Astell & Kern Kann Cube

Just read a couple of reviews for this DAP. Both very favorable but unfortunately without any comparison to other units in that same $1000-1500 range. The Cube won’t be available until next month so we’ll need to wait and see how it compares to the Sony WM1a which is probably it’s closest competitor. It certainly is loaded with features and power. And according to the few reviews it sounds great.

1 Like

It is a pretty clean sound…

I think @Resolve you would really like the sound profile with this one…

Very Clean, pairs well with the Ananda so far, accentuating it’s strengths… but might be considered too bright for some with that combo, but, I must say it’s an intriguing combo… bright/neutral comes to mind or “counterclockwise”

@DEXCOM7 I think this is basically a SR15 on steroids lol and on the lean portion/cut before a bodybuilding competition lol so strong and lean… where the SR15 as I recall had a bit more warmth to it…

Mind you this is while using the Ananda… I’ll talk more about it with other cans later on :wink:

Using 2.5mmbalanced to XLR dongle if anyone was wondering

Drums/cymbals/percussion performance is very nice definitely up @Resolve alley. Brushes are a tad muffled though on the cymbals…

5 Likes

Awesome review. Thanks for posting it!
I almost went for the CUBE, But TBH I am only going to be using DAPS with IEM’s so I am in no need for heavy hitters or steroid DAPS. Specially when I want them to be at pocket size.

SR25 is going to be my next one… Or a Hiby… Not sure yet.

1 Like

Oh it’s very pocketable…

4 Likes

You forgot this @TylersEclectic

ROFL!
HAHAHA!!!

Is a good pic and funny reference but just came out wrong. LOL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

On my Verite Opens now with the Cube… it is nice, more warm… I think with ESS DACs they tend to be pretty neutral/bright so having naturally warmer headphones help balance them out.

This thing is pretty awesome…mostly because of how ridiculously large it is.

@DEXCOM7

4 Likes

HAHAHA FKING Awesome!
Thanks @TylersEclectic Love the picture.

Those Verite’s, I have my eye on them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Latest pic of this monolith!

6 Likes

In the right light, isn’t it this? (speaking of monoliths…)

4 Likes

That was my inspiration lol…

2 Likes

I did wonder!

Have you tried the Kann Monolith with your Elegia and, if so, was the pairing too bright? I ask as a Clear owner…

2 Likes

Amazing pic bro! We should call her Sally.

1 Like

Listening now… and yeah, a little on the bright side, but, it has a nice tonal balance, depending on the track it can sometimes feel a little off like I need to turn up the volume too much. For the most part though it is a good pairing, I think, those with a preference for more classic music(jazz/orchestral/symphony/acoustic/blues/etc) this pairing is really good. EDIT: I take it back just listened to a couple of tracks of Electronic music, hip-hop, etc and yeah these just get it right, they are just not in your face about it so it is hard to appreciate them. But, I personally prefer the Elegia with a warmer source to help flesh them out a bit =)

I think the problem is more to do with the Elegia though, I like how @antdroid liked using them… they are great for listening while not having to pay attention to the music and are working on other tasks…these are to me the best closed back “get work done” headphones, but, when you do pay attention, these are beyond excellent for their sound profile…I think these are hurt by their goldilocks headphone, or “jack of all, master of none” quality… they are just easy to listen to and be “happy” nothing sticks out but, eh! who cares… I’m chillin… :wink:

4 Likes

more pictures finished up! All pictures are single photos no photoshop! Just lighting and post processing edits in DxO Photolab4 or Adobe Lightroom! Let me know which one you like the moat. @MRHifiReviews @MartinTransporter @Torq

7 Likes

Not a photo guy but my fav is the middle pic (2nd), It sets a statement of quality and that’s what pictures are about.

The last one is my second fav, I like contrast ratio you have going on with your negative space (probably why I like the second).

Edit: Whooha I definitely missed the first one. Very nice!
Was the second picture difficult given you had the screen on?

3 Likes

The second shot is the one that best captures the unit for me.

All are nicely done, however!

4 Likes

@TylersEclectic I actually enjoy them all! I think these images work well together! Nicely done brother.

3 Likes

@Torq @MRHifiReviews @DEXCOM7

Thank you for the feedback! I had a lot of fun shooting these the other night…couldn’t sleep, got inspired to take some shots…only used two handheld lights and just fiddled with camera settings until I got these! Slowly learning how to play with lighting better lol.

3 Likes

I think that’s the most difficult part, to play along your aperture/lens with lighting, After you get that, is down hill from there! Nonetheless, Awesome pics!

1 Like

All are really nice and my prefered one is the third, which could also be a picture of a modern office building

Though the others show more of what it actually is
A beautiful designed brick.
Had it once in my small hands and it felt quality.
So you show us exactly that…very cool Tyler!

3 Likes