Audeze LCD-5 - Official Thread

Thank you for explaining! Appreciate any other input on how to EQ on iPhone with Hugo 2. Thanks again all!

You can’t eq with this setup. The iPhone (iOS) doesn’t allow systemwide eq (related to security issues I believe). The reason why Roon works is the eq is being done on the core server (eg Mac or Windows PC) and that is then beamed to the iPhone or iPad over wifi or wire.

1 Like

Thank you for explaining! Does feeding Hugo 2 from iPhone Tidal result in different quality vs feeding it from a Macbook Pro for example?

If you have a MacBook Pro as your source and connect that to your Hugo2 then you do have options, the first being the expensive Roon that only works with TIDAL, Qobuz or your own music on the Mac or SoundSource from Rogue Amoeba Rogue Amoeba | SoundSource: A Superior Sound Control (see posts by @kion in Nov in this thread) which is cheap and works with any and every source on your computer and can also use Audeze’s Reveal presets though at the moment one doesn’t exist for LCD5. It has options for various eq and PEQ which are a bit clumsy but you can also just upload text files from eq you see on this and other threads. See here But you’ll need your MacBook Pro with you to use this option. Also with SoundSource you can use the pre-built eq from various people like oratory, crin, and others

sound quality would be almost identical considering the difference is probably only the cable and usb ports (that could be solved with a DDC in a more stationary setup).
As @Swoquix says above - the Macbook does give you plenty of options for EQ that you won’t have with your current gear and imo that can improve the LCD-5 by a lot. Soundsource is a good starting point as well as eqMac

Thank you both guys!! I use an Audioquest Diamond USB cable to my Hugo 2 from my iphone, I love it. Makes all the difference in clarity (for me anyway…I know cables are a big debate).

I am traveling a lot so I want to have this solution portable. Roon is only possible with their core? Or just the software is possible if I pay for it and just use my Macbook?

Apologies for the newbie type questions. Haven’t explored this space of the hobby yet.

If when you’re travelling you always have your MacBook Pro with you then you can put the Roon core software on your Mac, put a Roon client on your iPhone (available free on the App Store), attach your iPhone to your Hugo 2, the Roon core on your MacBook Pro recognises the Roon client on your iPhone and you chose and play your music on the iPhone to your Hugo 2 and you’re set. If you’re not near a wifi network then I’m almost positive you can use your iPhone to set up a personal hotspot, connect your MacBook Pro to it and proceed as above. Roon strongly discourages people from using the machine running the Roon core software from also connecting to your DAC, I’m not sure why but they’re very clear on that. Doesn’t mean you can’t, I just don’t know what problems potentially arise. Should you go with SoundSource rather than Roon, you can just connect your MacBook Pro directly to your Hugo 2 and use Tidal (or whatever your streaming app) on your MacBook Pro and avoid some of the minor Roon complexity of streaming to your iPhone.

1 Like

Best of luck :stuck_out_tongue:

LCD-5 certainly would be a candidate.

1 Like

Hey Resolve, how do you EQ? Via a PC or on the equipment itself? What are your top recommendations. I never thought to EQ until hearing LCD-5… sad that it needs it so bad. Thank you!

Thank you for the advice!!

I use EQ APO with the PEACE UI on PC. Yeah I’m working on a video guide to EQ that should come out in the next week or so.

EDIT: I should note, many people like it just fine without EQ, as this thread is evidence of.

2 Likes

Thank you Resolve! And yes, I see what you mean. Read through more comments above.

I hesitate to reply here @SenyorC or @Resolve , perhaps it would be good to migrate this part of the thread to the ROON threads. However…

I do put my ROON core on my MacBook Pro so that I can have it when I travel. Although I frequently use a ROON client on an iPad or iPhone in that case, when I am home I have my Bifrost2 attached to the MacBook Pro. I’ve had zero problems with this configuration. I’ve also had zero problems using the internal MacBook Pro DAC (which in the case of the 14 inch model I have) is actually pretty good. I can’t see why using the internal DAC on the same machine would be any different than using an external DAC.

1 Like

Haha no I don’t think so. Also, feel free to start listening right away.

Burn them in while listening, as that way the pads start to wear and conform properly.

1 Like

The graph for my LCD-5 EQ profile (slightly edited based on Resolve’s) I posted earlier; bit warmer to reduce fatigue for long sessions sitting in front of the computer.

I moded mine with the ZMF co-pilot pads I have on hand, with only the bottom portion of the co-pilots intact and only the velcro cloth layer from the top portion cut off and used so it would be stretchy and thin enough to fit around the leather headband. The sizes of those are perfect.

With these, I found the headphones extremely comfortable, more so than my Focal Clear (with shallower earcups and my ears can touch the driver grills, after several hours it will start to hurt) and HD800S (loose fit, sliding forward/back, and not enough padding up-top), especially for very long sessions in front of the computer as I am sensitive to pressures around the top of my head (partially due to longer hair). These spread the weight a bit more towards the sides and the filled cushion is very soft and provides just the right amount of padding.

p.s. mine is a more recent pair with the less-clampy headband installed from factory.

Also requesting the measurements of my pair from Audeze to fine-tune my EQ profile :3

2 Likes

How did you make this graph? I have often wondered if it was possible to create anew response curve for a modded EQ and apparently it is possible! Should also then be possible to graph the response curve of stock headphone prior to EQ experimentation then correct?

The graph feature is embedded in Peace APO, it’s just a visual representation of the active parametric EQ profile.

I’m still a newbie to EQing stuff. But I think seasoned veterans like @Resolve use the frequency response curves he measured with headphones to more accurately pinpoint the position, value, and width of the change needed to better suit one’s taste. For the perfectionists who want to go a step above I think it is possible to measure them again after EQ and make even finer adjustments there?