Astell&Kern - Official Thread

The SP1000 and SP1000M sound exactly the same as far as I can tell.

On paper the SP1000M technically outperforms the SP1000 in mode for SNR, crosstalk, and THD+N when both units are in balanced mode, and matches it in everything except THD+N with both units in single-ended mode. And the SP1000M has better clock/jitter performance.

The differences are below audible limits, however, so they’re don’t really mean anything.

I like the Stellia best out of the N8 in tube mode.

But then I like almost everything better out of the N8’s tube mode vs. any other DAP or the N8’s solid-state outputs. Which has little to do with technical fidelity and more to do with just raw enjoyment.

In other words, solid-state mode out of either player is going to be technically higher in raw fidelity if not necessarily as enjoyable to listen to (that’s always going to be personal) … though both players sound amazing regardless of which output or mode they’re in.

3 Likes

Now what’s this suspiciously evocative thing:

VERY reminiscent of the first A&K DAPs.

Not quite sure where this would sit in the line-up. It looks to be outside the new branding (Ultima/Futura/Norma). Closest current model looks to be the SR15. They trade blows on specs, with the SA700 having USB-C, double the storage, and higher bit-rate DSD support, but the SR15 having better measurements, about half the weight and usefully smaller.

Pretty though …

2 Likes

Hi I love A&K DAP. I tested SR 25 and SE 100 both sounded awesome but sadly it seems they dont have USB audio (or maybe i am wrong). Does anyone know a good DAP which supports USB audio?

1 Like

Both will work fine as USB DAC/amps and as USB sources.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Astell&Kern (A&Ultima) - SP2000 Digital Audio Player - Official Thread

just got the astell & Kern SA700 today and tidal I’m liking it really good right now anyone have any tips to help with the learning curve :grinning:

2 Likes

Can anyone describe the differences between the A & K Kann Alpha and the Kann Cube? My priorities are sound quality, streaming (Amazon Music HD), and relative ease of operation. Don’t care about portability or Bluetooth. Also would it be a better idea to start off with the SR 15? Thanks.

1 Like

If it is your fist A&K why not the SR25?
Costs as the SR15 but has some improvements, a battery life of 21 hours and USB C connection instead of micro UBS. Check @antdroid post about DAP for beginners you can find a lot of useful infos: Best android Dap in the market today - #9 by antdroid

1 Like

Here you find compatible apps with A&K DAPs: Astell&Kern

1 Like

Hoping there is a Broadband/Comms expert here on the thread…
I’ve got an A&K Alpha and I’ve installed the Tidal &Qobuz App via pure apk.
Issue is that these stop streaming after seven minutes, without fail. Reason given on the Alpha screen is Lost Connection Retry. I think it’s either my Broadband timing out of the Alpha timing out.
I’m with BT and have the Smart Hub 2 with Black Wi-Fi Discs.
I’ve been though all settings on the Alpha and all are set correctly.
Can anyone shed some light on what may be wrong with a possible resolve?
Many thanks.

1 Like

Where did you download the apps from?
I had the same issue when I downloaded them from apkpure. I have deleted and downloaded from apkmirror.
Never had a single problem since then.
Streaming from A&K can be sometimes not the best experience possible.
When I was using Tidal I preferred to download the music I wanted to listen to instead of stream it.
It was a much more better experience.

Hi monochromios,
Many thanks for your reply.
Thanks for your recommendation towards apkmirror.
I indeed downloaded from apkpure…
Now I I will do the same as yourself and keep my fingers crossed. Really thought I had a defective unit that needed to be sent to Germany for investigation and repair as per A&K recommendation.
Many thanks and I’ll report back with my findings later this evening.
All the best to you!

2 Likes

No problem, happy to help when I can.
Give it a try and carefully check your unit.
I know form @antdroid that streaming isn’t so plain with A&K devices.
Let me know if you’ll solve and enjoy.

Hi monochromios,
I deleted the Apps from apkpure and installed via apkmirror.
Unfortunately, the same issue occurs after seven minutes. Cuts off.
Different message pops up on the Alpha screen… Problem with connection. Retry.
Any other ideas please?

1 Like

Sorry to read this.
As I wrote before I tend(ed because I don’t use anymore streaming services) to download the music I want to listen to.
It’s a function that both Tidal and Qobuz have.
Doing that even with apkpure apps I never had problems.
If the connection fails also in doing this then may be some issues in the device and in wifi.
Check your wifi and if the problem persist have your unit checked is the only way.
Be sure to check the “app authority” in services menu.
Go to services and touch the rounded “i” (information) you find near the app and authorise the app for storage.
After you do this try to stream first and see how it works. Then you can use the app for download contents.
But if problem persists it’s better to have the device controlled in order to avoid future major issues.
If you’re in trouble drop me a line.

1 Like

Be sure to check the “Test Network Connection” in the wifi menu too since you’re having problems with it, it’s at the end of the wifi menu.

It’d be great if they’d spec a DAP in the A&ultima with SP2000’M" form factor with balanced 4.4m Pentaconn, dual uSD card slots.

1 Like

Hello everyone. I own the SR25, and am looking for comparisons to the Kann Alpha for sound. IEMs would be used 90% of the time for this DAP’s main use. Afraid of the next step up being not worth it if I don’t use full sized headphones portably much.

1 Like

I’m a relatively happy SR25 owner. Love the form, love the detail, wish there were a greater bass presence. Will I get that from the Kann Alpha? I’ve read reviews that suggest that, but looking to actual users for your guidance. And if there’s another A&K that’d better suit me, let me know (though I’m not really looking for the super-expensive models if I can help it).

Thanks!

2 Likes

Happy SR25 owner here.
I find the sound quite on the warm side, coming from iBasso DX200.
Not warm enough though for some IDM music I listen and I help engineering.
I found that a pair of Sennheiser IE300 was the cheapest solution to get more bass (with bass impact) from my SR25 instead of investing a lot of money in another DAP.
Just my two cents.
Enjoy.

4 Likes