Amazon Original Movie: The Sound of Metal

Hello all. I stumbled across this video on Amazon about a musician with progressive hearing loss. It looks artfully produced, amd ticks a few important boxes, hearing loss (my daughter), love of music, sobriety.

I haven’t seen it yet, but I immediately thought of this forum and had to share. My wife and I have a “date” to watch it this weekend and I’ll share my thoughts afterward.

Has anybody here seen it or have thoughts to share?

10 Likes

Its a great movie!! It hit home to me too on a big level with me being in similar structured recovery homes although he is trying to recover from primarily hearing loss(secondarily heroin abuse) and how to live with it, it is still very similar to the situation I went through 12 years ago with substances. The movie also really makes you think about how grateful we are to have hearing and how much of a dramatic change it would be to lose it. This movie should be watched by all!
A real eye opener and amazing portrayal or real-life sized characters.

8 Likes

I’m sure you and your wife will love it. There are some amazing supporting characters in the story too. Look forward to hearing how you feel after seeing it and message me if interested

3 Likes

Right! The actor who played the man who runs the halfway house is “.… a Veteran, a CODA, (Child of Deaf Adults), a Court Certified American Sign Language interpreter, a musician, and the lead singer for the Hands of Doom ASL ROCK, a band that performs in American Sign Language.” How awesome to cast someone who is already a part of the community.

1 Like

Funny you bring him up as he was my favorite character/actor

Im gonna have to look that band up. Sounds awesome!

1 Like

Sounds a little like plot elements from the most recent “A Star is Born” movie.

2 Likes

A star is born I thought was more primarily about the abuse and this movie strictly focuses more about the recovery. Both great movies and agree they have a lot of similarities. Funny you bring that up as my grandfather wrote the story to a star is born.

3 Likes

That’s awesome. Also awesome was how you said it, as a “by the way…”.

2 Likes

Finally got around to watching this. There were some plot details I questioned, but I honestly think Sound of Metal is one of the best movies I’ve ever seen. Phenomenal story, characters, acting, cinematography and sound design — interestingly the movie that first came to mind in terms of sound design was 2001. Was completely surprised by that ending - expecting something different, but part of the great storytelling.

3 Likes

I recently watched it too, and really enjoyed it. Definitely not a relaxing watch.

I thought 2020 was a fantastic year for movies, but it may be that it just seemed better than previous years because I was stuck at home and watched more. I also found it refreshing that I watched more “indie” movies, rather than superhero or big budget movies.

Nomadland was probably my favorite movie in years. I kept putting it off because the premise seemed depressing, but I was surprised that the story was quite uplifting.

Minari was terrific too - the story of South Korean immigrants trying to run a farm in 1980s Arkansas.

Promising Young Woman and One Night In Miami round up the favorite movies that I can remember watching. And I’ll throw in the Snyder cut of Justice League, which may as well be regarded as a new movie, and was a lot better than the original theatrical release IMO.

3 Likes