Decware Zen Taboo MKIV Reference Headphone Amplifier

This is the place to discuss the Decware Zen Taboo headphone amplifier.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/TABOO.htm

13 Likes

I placed my order this morning for a Zen Taboo. I’m really looking forward to listening to it, though there is a current 7-month wait time (500+ orders in the queue).

Thanks to @Nick_Mimi and @Torq for their help and suggestions.

12 Likes

I didn’t know they were selling through drop. ducks

2 Likes

500+ in queue? Damn.

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Wow. I emailed him probably 3 weeks ago and the list was 375 @ “20+ weeks”

2 Likes

That’s a lot of volume. I guess they’re mostly members of other forums, or silent contributors here.

2 Likes

Luxury and hobby stuff seems to be flying off the shelves after the recent stimmy checks. I’ve gotten rid of a bunch of stuff on Ebay at ridiculously good prices. A headphone amp like this sells to people who likely have plenty of money and see $2K items as “a free government gift.”

Odds are the government generosity will decline and some people will sell their new purchases before too long. There may be more on the market.

1 Like

According to Sarah they were at roughly a 4 month lead time until Steve Guttenberg did a review on a couple of their amps which put them at the current 7-months.

Steve Guttenberg has a lot of followers, and Steve Deckert has designed some highly regarded amplifiers.

I was pointed towards Decware by @Nick_Mimi whom owns a couple of their amps. I’m really looking forward to my build, as I opted for all of the “bells and whistles”.

8 Likes

That thing looks beautiful, like a show piece… :yum:

1 Like

What kind of upgrades did you do with the taboo? :slight_smile:

All of them, haha.

Balanced inputs, Silver RCA’s, and All Copper capacitors. And a custom wood base.

All the “bells and whistles”.

4 Likes

That’s amazing! I chatted with Steve a couple of weeks back, he had suggested to get the ZBit box instead of getting the balanced input options. He was saying with that the voltage into the amp could be adjusted better when connected to various sources with an external box with a transformer in it. Apparently that’s how the balanced to single ended conversion happens internally as well.

2 Likes

Favorable Steve + Andrew YT reviews in the last year = growing wait list.

5 Likes

Yeah, they do that internally with the ZEPRE amp (that ones on my wishlist).

So far they’ve been very helpful and have provided excellent customer service. :+1:t4:

2 Likes

What headphones are you planning to use with this? I would love to know what you think of the lucid mode when you get the amp! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I bought it for my Focal Clear MG, and using the speaker taps ( at 3.4 watts) for my HifiMan HE6se.

I’m also eyeing an Audeze LCD-4.

It should pair nicely with those.

2 Likes

Awesome! I would imagine the speaker taps would be the way to go for something like Susvara as well.

The other thing Steve had mentioned to me was that the rectifier tube makes a big difference to this amp as well, would be interested to hear from other Decware owners if they have made any changes to the default tubes(which work really well based on what I read on the Decware forums).

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve been told the stock tubes do work well. That being said, I’ve been eying some rectifiers, like the Sophia Electric (I have their 6SN7 in my preamp) and Elrog ER274b.

I’ll have plenty of time to look into tubes with my seven month wait.

3 Likes

Rectifier rolling should be fun. I was shocked at the difference between a 5AR4 and a 5U4G on my Nautilus, and much preferred the extra drive and rhythm that the 5AR4 gave me - based on my musical taste obviously, and other people will prefer the 5U4G.

BTW, that blue Sophia 274b looks gorgeous.

3 Likes

It can be fun (and expensive :laughing:).

Yeah, there’s something about that blue glass.

2 Likes