Ampsandsound Mogwai

3rd day using it and allready sounds quiter
I did take the tubes out and refitted so not sure if that made a diference or if its just settling in.
Still background noise but its over halfed since yesterday :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Yea, if it’s that new you might see that it settles in a few weeks. If you tap the transformers a bit does the sound go away? I noticed that if I did that a few times it would settle a bit.

No change by tapping anything
Still noise but it has got better but still there
Even thought with the hd600 there is noise from the 300ohm tap I would have tought that it would have been quite from the 32ohm but it is not.
First 2 days was bordering unlistinable but today its passable.Still a bit irritating but not as bad as yesterday.
Tried unpluging all close electricals but noise still there.
Hopefully it will get better as I use it more.

Sounds like you already answered your question, power. I’ve personally just settled for power inducing noise for now but might be trying some remedy soon. I get a hum when I turn on my amp and I get periodic noise in the headphones sounding like static. I’m sure there’s probably noise from around the amp that’s adding to the noise (emi, etc). I did find when transformers are covered, they’re quieter by quite a bit but this isnt always an option. If you started like me, plugging it directly to the wall or a cheap power strip, then your dealing with power that probably goes through all your electronics in the house. This leads down a rabbit hole in regards to power and I know there is a thread about power and noise.

I have literally just unplugged every electronic in my house
Incl cooker, grill microwave fridge phone chargers table lamps tv pc dacs other amps etc and the only thing plugged in my hole house in the amp direct to a single wall power socket and it doesn’t change. Noise still there exactly the same. No more no less :man_shrugging:t3:
House is only 5 years old aswell :flushed:

I’ve talked to people before on this subject and I’m no expert but the biggest question is how dirty is the power coming into your house (and the same with mine) and more than likely, your amp is amplifying that noise that’s coming through your wall. Even if you have a dedicated line for your amp which I have not done either, there’s probably noise coming in the line. I’ll be able to test this theory in the next week, going down the power conditioner rabbit hole suggested from Justin.

I’ve seen recent video’s from Justin where he has either two or three conditions in his house per room, per setup.

Just my thoughts and two cents.

2 Likes

Was also looking in to this but not sure what I am getting as in the UK they dont seem to be many good power conditioners available.
Justin suggested i try this first

1 Like

Justin would be an excellent resource, I’m reciting some of the things he’s tried to explain to me and could explain them better of course. I’ve also talked with Walter Liederman and I think he would be a better reference for power issues in addition to Justin.

Gonna see how I get on the next few weeks see if it improves and if not I think I will have to look in to power conditioners.
I was reading about replacing the middle tube to lower the gain? Not sure if this would work. As I have noticed I can only go about a quarter of volume with hd600 and its very loud.
And I do like listening to my music loud

3 Likes

Lowering the gain will drop the noise floor but that periodic noise if your getting it and it sounds like an old telephone line and there’s static once in a while, that gain won’t cure that. If it’s a constant hum, it will help darken it some. The volume window might not open much at all. I’ve personally come to terms and gotten used to the volume window and what works best for me. How much do you really need to use or do you usually just use a few notches and does it give you enough flexibility, which it should.

I am getting no periodic noise.
It is just a costant noise.
Its like a old crt tv noise before you plug in a aerial and you get the fusy screen and a noise at the same time.
(Sorry dont know how else to explain)

I have the Tung Sol 6L6GC’s too. They’re the best bang (literally) for the buck I’ve found so far. I’ve put them away for the NOS 6550 black plates, but I’ll be rolling them back in at some point.

3 Likes

What are everyones favorite headphone synergy with the mogwai?
Currently loving the punch this amp gives to the aryas
:heart:

1 Like

It surprised me with the DCA Noire. I’d never thought they would sound so good together.

I did send them back because of the lack of macro dynamics so I assume the mogwai is giving you that missing punch like it is with the aryas for me :headphones: :heart:

Surely doesn’t make miracle but I’m pretty happy for the additional punch and the smoother treble. I usually use the Noire for psychoacoustic phenomena music (Alvin Lucier, Éliane Radigue, Christina Kubisch) when micro dynamics count more the macro but a little punch never sounds bad.

1 Like

You’ve got a little more noise than I do. I do get some of this noise at higher volumes. I’m going to try usb, dc and a conditioner in the next week or so, so I’ll get to see if these things really work and if I get get that hiss at higher volumes (very mild) to turn to blackness, we’ll see.

My noise doesnt change with volume.
Also does not change if I unplug rca either.
It gets slightly louder with hd600 for example the higher impedance I use. So more noise from 300ohm tap than the other 2 but still noticible on the 32ohm and hardly noticible on the 8ohm.
With my radiance and lcd xc its noticible on all the taps
With the arya its gone

2 Likes

6L6GCs do sound great but I found them to be quite noisy compared to KT88s and 6384s. I also found that the 2k copper cable is significantly less noisy than the Lektrik S cables from ZMF so different cables could potentially help here.

Is there a specific/better KT88 to get?
Would like to give KT88 a try but not sure what Im looking for?