Do you still have your first "good" headphone?

I was rummaging through a bunch of stuff yesterday and finally found my old AKG K142HD that I thought I had thrown away years ago.

Needless to say, I was stoked.

Who out there still has their first “good” headphone? You know, the thing that got you into this mess in the first place.

6 Likes

The headphone that started it for me was the HD598 SE, which I gifted to a friend who still uses it. My next best Sennheiser was the HD600, which is now in the hands of my brother in law. So while I don’t still “have” them, I didn’t let them stray too far from home.

4 Likes

Yep. Sennheiser HD-580. Picked them up while I was in high school, so early 90s.

Tom

4 Likes

Mine are long gone I’m afraid, too many travels and parties for then to survive :wink:

2 Likes

Yup. My hd650s from 2003 (or 2004, I can’t remember). I was just listening to them on the 3F.

7 Likes

Sennheiser HD598. 8 or 9 years ago? I’m still using it at work. The only thing I had to replace was the top cushion because it finally fell apart few years ago. It’s hands down the most comfortable headphones I’ve ever owned. It was a “gift” exchange with my best buddy on our birthday. The ridiculous excuse we had to invented to justify it when we just started working (broke). I don’t think I ever want to part with it. So much sentimental value. :relaxed:

2 Likes

My first good headphone: Stax SRD-34 and yes I still have them. They have been slightly modded to use larger over-ear pads like those AKG/Hifiman which to me makes them sound all the better with much better comfort and far cheaper than OEM Stax ear pads which only last 2-3 years with very little use.

6 Likes

Yes, I actually have my first entry level headphone the one that got me into this hobby, my Bose QC15 and my first “good” headphone the Oppo PM2

5 Likes

sounds like they had a good life!

1 Like

I still have my Massdrop AKG K7xx from years ago.

6 Likes

Do Koss PortaPros count as good? I had a slew of similar products back in the Walkman era.

I don’t have some awful $100 Sennheiser noise canceling headphones with a battery holder, and my wife chewed up my Bose QC15s with a vacuum cleaner.

I do have my first ‘audiophile’ headphones: HD-600s.

7 Likes

Id say the portapros are pretty good.
At least from what ive heard

1 Like

My first “Good” set was a Stax SR-44 that I purchased in the late 70’s at a literal fire sale from a long gone higher end stereo store in Kansas City. Used them for years until they developed a hiss, probably
an issue in the adaptor. Stax had no presence in the U.S. at that time that I could find (pre internet) so I ended up giving them to my older brother. He has since passed away and I don’t know what happened to them.

6 Likes

I’ve been in this hobby far too long to still own the first ‘good’ headphone haha. For me it was the Denon D1001, which is now basically the Creative Aurvana Live - so it’s nice to see my initial entrance into this hobby come full circle. But as far as the first real ‘flagship’, or what I would have considered a flagship at the time, it was the original HiFiMAN HE-500. Sadly I sold it during grad school to afford instant noodles - the kind that comes in the bowl or cup because I didn’t have proper dishware. I remember meeting up with the buyer at my local grocery store, and then literally buying instant noodles with some of the money he gave me for it. That memory still haunts me. The moral of the story: think twice before selling beloved gear. Also, instant noodles are bad for you.

19 Likes

Nope. It was a Grado 60. Gave it away when I’m got Sennheiser 650s, which one eventually gave away ( in need of repair) after I got AKG 701s, which I replaced with HiFiMan 400is, and still have but they’re in need of repair. And have upgraded from there.

1 Like

My first good headphone was the Koss Pro 4A, back in 1984. I still have it, kind of, because I bought another Pro 4A a few years ago–out of nostalgia as much as anything else. With an OTL amp and a little EQ it still sound pretty good.

2 Likes

Instant noodle technology at least in the US(probably most places outside of asia) is painfully behind

My first audiophile headphone was the 6XX which i loved and after a week thought I would never sell. A few weeks later I saw a deal on a 660s and the 6XX was gone forever.

2 Likes

Yep, still have my Denon AH-D2000. Barely use them anymore but keep them just because.

4 Likes

Ohh yeah! It’s still one of the best listens among all - the mighty Sennheiser HD600 - the king!

3 Likes

I sold off half my collection during grad school to afford instant noodles and laundry money. The only remnants are the HD600 and UE TripleFi 10. How ironic to see someone else who had similar grad school struggles. Kudos (Y).

2 Likes