Audeze LCD-X Open-Back Planar Headphone - Official Thread

Thanks. Unfortunately I see no adjustment screw, and the yoke still won’t budge. I’ve contacted Audeze.

Well, I officially tried this now that I’m the proud owner of an LCD-X 2021 edition. V2 with the fewer filters sounds better to my ears. It’s just enough to bump up the presence region and lower frequencies. I’m actually quite shocked at how good these things sound without EQ, though - specifically on my heavy metal tracks. I have a lot more listening to do now that Audeze support helped me resolve the issue with the headband yoke, but thus far I am quite impressed.

Thanks for the EQ settings! @Resolve

3 Likes

Hi!

I didn’t find my answer anywhere, so I hope someone can enlighten me!

I bought an old LCD-X rev, probably around 2015-2016 ( it has the old leather simple headband, and the mini XLR connector part is entirely metallic, no black paint ).

As some people mention on different forum, the new LCD-X 2021 sounds better, and Audeze said they have changed the magnet position ( to save some weight, like the GX ), and they also got new pads ( which based from my experience, can change the sound A LOT ). Most people who tried the new Audeze pads on all the LCD lineup say it make them sound less darker, while still keeping the Audeze house sound.

I have replaced the old worn earpads of my LCD-X with the new leather Audeze pads. It sounds way better without EQ than before, but I wanna know if it makes them closer ( or even similar? ) to the LCD-X 2021? Does anyone on the internet have actually measured some older LCD-X with new pads to compare?

With the new pads, all the EQ settings I have tried made from the LCD X 2021 make it sounds way better than the EQ settings made for the LCD-X pre-2020.

@Resolve
Forgive me if you’ve already covered this. With the new revisions to LCD-X & XC…Besides the obvious open vs closed difference. Is there still as significant a difference in SQ between them? Do you still prefer the FR of XC over X ? I believe your opinion was that the XC was clearly superior(without EQ at least). Is it simply whether you want an open or closed back and use case at this point? TIA

1 Like

Just ordered the X 2021 from the Headphones site. What is the break in period? My ZMFs took a bit of run in…

Congrats. According to Audeze, they do 48 hours of burn in on every LCD headphone before they ship. Standard part of their QC/ pre-shipping process.

2 Likes

Wow very cool, thanks for the info. Looking forward to them :grinning:

1 Like

Hi all and Happy Holidays,
Not sure if this is the right place to post this (Mods plz move if necessary). I picked up a pair of ‘B Stock’ LCD-Xs from last week’s Audeze sale. They came yesterday and in a word – WOW! I can see what all the fuss is about (this is the 2021 revision design).
@Resolve once said I am in “mid-fi hell” and I won’t argue w him. I already own the Senn HD-800S; the O.G. Focal Clears; The 2019 HiFiMan Arya’s (my go-to pair of phones). But the price on these LCD-X’s I couldn’t pass up.
The LCD-Xs are amazing! There is a real honest-to-goodness accurate bass shelf, and I can hear Paul McCartney’s fingering on “Rubber Soul” as well as Ringo’s percussive bangs — something I have never hear in 55 years!
The soundstage is incredibly well-heeled yet wide with lots of air.
Treble is just right.
I am blown away!
– Running them (and the others) through a Schiit BiFrost 2 (2021) and a (green monster) RebelAmp. –

12 Likes

Hello all and happy holidays.

I received my 2021 LCD-X a few days ago and already had to put a ticket in with customer support but thought I would ask here. As soon as I put them on, I noticed a heavy lean to the right side. I ran all the tests including putting the source in mono. Its apparent and happens throughout the entire spectrum when running a test sweep. I’ve seen this issue posted before but only with earlier models. I thought this was fixed with the 2021s? Has anyone else had this experience?

I’m assuming you mean a channel imbalance where the right driver is louder than the left one? For what it’s worth, I ordered two LCD-X 2021 last year within a month or so of each other (the first one became a gift to my brother). The second one had a noticeable channel imbalance. Interestingly, this went away completely after a few weeks of use. If you want my two cents, it might be worth using it for a month or so before RMA’ing it. In the meantime, you can adjust channel balance in software (if your player/operating system has this feature) to lower the right channel volume to match the left.

I’d try reseating the mini-xlr cable connections and maybe verify the channel imbalance happens on a second amp and DAC setup (if you have one); that’ll rule out other components causing the issue. You could also try a different cable if one is on-hand. Otherwise, Audeze has great customer service - don’t hesitate to reach out.

3 Likes

For your LCDs out there,
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=343157454283444&id=100057675750168

6 Likes

Very cool! That looks sweet!

1 Like

Thank you. :wink::call_me_hand:t2: Have a great day.

HI Everyone !
I am new here, this is my first post on this forum.
As of last week, I switched from LCD 2 Classic to LCD X 2021. I am very pleased with the sound of the new headphone, however I am struggling with comfort.
The headband on the X is not doing its job, I feel the whole weight of the headphone on top of my head and this is because the leather strap seems to be too long, it touches the iron headband. As a result I found them uncomfortable after an hour or so.
This was not the with the Classic, where the headband was working properly, the leather strap stayed separated from the iron band and the weight of the headphone was nicely spread on my head.
Anyone noticed the same ?
thanks
ale

1 Like

If you bought the headphone new, it might be worth contacting Audeze’s customer support. They sell the leather straps separately, so I imagine they could send you a replacement if yours is too loose. I have a 2021 LCD-X that’s a year old, and the leather headband doesn’t touch the metal bars on the top.

This is good advice. Also, @aleniola are you hanging the headphone by the metal band or both the strap and headband?

If it’s any comfort, you’re not the first to have experienced this. I’d recommend contacting Audeze for advice.

If you’re handy and feeling brave, though, this guy made a video of shortening his stretched out leather strap. I’m not endorsing his approach; do it at your own peril and risk!

Good luck finding a solution. And welcome to the forum!

thanks @BenMurray , @Nuance and @Tchoupitoulas

The headphones are a few days old so I contacted Audeze customer support and they are offering me a shorter leather strap for free.
It should be shipped later this week

I don’t feel brave enough to cut the headband … :slight_smile:

5 Likes

How does the sound compare @aleniola ?