Audeze LCD-X Open-Back Planar Headphone - Official Thread

LCDX 2021 Question on serial#'s: According to Audeze support, the serial number (in addition to the bar code on the box and card), can also be found via a small sticker on the headphone band OR under the left/inside adjustment plate. You have to remove the 4 phillips screws securing the inside left cover to see it.

Out of curiosity I looked at mine and it does not match my serial number on the card. It does not even come close. Can anyone confirm whether that they are supposed to match or not?

Yeah, they’re definitely supposed to match. Are you the original owner?

To clarify: does the serial number on the headband match the card? And are you saying you checked the serial number inside the left cover as well?

1 Like

I found the serial tag under the headband -It was on the other side and it does match the card. However, the number under the adjustment plate did not.

Thank you for this heads up. As somebody thinking about purchasing a pair of Audeze headphones, this is slightly concerning, especially for any open box purchase. Looks like another thing for me to check if I go that route.

This is not that complicated. The serial number is on the metal part of the headband behind the leather strap. If you are really trying to inspect the headphone by taking it apart there are additional serial numbers in the drivers I believe, any other numbers you come across are not serial numbers. There may be part numbers in other places, but not serial numbers. No tools or microscope needed. Just pull the leather strap down and look at the sticker. Yes, it is just a sticker. The sticker should then match the certificate of authenticity card and serial on the shipping box (if the original box is included). Then if you want to know if you have the LCD-X 2021 version or the previous version just check the serial number. If it is higher than 7527600, than you have the new one. Triple verification is possible this way. For additional confirmation you can feel the magnets through the screen behind the ear pads. If it has more than six bars going across the driver than it is not a 2021. The old one has eight.

3 Likes

Just wanted to share my experience with the LCD-X 2021s

To start off with, I loved the way they sounded and think they are an amazing value. The bass was fast, hit hard and made even better with EQ. I’m primarily a Roon user and they have built-in EQ presets for Audeze headphones. I tried Resolve’s EQ but thought the built-in Roon preset was just a hair better. For me, it was a great compliment to my ZMF Auteur (wonderful timber, decay and voicing ) but the Auteurs love my tube amp and not my SS amp. The Xs sounded great on both tube and SS rigs.

Sadly, I had to return it. The clamping force was just too much but something that would probably alleviate in time, not the weight however. At approximately 677 grams it was a vertebrae crusher. I had seen all the reviews about the weight and thought I could manage, just be cautious. I just could not wear these for more than an hour at a time. If Audeze could shed 200 grams off the X I would buy this again in a heartbeat. I guess lighter is more expensive (LCD-5?) :wink:

2 Likes

Hmm, are you sure it was the LCD-X 2021s? With 6 sets of magnets? I’ve read all over the place that it’s usually around 600 grams. Swapping out the steel headband with the carbon fiber one would also help reduce the weight by ~70g (IIRC). Failing that, could try out the LCD-MX4, LCD-24, or LCD-4z with the magnesium chassis.

4 Likes

Just a general FYI for everyone regarding the weight of the carbon headband vs the steel headband. When I ordered my 2021 LCD-XC earlier this year, I also ordered a carbon headband. I weighed both on a very sensitive, high resolution scale. The carbon headband was a whopping 18.5 grams lighter. Yes, .65 ounces. With that massive delta, I would consider this more of an aesthetic upgrade than a functional or comfort upgrade. I mean, it does look and feel way nicer in the hand.

4 Likes

I ordered from headphones.com unless there was a mistake in their description? Yes, the weight was an approximation based on specs online. Sadly, the weight was too uncomfortable for me to keep.

Ah oops, I must have confused it with comparing the weight of the HE6SEv2 headband and the Audeze carbon fiber.

Elsewhere, on Head-Fi, someone else confirms a saving of ~20 grams from steel to carbon fiber matching what you’ve found.

Audeze quotes the 2021 LCD-X coming in at 612 grams. Amir from ASR weighed the set he received for review at 610 grams. Yeah, still heavy for some.

2 Likes

Since the very first time I became aware of the LCD-2 a very very long time ago I perceived the Audeze form factor as redefining what a pair of headphones can be. Imagine this unlikely scenario: You’re in public listening to a pair of Audeze headphones and people can see you wearing them including people you find attractive. I personally would be embarrassed. If you look at them from the perspective of an outsider and not among us who have seen these things normalized in our little online enthusiast world, they’re like strapping two speakers to your head with a metal bracket. They’re heavy. They’re the headphone concept taken delightfully too far.

A transformative work of engineering in headset sound that is close to cutting edge, but externally appears and feels like it’s straight from from an alternate reality version of the 1940s where humans navigate aircraft at night by interfacing with some sort of radar technology that allows them to echo-locate with the human ear.

Rather than spring for the $200 18 gram weight reduction, I’ve decided on the lean my head back against things mod which I find provides listening comfort for hours on end.

My roast of the weight and appearance aside. I LOVE the sound and the other aspects of comfort are excellent. That’s why these get away with the form factor with me. I’ve had these for 10 months now and I’m over the moon about listening to them every day.

Not for everyone. Only for those of us who can psychologically redefine a headphone from a portable audio playback headset to a desktop system based cranial suspension bracket mounted aural stimulation device.

5 Likes

It’s open-back, not really designed to be for people on the go or listening in public. Gone are the days people carry around boom boxes in public. Not saying you can’t, but you said it yourself, it’s an unlikely scenario, very unlikely.

Also, every time I switch back and forth between my HiFiMAN’s or Focals to the Audeze, I’m delighted that the ear cups are so large and comfortable… yes, I have large ears, not large enough to be called dumbo and not pointy elf looking, but close.

Yeah. I’m just joking about the from factor with a humorous self awareness. Mine are inseparable from my desktop setup.

I just purchased a used 2019 LCD-X, the mids are wonky but some EQ, specifically an adjusted versions of the EQ resolve provided, did wonders.

2 Likes

Cool! Welcome to the LCD-X club!

1 Like

I don’t collect headphones, but I do collect vintage camera lenses from the mid to late 1970s.

10 Likes

Very nice! If you were to compare them to a camera lens, which would you select?

1 Like

Thanks!

An odd comparison. I don’t think I would compare them to any vintage lens. Vintage lenses don’t have much resolution and are more pursued for character. They’re more like vacuum tubes for visuals instead of reference.

So the lens would have to be modern and have a ton of resolution, but be smooth and pleasing. It would need to be a good all rounder you could use for as many things as possible. Plus amazing build quality made to last a very long time. Add in some impressive engineering. I’m going to go with a Zeiss Milvus 50mm 1.4, which costs about the same as an LCD-X.
Here are examples of images taken with one:

Flickr is the real trick to learning the look of camera lenses. I like researching and then finding the FLICKR group for it to dig up some ebay treasures with unique characteristics. The rule that I’ve learned on flickr is no matter what lens it is, whether it’s a $40 lens or a $2,000 lens, there will always be someone taking pictures of their cats and…
anime figurines!?

5 Likes

Thanks, that’s a very helpful comparison (I have a lot more experience with vintage lenses than I do with headphones).

‘Vintage lenses don’t have much resolution’?

With all due respect, I’m a photographer myself, and I think there are a lot of owners of Leitz, Nikkor, Zeiss, Canon, and various other lenses who would totally disagree with that statement… I am not sure what you mean by ‘character’ - the image is sharp where you want it to be or it’s not… But you’re right about those cat pictures! :grin:

3 Likes