Audeze LCD-5 - Official Thread

If transparency is the most important thing than I’d consider the A90 in Topping’s line up. It’s good future proofing with ton of power, all the connections you’ll need, balanced topology and measures extremely well. Sound signature is quite transparent and neutral so if that’s what you’re looking for might be a good fit.

Totally agree on the AHB2, got it mainly for the Susvara, and it’s excellent with the LCD-4 and LCD-5, in fact all the headphones I have tried with it. I hardly ever use my A90 to drive headphones though it’s on pre amp duty for the Benchmark

1 Like

Oddly mine is quite smooth to remove/attach since day one.
However for the pair of 2Cs I used to own, one of the sides was absolutely painful to remove/reattach.

Cool! I bet it’s great. It’s just too big for my needs.

Here is the Peace EQ profile I’m currently using with my LCD-5s, a slightly modified, comparatively warmer version of Resolve’s EQ profile:

Channel: all
Preamp: -6 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 10 Hz Gain 0.96 dB Q 0.4
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 42 Hz Gain 2.3 dB Q 1.41
Filter 3: ON LS Fc 80 Hz Gain 3.55 dB
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 524 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 1.41
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 3000 Hz Gain -1.5 dB Q 2
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 5300 Hz Gain -2.5 dB Q 3
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 6700 Hz Gain 3.2 dB Q 4
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 7800 Hz Gain 2.56 dB Q 3
Filter 11: ON PK Fc 8200 Hz Gain 1.28 dB Q 1.41
Filter 12: ON PK Fc 12000 Hz Gain 2.24 dB Q 3

Mesa from Blade Runner 2049 on the LCD-5 is absolutely glorious.

1 Like

It’s obviously expensive, but for transparency - I would get a chord tt2 or Dave (or even a Hugo 2, but each step up on the chord line yields a significantly better DAC). You can’t beat the transparency of coming straight out of the DAC. My LCD-5 sounds most transparent, and is my preferred way of listening, coming straight out Dave and Mscaler.

2 Likes

Thinking about selling my Mogwai SE and buying the Chord TT2 instead for the LCD-5.
I personally think it pairs better with my Rebelamp but not sure how much of a improvement it will be going to something like the TT2 from the Rebelamp or if best having both different styles and keeping the Mogwai SE and Rebelamp.

Can’t say for sure, but I’d think the Mogwai and the TT2 should sound pretty much the opposite of each other! I don’t know anything about Rebelamp, though.

Yes for sure are very different but not sure I like it enough with the LCD-5 to keep it.
My question was would I be better of keeping the mogwai to have that different type of sound compared to a Rebelamp as example or sell and buy a better solid state amp for the LCD-5.
Obviously this is something I need to work out for myself but was just curious about everyone’s thoughts.

1 Like

I have the LCD-5 coming out of either the TT2/HMS or the ampsandsound Kenzie Ovation. Both amps sound spectacular with these headphones, and fairly comparable to each other, too.

Gotcha - Personally, I’m currently using them with a Ferrum Hypsos/Oor stack and they sound terrific, and even though they’re SS, to me they have more the feel of a tube amp (I’ve also got an Auris Nirvana) than they do of Chord gear.

I also love the 5 on the Oor/Hypsos with some EQ (denafrips ares 2 dac starts my balanced chain)

How does it compare to the Pro iCan Signature?

2 Likes

Forgot to answer this for some reason!
I think the iCan is warmer, and it shines when you use it with the bass boost on the 20hz and the tube on the middle option (not off and not tube+), but if you compare solid state between the two I had more enjoyment with the Oor. It felt much more in control, wider, better separation and darker floor.
I ended up selling the ifi because I didn’t any of the features and rather keep it simple but am already thinking of next steps (have the Susvara and it’s a constant uphill battle with those)…

3 Likes

@Resolve Is there a way to convert your EQ to a convolution filter, perhaps by altering the AutoEQ target to your preference? The LCD-5 measurements are there; I tried the crinacle filters and they are great, but I do prefer yours.

I ask because of PGGB, which currently only accepts convolution filters: PGGB - Offline remastering.

What do you think?

1 Like

I got an answer to my own question thanks to Zaphod from the PGGB team; you can use REW to convert PEQ to convolution. In case anyone else wants to know. :slight_smile:

Hi all, EQ question. Everyone talks about EQing LCD-5, and I would also like to. I have a Hugo 2 and I source it from my iPhone 13 Pro via Tidal. Appreciate any advice! How do most people EQ with a Hugo 2? What do you use? Thank you so much!

I use Roon so I get EQ through it when using my iPad to play music (that supports Tidal as well but will be an added cost on top).
If I use my Mac then I usually use soundsource or eqmac.

Thank you so much! No way to do it with iPhone on the go? Any apps that are good for tidal? Or just Use roon to stream tidal when traveling?

As far as I know iPhones are quite limited with EQing system wide so through the app is probably your best bet. I don’t use tidal don’t know what the EQ situation is there but with Roon it’ll work as intended so yeah stream through it. You do need the core server running somewhere.
Maybe others here will have others ideas.