Audeze LCD-5 - Official Thread

I took your advice and played with it a bit, using lower Q filters and stopping after 5K, except for the high shelf at 11 KHz, which is optional and completely preference-based; below is the result:

Not too shabby. Judging by ear will be the true test, though.

2 Likes

There isn’t rules. Subjective hobby, buy, connect, mod, tweak whatever you want to sound better to you!

PEQ and Convolution (which is how Mitch’s filters are implemented*) are not the same thing.

Convolution is more powerful, more precise (granular) and can do more than just FR adjustment, but requires more processing horsepower. PEQ is simpler, though if you applied enough EQ points (which can be in the thousands) you’d wind up the same, or worse, place horse-power (and/or latency) wise.

4 Likes

Interesting. I’ll have to do some more reading/research on Convolution EQ. Thanks for the info.

Definitely see how various adjustments around 7khz sound. Or just other HRTF features in general. It’s hard to know exactly, but you could definitely find a better result for yourself than the target in that region.

1 Like

The miniDSP Flex supports FIR filters which miniDSP DevTeam says is a “convolution process”. Now if it could read in a wav file then I’d give Mitch’s convolution filters a try.

"FIR filtering is a different technology than PEQ’s or IIR filters. In addition, the measurement impulse response of the headphone measurement is “windowed” with a Frequency Dependent Window (FDW) that closely represents how our ears filtering works. This is embedded in the DSP FIR filter designer I use, but it is proprietary. This is one of the keys that makes my filters different than everyone else’s. There is also a phase correction applied towards an ideal minimum phase response.

All of these concepts are covered in my YouTube video on Digital Room Correction, but has been adapted for headphone filtering where there is no room."

1 Like

for headphones the room is the distance of the headphone driver and the shape of the outer ear/inner ear… this can be measured and compensated for just like a speaker listening room can… plus the difference in our ears FR left/right differences can also be compensated for…

…go tell that to Mitch :stuck_out_tongue:
I just copy and pasted what he told me. Whatever he is doing with his convolution filter, he is doing it right. It sounds great.

1 Like

Hi guys, I’m looking for where @Resolve posts his latest EQ settings. For LCD-5 and others. I saw some in this thread…but is there a place where he posts them in one list?

Thank you! And thank you @Resolve! You made me love LCD-5 like I didn’t think possible…your reviews and words are 100% precise and true. You do miss out on the potential of the LCD-5 if you don’t EQ it.

1 Like

I don’t know if there’s a repository of all his EQ presets, but here’s a post of all his LCD-5 EQs:

Can I use the Roon EQ settings for my EQmac app? Or only better for Roon? Also…can you share how they differ? Thank you so much!

Which version of EQmac do you have? It looks like the “Expert” version allows full PEQ adjustability, which means Resolve’s EQ profile will work. Be sure to reduce the master volume appropriately based on the EQ (-8.5 dB).

Yes, I have the pro. Thank you so much for the advice! What’s your opinion between the 2 EQ profiles? How do they differ in sound?

I couldn’t tell you - I don’t own an LCD-5. Try them both and let your ears make the decision.

If you haven’t yet, try either of the new convolution filters yet to be released in Roon by Audeze.

They are very close to Mitchco’s filters.

Zero latency preset file: Dropbox - Audeze-Preset-LCD-5.zip - Simplify your life
Linear preset file: Dropbox - Audeze-Preset-Linear-256kTaps-LCD5.zip - Simplify your life

3 Likes

Thank you! If I don’t use Roon…just EQmac…can I read them and implement?

Sorry, no macs here.

+1 for the linear preset filter

Roon offers convolution filters for Audeze’s? Or are these just Audeze’s Reveal+ filters? If the former, do they have one for the 2021 LCD-X?

This might sway me to move to Roon…