Astell&Kern A&norma SR25

Yes we will be! Dealers can’t start taking pre-orders until May 4th so you’ll see it up on Headphones.com on Monday.

6 Likes

Ok, SR25 w/2.5mm balanced to xlr adapter to the Stellia … is a fantastic combo…I really like it… it is giving my desktop synergies with the Stellia a run for their money.

only a couple tracks in but dang… it works really well together…

3 Likes

Mother of God, Please make him stop!

:rofl:

1hr later and I am down 4k LOL!
stop stop stop… is all in my head!
LOL

5 Likes

Ha! I still like my Cayin better…but the SR25 has better synergy with the Stellia I can tell already… let me swap to my VC with the SR25 and see how that pairs

3 Likes

Oooh… nice… Astell and Kern really know how to make a DAP… I like the dynamics of this… this thing hits and has a nice profile…I like how percussion sounds on it

edit…I just wish it had a 4.4mm out lol

3 Likes

The Arche plus Stellia… top Deal!

2 Likes

For anyone interested in a stylized unboxing of the SR25 from @Resolve

@TylersEclectic also did a live unboxing here (along with the Focal Stellia)

5 Likes

Astell & Kern is a South Korean company that is part of the iRiver family of audio products. The A&K branding has been around for several years now and is well-known in the portable audio world for making high-end and unique designs for music on-the-go. This quick set of impressions will take a look at two of their devices, the very large Kann Cube, which was released in 2019, and their newest model, the small SR25, which is an update to the SR15. (Cube review is in the cube thread)

Both of these units were loaned to me by the fine folks at Headphones.com and will be returned to them shortly.

SR25

Build

This model is a slightly larger version of the SR15 with a silver colorway instead of the darker tone of the older sibling. It’s unique look of the titled screen is very polarizing, but I really dig it, because it looks correct when you’re holding it in your hand.

And this is small enough to do so unlike the Cube, and that makes this one very easily transported in your pocket or by hand. It does have some square edges all around that may be annoying to hold, but a case can fix that up from my experience.

Features

Like the Cube, above, the SR25 has USB-C, 3.5mm and 2.5mm balanced, 3 unknown marked buttons, and a clicky volume knob. The latter of these are all shrunken down in size to fit the smaller form factor.

The SR25 still suffers from lag that I experienced with the SR15. This isn’t really seen if you just use the normal player and play only offline files, but when you start to use the app service and load up a streaming app, in my case Quboz, it becomes slower. It will vary a bit from time to time from running normal to grinding to a halt, especially if you’re searching while listening to music, or doing offline downloads.

This really limited by both the weaker processor and the limited RAM on the device. I wish A&K, and most of these DAP manufacturers would put more effort into picking a more modern SOC and adequate RAM for using an Android system. It would solve speed, memory and battery issues.

Now the good news is the that the larger screen is a little easier to navigate than the small SR15 screen. I’ve gotten semi-used to working through a smaller screen of the ZX507, so using the SR25’s similarly sized screen isn’t too challenging, but folks with larger hands or fingers may find it problematic if you need to type.

Sound

The sound here is very A&K house sound. It’s very mid-range focused with a warm and thicker sound. It’s not quite as intimate and rich as the SR15 was from memory, as I feel its a tad leaner and the treble isn’t as laid back,but it is still colored. It’s very similar to my ZX507, though maybe with a bit more lower mid-range and bass emphasis even. This type of sound is very “musical” and people who enjoy that warm, liquid-type sound will probably enjoy this one or the other A&K DAPs, besides the Kann Cube.

8 Likes

Thank you very much for these impressions. Did you happen to try the SR25 with your Campfire Andromeda? If so, do these impressions apply to the Andro as well? (I can’t see why they wouldn’t but my knowledge of physics is embarrassingly poor).

My current DAP is the AK Jr., which I like with my Andromeda 2020 in most respects except one: the striking lack of macro-dynamics; there’s just no punchiness, and the overall sound is far too soft. My concern is that this might have something to do with sensitive BA IEM pairings or else the AK house sound (the latter being something I read in a comment on another forum).

I know the Andro 2020 has decent macro-dynamics. It’s fine from other setups, as with a Fulla 2 or Magni 3 (with a very careful, slight turn of the volume pot). If the SR25 provides some decent oomph and slam with my Andros, then I think I’d be all set to get one!

2 Likes

Yeah… honestly it was very similar to the SR15… I think the SR25 paired wonderfully with the Andro2020 =)

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to reply - that’s great news! My piggy bank is now eyeing me anxiously.

I’ll post some impressions when I get the SR25. Thanks again.

3 Likes

I currently use iTunes and All my Albums have Cover Artwork. I want to know if the artwork will transfer when I drag the album folders to the SR25. Can any one answer this question?

It should I have sa700 and it does no problem

I am in the market for a DAP to use with my Andromeda 2020. I’ve read above regarding the pairing – great info! – and now I’d like hear about experience with the wifi connection. I plan to stream more than play stored music and want to make sure its wifi connection is rock solid.

Thanks

1 Like

I haven’t any experience with A&K Daps as such, but have with various other one’s. I’ve not had many issues with WiFi it’s always been battery drain when using WiFi that’s been the issue. I hope that sometime in the very near future that they fix this issue.

I hope you find the Dap that you’re looking for. I do love my Dap’s.

Does anyone have any idea if there is a way to set the SR25’s volume to a certain level that the player will be at upon powering up (no matter what the level was when the player powered down)?

I use Focal Celestees with my S25 when on the road, and while the Focal have more than sufficient bass and slam when using my home system, I find the bass a little underwhelming on the S25 (so it must be the A&K, not the Focal).

Can anyone recommend EQ settings or other adjustments that would beef up the bass? Thanks!

I’ve upgraded to the SR25 MkII from the SR15 due to both the balanced and unbalanced jacks now intermittently cutting out.
My previous DAPs were an XDuoo X3, Opus 1 and the previously mentioned A&K SR15.
While I could have saved a few hundred bucks and gone with the original SR25, I specifically wanted the 4.4mm balanced jack as I’ve been known to be a bit rough on my DAPS and figured the 4.4mm is more robust so should stand up to abuse better.

I won’t bore you with 3 pages detailing how I opened the box and unpacked the SR25, suffice it to say the box is functional and protected the unit. The box included 2 sets of screen protectors, a stiff USB type C cable and a start up guide.
After charging the SR25 overnight I inserted a 400GB micro SD card and started the unit, it took about 1/2 an hour to scan the complete library, considerably faster than my SR15.
The UI is much better than the SR15, more like it’s A&K big brothers? not sure but I like it.
The first song I queued up was Ralph McTell “The Islands”, it’s my goto for bass. About halfway through the song I was literally stunned when I heard drums where I hadn’t before. I know, every print reviewer gushes about how their new DAP/AMP/Headphone etc. revealed previously unheard sounds, but honestly I’d never heard this bit of drum previously.
I’m not saying that with the SR25MkII I could pick out the 3rd mezzo-soprano burping after a particulary spicy pizza, or hear the sound of Jimi Hendrix breaking a fingernail on a string while playing Voodo Chile, but this DAP seems to be a champ at retrieving details.
I’ve got about 30 to 40 hours on the SR25. I continue to be very pleased.
Bass is full and fleshed out, it’s not flabby or one note sloppy.
Midrange is solid and realistic. The SR25 MKII is very kind to female vocals, can’t say I’ve heard Eva Cassidy sound better (but then I’ve not heard her on more expensive gear and my vinyl copies of her LPs are so old and worn it’s an unfair comparison). Top end has plenty of sparkle, and so far isn’t harsh or shrill at all. One of my litmus tests is piano music, and through the SR25 MkII piano sounds weighty and realistic.

I’m a believer in letting gear break in, so I’ll keep this short. I will also follow up when I’ve gotten
and broken in a 4.4mm terminated cable for my 64Ears Nio.
Until then I am one happy camper. Thanks again to Headphones dot com for the outstanding service and fast shipping.

5 Likes

I use my astel and kern with campfire audio solaris and sometimes when the volume wheel is moved it automates the volume control on the screen, about 5 times now blowing the volume to 150. With the solaris it nearly blows your ears out.

I cant find a volume cap setting for this, just a limit that isnt really a limit but a generic warning that doesnt even work half the time. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? i dont want to damage my ears.

Thanks!

I want to connect my SR25 balanced output to the balanced input of my active speakers, which has two 3-pin XLR inputs.
Does anyone know where I can buy the cable to do this ? The SR25 manual states that the 2.5mm output provides signal, and the earth of the 3.5mm provides the earth. I’m not able to find this cable available anywhere.
Thanks !
JohnT