Audeze - Official Thread

I didn’t see an official brand thread for Audeze, so fanboy me created one. (if one exists and I’m too daft to find it, please merge/delete)

Audeze was founded in 2008 by Alexander Rosson and Sankar Thiagasamudram and is known for their planar dynamic headphones. According to their website "Audeze is a technology company at its core. " and from the storied “LCD” line to more recent iSine IEM and gaming headphones, Audeze has embraced applying new technology to headphones.

This is the place to discuss the Audeze brand and headphones in general.

8 Likes

I’m on my third pair of Audeze headphones. They and Focal are my favorites thus far. Just upgraded to a pair of LCD-4 in Maple wood.

2 Likes

Interesting… is Maple a new wood they’re doing them in or you got a special order?

1 Like

I have had several Audeze headphones. iSine 10, Sine, LCD2 and LCDi4. Very pleased with their performance. The LCD2 was a bit heavy for me, but the sound was spectacular. The company has carved out a respected place in the market, delivering great planar reproduction.

1 Like

They made a small batch of custom woods like maple and burl and sold them to certain dealers. I always wanted lcd-4 but didn’t like the ebony.

1 Like

Apparently I’m a fan of Audeze, also. I owned/then sold a beautiful pre-fazor LCD-3; and just sold a unicorn (original driver) LCD-2.1, one of the really early ones.

I had various reasons to sell, but I remain impressed by the way Audeze has nailed a certain planar sound that is found almost nowhere else.

4 Likes
1 Like

Audeze has been on my list to buy, one of these days. After selling my Senn HD6XX
, I’m down to just one set of open back headphones, Shure SRH-1840, but they its bass light And ‘pleasant’ , and I’d like something that has the rich authoritative sound and deep bass that Audeze is known for. Also, I have one closed back planar, the Oppo PM3, which I love. I think the LCD-3 is what I’m after, or maybe LCD-MX4, not sure without a demo, which unfortunately I can’t do thanks to ‘rona. I did demo the LCD-X a while back, and I’d like something a bit tonally richer. LCD-4 is more than I’m prepared to spend.

2 Likes

The LCD3s are my favorite listening headphones. I can just sit back and listen to a wide variety of stuff for hours with them.

3 Likes

Anybody know what’s going on with Audeze in-ears? ISine LX, 20 “sold out”. 10 is almost out. Low stock everywhere on LCDi3, and even the flagship LCDi4.

I bought some used iSine 20’s my wife heard them and wanted new LX’s. I thought they could be found since they are newer. Not so. She might get 10s.

Are new lines coming out? Will headphones.com have them? Would like to support @taronlissimore and @andrew rather than some competitors.

2 Likes

@bigshel99 have you listened to the RAD-0 and compared? Curious on what similarities they may have to which Audeze model.

2 Likes

I’ve only heard the Rad-0 briefly (like for a few moments at CanJam when they were the mystery headphone :joy:). I think @Resolve has had extended time with both and probably can give a better comparison of them than my old memory :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My understanding was that the iSine 20 was being phased out to the LCDi3

the step from the 10’s to the 20s isn’t insignificant IMO. once I heard the 20s it was hard to go back to the 10s.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried the LCD3 in a long time, but from the Audeze’s I have tried the RAD-0 has a more agreeable tonal balance without the need for EQ. But with that said, Audeze and EQ go hand in hand.

2 Likes

Are your 3s fazor or pre fazor? Seems to make a difference to some.

2 Likes

Fazor version. I’ve never heard the pre-fazor version of the LCD3. I like what the ones I have and, from what I understand of the qualities of both, probably would prefer the fazor but wouldn’t mind trying the pre-fazor.

2 Likes

That’s all that matters.
I’d like to try a fazored 2 and both 3s eventually. As well as the 24, haha. So many options!
I feel the lcd 2.2 pf has a good natural sound compared to the rad-0. The rad-0 I had sounded grainy at times. The detail was there, but I think I’d still prefer the 2 over the rad-0. And both had similar bass. The rad-0 may have come off faster but nothing crazy that you’d absolutely notice without A/B-ing. Plus the comfort of the rad-0 was a no go.
It’s all preference!

3 Likes

@Rhodey that is big if they sound better than the RAD-0 and more comfortable! Do you have to EQ them at all? How much do they weigh compared to the RAD-0?

1 Like

I want to try the 24 as well. @taronlissimore do you still have one around :stuck_out_tongue:

I also didn’t find the RAD-0 as comfortable, not horrible but I thought the clamp was a bit too much pressure for my long term liking.

2 Likes

I do not EQ. It’s not that I can’t. I’ve used peace in the past and still have it, but I just prefer not to. If the headphones need to be EQd then they need to go or I need to get a different pairing/chain for them. When I had the hd800S I EQd them when on a ss amp but I much preferred them off a tube (obviously). And when on a tube I had no EQ. And sometimes when we EQ the sh!t out of a headphone were taking away some of the attributes of the headphone. If it’s just a little EQ, is there much of a difference? Could our brain just adjust? I just leave it as is.
Some will call me crazy about the Rad-0 and LCD 2.2 PF comparison, but that’s just my opinion. I don’t think the difference warrants the price jump. It’s not that significant, Imo.
These lcd 2.2 have the new suspension headband, no fazors, and they’re half wood. So they’re much lighter than a LCD-X and even more so than the rad-0. The rad-0 gave me a hotspot on top of my head. They could benefit from a suspension strap. The design of the headband places all the weight at one spot and the pad is just ok, imo.
I unfortunately don’t have an actual weight. The lcd2 that’s listed on audeze’s site would be close but these are a little lighter due to no fazors.

2 Likes