoenix but didn’t like them, bass sounded too dirty to me.

I think I’d prefer something closed to get more of that rumble/reverb that is more felt than heard, although I’m not sure. I think I should try a closed planar, but from what I’ve read so far, I’m not sure anything fits the bill. Right now I was concentrating on the Aeon models from Dan Clark Audio, but @Resolve mentioned in his review of the Noire that, even though its bass extension measures well, it seems to roll off when worn.

Would anyone have other suggestions for me? I’m located in Germany in case that’s important.

1 Like

Perhaps check out the ZMF closed backs, subject to availability in your locale.

Thanks for your input, there is a shop not too far from where I live that might even allow me to audition ZMF headphones, and I had heard/read about them. I’ll definitely consider them, although I’d rather not spend so much if I can avoid it; I mostly care about macro characteristics, so hopefully I could get away with something cheaper, but I’ll have to see.

You bet and I hear you. Perhaps one from the Focal lineup: Elegia, Radiance, Celestee. Good luck.

Yo hablo castellano! Me gusta mucho tu review.
De que zona de espana eres?

Have headphones.com every done a frequency graph of the AKG K371?
I know its based on harman curve but would be interesting to see how it shows.
Tonaly they are perfect for my taste.

Soy de Murcia.

I don’t think that these have been graphed by @Resolve (who can correct me if I’m wrong).

Crinacle has measured them:

1 Like

Muchas gracias :+1:
Yo soy ingles pero me crie en Denia(alicante).
Me alegro de ver que hay gente espanola aqui.
Saludos

1 Like

I believe oratory1990 has also measured them.

I’ve been enjoying my HE6SE, but it’s annoying being tethered to a speaker amp. Yesterday, I played around with Toneboosters Morphit headphone simulations, and reverse engineered a 75% wet Susvara simulation. With this EQ, the K371 does indeed take on some of those Hifiman traits–neutral but deep bass that rumbles when called upon but otherwise stays out of the way, laid back but natural sounding mids, sparkly, detailed treble and an open sounding head stage that avoids sounding diffuse. It’s a very different sound from the stock K371 or the typical Harman headphone correction, and I’m digging it. I tried it with streaming video, which tends to expose unnaturally boosted upper mids and treble, and to my ear, this tuning toes the line of detailed, approaching bright, but without becoming sibilant or hissy.

For anyone who wants to try it, here are the settings.

4 Likes

Yeah here’s how ours measures - pretty close to Crin’s as well, maybe some slight differences in the upper mids but that’s sort of how it goes with closed-back variation, and coupling/clamp differences. Importantly, this is one where the lower the clamp force, the more bass you get - provided there is still a seal. So it’s a bit counter-intuitive, but it actually makes sense when you look at how the pads compress.

2 Likes

The only reason these aren’t an instant buy for me is the scary QC problems a lot of reviewers and people in general have had, a few of the reviewers going through more than two pairs due to breaks, channel imbalance, etc… and like 85% of units having at least some sort of visible flaw, such as pads not decompressing.
So, my question: where would be the best place to buy these, or what is the best way to go about doing it to have the best chances of a good unit and good warranty/return policy?

I bought them through AKG, and I exchanged the first pair due to QC issues without any problem; their customer service was great. I’ve not had issues since and have had them well over a year now.

2 Likes