Audeze LCD-GX - Official Thread

To enhance LCD-GX sound quality, I propose a simple correction that can be realized with a simple and free extension on google chrome browser. I also propose a natural sound quite similar to pink noise, namely heavy rain & rolling thunder, to be able to subjectively the added benefit of the correction.

The google chrome extension you need to install is “Audio Equalizer”. You need to configure a preset that looks like this:

preamp -2dB
32hz +4dB
64hz +2dB
2khz +2dB
4khz +6dB

Than, you can play the sound stimulus that I suggest here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8vMIq_GNvc

Just hit the button ON/OFF to compare with/without correction.

I hope you enjoy this setting, and your feedbacks are very welcome !

1 Like

Hey everybody I am completely new to these very high-end headphones… LOL my most expensive was the Astro a50s…

So I am eerily waiting for the LCD GX to arrive…

If anybody is still here and around I have quite a few questions. any one of these being answered will be greatly appreciated… quick note these will be mostly used with the Xbox series x

Question.
Should I use things like Dolby Atmos for headphones, or DTS headphone x, or leave it on stereo?

Question.
Will the Astro a40s MixAmp make them sound better?

Question.
(If the question above is no)
Are there any amps that work with the Xbox that would make these sound better.

Question.
Is it possible to change the EQ settings?

Question.
Do these need any type of firmware updates?

Thank you to anybody and everybody.

2 Likes

Hi @RetroX1985 ,

Question.
Should I use things like Dolby Atmos for headphones, or DTS headphone x, or leave it on stereo?

You can give it a try, and choose the one that best suits you. Personally, I always prefeared stereo to any 3D enhancements algorithms, usually relying on binaural principles (with generic HRTF filter).

Question.
Will the Astro a40s MixAmp make them sound better?

The only thing I can recommend is an amplifier powerful enough to drive the headphones. These headphones have high sensitivity and are quite easy to drive (low impedance), but I think any decent amplifier that can deliver, as recommanded by Audeze, >250mW @ 20 Ohms would be ok. As anything today, sound cards and amplifier specifications are not always reliable, so…

Question.
Is it possible to change the EQ settings?

On computer, it is possible to apply nearly any Digital Signal Processing on-the-fly (FIR or IIR filtering with linear-phase or minimal-phase filters, customized 7.1 binaural, etc.). If you want the effects be applied on any audio played from your computer, on windows you can use EqualizerAPO, on other platforms you can use CamillaDSP. You can also use some browser extensions, like the google chrome extension “Audio Equalizer”, but the effects will only be applied to the audio content passing through your audio browser (netflix, youtube, etc.), not other applications (games, videolan, etc.).

Question.
Do these need any type of firmware updates?

I believe the Audeze LCD-GX have no electronic components inside. As a consequence, I don’t see how they could have or need any firmware (update).

Best regards,
Jean

1 Like

Sorry if I have missed this - has the GX 2021 been “treated” with some updates in terms of pads, magnets, etc. as well?

All the new ones made after around November 2020 should have the new non memory foam pads, typically called “2021” pads now. The only models in the LCD lineup that got driver and magnet array changes are the X and XC

1 Like

Thanx for that metal,

so even LCD 2,3,4 “untouched” inside. Hmmm, secretly I was hoping they somehow secretly had turned the unloved LCD3 into something of a superstar with more balls (bass) than an X. Any idea/info if they are playing to put their hands on the LCD variants in the near future?
Cheers

Be nice if they removed the fazors from the 2 and 3, but updated the rest :grin:

Audeze doesn’t generally like to overly physically tune their frequency response, and only a linear and extended bass response is natural for an open planar, so as far as adding bass, no, very unlikely due to the physics of the design.

I have heard an LCD-3 recently with 2021 leather pads and it was just tons of air above 10k, way too much. Not sure what’s going on with that model. Even the retuned LCD-X has that issue as well but not as severely.

No, I was hoping for an 21 LCD 3 that “retained” it’s “flat all the way” bass response but came with a “better” tuning regarding the rest of the FR but mainly fixes that mids-valley of death. A best of both Audeze worlds so to speak. As I would love to add an LCD-Planar to my VC and HD800 I guess the only way to get a little wiser here is to find a place that has at least some of the LCD range ready for listening so I can at least try to figure out which one to go for. But I can imagine I will find it hard to miss out on that two-sided magnet bass …

How does the LCD-GX compare to the LCD-X 2021 in terms of punch and slam? How does resolution compare? I’m leaning more so towards the GX just because the weight and comfort seems like it would be a lot better. There just doesn’t seem to be a lot of information about the GX out there for me to read.