Audeze LCD-XC over-ear planar magnetic Headphones - Official Thread

How do you generate this? Can you give a quick guide?

Iā€™m a real newbie for Eqā€¦ can someone help me to create a similar curve in the Roon parametric EQ? Working on it so far looks like a dogā€™s breakfastā€¦ :face_with_head_bandage:

1 Like

Iā€™m working on a new EQ profile at the moment for mine - for those who have it, let me know if this is a better treble balance on yours.

Something that might be difficult to identify when looking at the measurements is that there may actually a 9khz peak thatā€™s difficult to identify visually, followed by the 10khz dip that you do see. Nowā€¦ to an extent this is all just concha interaction and it could be that itā€™s just shifted towards 10khz, since the expected anthropometric pinna dip doesnā€™t always show up in the same place. But given that thereā€™s some indication of a peak there, my goal with this is to make the treble overall slightly smoother, without drastically changing level.

Another thing is that the 5.8khz peak that shows up on the graph may not be as significant in reality as it looks - either that or itā€™s quite well balanced by some upper treble harmonics, like maybe the stuff you see around 12khz. In any case, I think this may be another example of fixing one issue may potentially reveal others, and so I had to go down the rabbit hole a bit playing whack-a-mole. Ultimately it led me to make a few fine-grained adjustments in the treble, but also remove a number of earlier adjustments in the lower treble. So if you guys are able to try it out, let me know if itā€™s an improvement, or if you hear the lower treble peakā€¦ because I sure donā€™t at the moment.

The main thing to listen for would be vocals, where the ā€˜Sā€™ tones come across strongly. This new profile sounds a bit more focused to me for those tones.

4 Likes

Is this still needed? Been away for awhileā€¦

Hi Resolve
I run my headphones with a (fantastic) RME ADI-2 Pro FS R which ā€œunfortunatelyā€ has only a 5 band parametric EQ. Is there kind of a logical scheme to adapt EQ settings from e.g 10 to 5 bands? Just skipping each second setting might be tempting but I believe it isnā€™t the right way. Any suggestions?

Curious questionā€¦ why do you use such a low number on the preamp settingā€¦ when I play music and watch the Peak Value Meter I donā€™t see any clippingā€¦ but with such a low preamp number it makes you push the amp harder because you end up pushing the volume knob higher than it needs to beā€¦ not a big issue but just wonderingā€¦ so with the ifi Diablo that has a analog volume control I like to keep the volume at around the 12 oclock setting, keeping the pot out of any potential mis balanceā€¦ so with the gain on the lowest setting, volume knob at 12 oclock the pre amp setting is adjusted at 2ā€¦ I see no clippingā€¦ not even close and it lets the amp reserve power for dynamic music passagesā€¦ am I seeing it wrong ???

This may be due to digital volume being lower as well, or at least that would amount to a similar lack of clipping. The main reason to go lower is so that you ensure it wonā€™t with all your music. As I understand it, music isnā€™t all the same for dynamic range.

1 Like

I have never actually played with the preamp settingā€¦ interesting as I was playing with the setting and to just see what it would sound like I moved the preamp to -30 and the rest of the adjustments to your EQ ā€¦ it changes the characteristics of the headphoneā€¦ there is more body and slam when I put the preamp at -30, adjust the gain to the upper position (high) on the diabloā€¦ the volume knob at 2 oclock and the XC is amazing soundingā€¦

Hey,
Iā€™ve been messing around with eq on LCD-XC. I just want to disclaim that I am totally new to the hobby, but Iā€™ve found a signature I like. Itā€™s a simple 10-band EQ. If anyone has time to look at it, please do, take a listen and tell me if with this EQ i am losing something significant? Because at this point I feel like the sound is much fuller.

Thanks,
Milosz

@Resolve ā€¦ is there a video or article describing the equipment/software required to take the in ear frequency graphs you use when EQingā€¦ would like to measure both over the ears and in the ears units so I can dial in the EQ betterā€¦
thanks in advance

We use an industry standard GRAS 43AG-7 with RA0402 coupler and KB5000 pinnae. The cost of entry to this stuff is upwards of $10k on the low end, so itā€™s far too expensive to acquire for personal use. For in-ear headphones, however, there are some knock-off couplers that do a pretty good job of replicating the GRAS 0045 ear sim (the older one) that can be had for much less. I will say though, thereā€™s not much point in doing that since you can just look at the frequency response from one of the many folks out there who have databases.

1 Like

The reason for this is that youā€™re applying more gain at the amplifier stage, and more gain sounds punchier and more aggressive. When you manipulate digital gain, youā€™re not manipulating any of the complex interactions, impedances and curve of the analog section that actually powers the headphone. Youā€™re just getting a pure volume cut.

Itā€™d be like having two faucets - one that sprays water at a consistent pressure no matter how much you turn the handle, and another that sprays harder the higher you turn it up, and loses pressure when you turn it down low. Letā€™s also imagine you were running the first, very consistent faucet into the second, less consistent but potentially more powerful faucet. If you were to turn down the first faucet, you would need to turn the second faucet up to keep the same amount of water flowing. However because the second faucet increases in pressure as you turn it up, you end up getting the same amount of water but more pressure because the curve of the second faucet is affecting your final output.

Excuse my crummy fluid dynamics metaphor, but the principle is essentially that - the gainstage actually running the transducer will sound different than a digital volume boost or cut.

4 Likes

This does sound better to my ear. I hear the peak a little higher, around 9.75khz on my unit/ears. Nudged those frequencies up a bit and brought down the ~10khz bump a little, think I have a new daily driver EQ.

Big fan, keep up the great work :+1:

2 Likes

I normally use Jriver for playback and it has its own EQā€¦ so you just type in the parameters and save it then it works only with Jriverā€¦
Not knowing a whole lot about Peace EQ I down loaded it yesterday and installed it on my laptopā€¦ went and put in everything from Resolves EQ example and it all seemed to be easyā€¦ this morning I booted up the lap top and for what ever reason I could not get Peace EQ to work at allā€¦ so after a search I came upon this on redditā€¦

You donā€™t have to reinstall it, just follow these steps:

1. Open Peace Settings
  2. Go to Debugging and Testing
  3. Click on Equalizer APOā€™s Configurator
  4. Check the Troubleshooting options (only use in case of problems) box
  5. Choose the device by clicking on the name next to its checkbox
  6. Click on the drop down menu in the bottom right, then choose Install as SFX/EFX (experimental) , then hit ok
  7. Restart Windows and youā€™re good to go!

It now works perfectly with windows 11ā€¦ hope this helps someone else with this issueā€¦

6 Likes

Hey mate, Iā€™m a total newbie. Is this the correct way to set your EQ parameters in Roon you reckon? My curve looks very different to yoursā€¦

You have ā€œBand 5ā€ as ā€œHigh selfā€, I think thatā€™s meant to be just a Peak/dip.

1 Like

I just applied Resolveā€™s profile.

Just WOWā€¦ thanks so much!

1 Like

Iā€™m new to editing EQs, so does anyone have Resolvesā€™ EQ presets, just with a big clean bass lift in it? I thought the closed backs would have a bit more bass.

1 Like

Figured Iā€™d share this here since everyone is asking for EQ profiles. Once again the point is that theyā€™re a starting point at best, and you have to use your ears to dial it in.

5 Likes

Thank you Resolve for making that content and taking the time to post it. Iā€™d like to reiterate that Iā€™m new to this and didnā€™t realize that using the low shelf at 100hz to adjust gain values would be sufficient, just due to my ignorance on how low shelf filters worked. Baby steps and all that.

2 Likes