Audeze LCD-1 - Official Thread

Have you heard the Sine closed back though? It is also pretty normal.

1 Like

yeah I did, but I canā€™t deal with the comfort of that. Sound was pretty good though.

2 Likes

would be an honour if you use the phrase
not that I would have a trademark on it :smiley:

3 Likes

I actually have been using them with some ZMF pads I have on hand. I find the comfort is much better and the sound is maybe a hair cleaner in the highs. I think right now I have the VC hybrid pads on them. I havenā€™t heard the Verum perforated pads, I only have the stock ones.

This is true, and I arguably had one of the worst customer experiences of anyone I know of. I pre-ordered off the kickstarter quite late, like last few days of the campaign so I was back of the bunch. I also ordered Carbon color which was the last color to be made and shipped out. On top of that, he had a parts/build delay that affected the very last 50 Carbon orders from the campaign (which included me). Those shipped out in June (I believe the first pre-orders started in February). Cherry on top is that I waited 2 months after the June shipment (that my order should have been part of) and I still didnā€™t get mine, so I reached out to Garuspik and it took 2-3 more weeks of back and forths to figure out my order got lost in shipping and needed to be re-shipped, which he had no problem doing. All said, I didnā€™t receive mine until like this past September or almost October, nearly a full year after pre-ordering. So even with all that hassle, I am astounded how good they are at any price level. I pretty much like them more than everything in my collection (e.g. HD58X, LCD2C, Elear, Elex, TH-X00, Stax, Mobius, etc) until ZMF territory.

The reason I am forgiving of the mishaps is because this is 1 dude in Ukraine hand making these for dirt cheap (comparatively), it was a kickstarter campaign and we all know the success rates of those, and English isnā€™t his first language nor is American cultures/customs his forte with regards to customer communication and service. What he did do well was execute the campaign and updated impeccably (there were ~10 updates with progress photos from November to February when shipment started). He was also super active in the headphone forums answering questions and taking feedback. But I will fully admit he doesnā€™t have the demeanor and the above and beyond attitude like Zach (of ZMF). However, Iā€™m all about supporting the little guys in the hobby if they make quality stuff, interact with the community, and are willing to improve themselves and their product. And from what I can tell, for all the problems/issues he had at launch, and even with spotty communication sometimes, I donā€™t think in the end I heard of anyone feeling they got screwed over and couldnā€™t get their issues resolved. He always seemed to come through. So for that, I hope people that have previously written him off will be open to him in the future.

Yeah, I mean they are definitely not machine polished like a big company, nor are they artisan beautiful like Zachā€™s work. But for a basement style launch I think they are built well and get the job done (more function over form). He is also updating the headband so the newest versions will look like this:

And heā€™s making that headband + leather strap available for like $40 (including international shipping) for all the v1 owners.

Iā€™m surprised you found them particularly warm. They are not as warm as LCD-2/3/4 IMO. Maybe a hair warmer than Sundara, which I consider a little bright. Here is Oratory1900ā€™s GRAS measurements:

That raw FR is one of the closest to neutral (minus the Harman bass boost) I have seen. I would say 3-5 kHz is a little peaky/uneven, but thatā€™s the area I feel a simple pad swap has helped.

Anyways, didnā€™t mean to derail this thread or make this sound like a Verum ad, but I feel like a lot of people are sleeping on a standout headphone in this ā€œlow costā€ planar segment. I donā€™t even think there is a Verum thread here in these forums for me to post this info otherwise. Many of you know Iā€™m a self-proclaimed planar hater and it is rare I like any of them. So far the only ones I have liked more than ā€œjust okā€ are HE-500, HE-6, OG pre-fazor LCD-2, Susvara, and Abyss Phi. Everything else feels compressed, lacks dynamics and slam, and/or is just boring to listen to. Verum One is the only recent planar I have really enjoyed and would add to the above list. Anyone here should at least just consider putting Verum One on their radar.

8 Likes

Iā€™ll start one once I get my pair.

6 Likes

I only briefly tried the LCD-1 at the meetup in seattle that Andrew and Taron hosted and I came away a little underwhelmed. Perhaps it was that it was a little brighter and forward than I would have liked. I still think they are a nice value, but I remember liking the Audeze Sine better for build, looks, and sound. I will need to try the LCD1 for a longer listening session at some point.

I hope they bring back the Sine but make it just a smidgen larger. With a pad swap to increase the size just a very small amount, it fit me perfectly without altering the sound.

4 Likes

Iā€™m actually putting together my review right now, and the LCD1 makes me think of what I wanted the Sine to be. Also I got a chance to use the Reveal + plugin with EQ APO and itā€™s a big improvement - not that the default tonality is all that bad, itā€™s just that it shows whatā€™s possible with this driver. So for those who like the Harman bass elevation, rest assured, it can do it just fine.

6 Likes

Just a quick update, my LCD-1 review is now live on the website here:

With the video review here:

Hopefully this is helpful to someone considering a purchase. If you have questions, feel free to ask!

8 Likes

Watching it now!

Great review, Andrew.

3 Likes

Done

@andrew @Torq I lack the power to turn this into an ā€œOffical Headphone Model Discussionā€, mind doing the honors please?

5 Likes

Whatā€™s the material on these? Any fenestration on the inside or elsewhere?

velour on the face side, inner part is fenestrated sheepskin and outer is solid sheepskinā€¦ probably what you would want for your Verum1s

4 Likes

Alright, ZMF take my money!

4 Likes

I just purchased the LCD-1 and I love the weight and the sound but the earpads are just a touch too shallow for me. I took off the pads and they clip into a plastic face with 4 attachment points. I tried to scroll through here about changing pads but didnā€™t see anything. Is there a way to change to a different pad on these without fabricating something myself?

for the attachement points, you could always 3D print something for other pads or simply glue(like be able to bring all back to standard, later)others to the headphones

Not sure about what third party pads could fit sizewise

I fear this is going to be a tough call, in terms of sound optimizing with comfort upgrades for this special product

1 Like

Iā€™d test stuff out first before taking anything apart, make sure you find a good fit for sound as well as comfort.

2 Likes

Those pads are designed for the headphone to sound the way it is meant to sound with physical tuning. Swapping them out will very likely throw off the FR to some degree or another of course

5 Likes

Really enjoy your channel. Unfortunately with the current state of affairs, trying out headphones has been difficult to near impossible so I made my purchase decision based off of reviews such as yours and others.

Thatā€™s what I was afraid of. The pads can be removed so I just held some Dekoni pads on there to see how theyā€™d feel and sound. Did notice a bit more bass. I would be curious to see how the sound changes from person to person as the pads are very compressible so based on clamp force and head size I would figure the internal volume and distance to the driver would change therefore changing the sound as well.

Do companies account for or have tolerances for the sound based upon the level of compression of the pad from person to person? Or does it really make that big of a difference?

2 Likes

This is a really good question. Iā€™ve been running into wide head problems with my GX recently and noticed that if I forcefully lower the clamp force by holding the headphone apart slightly more, a narrow treble peak at 10k smooths out significantly. I guess the pleather pads on that model arenā€™t supposed to compress on my head but they do a bit more than intended. Engineering is all about compromises, and unfortunately the intended sound is never gonna be exactly the same for everyone clearly lol

1 Like