Audeze LCD-XC over-ear planar magnetic Headphones - Official Thread

Two days in. Seriously impressive. Per my comments in the ‘introductions’ thread: “I have to say that they might just be, to my taste, my GOAT headphone purchase. Cans currently or previously owned include, but aren’t limited to, the Hifiman HE6se V1, Fostex TH-900, Hifiman Arya, Beyer DT 1990 Pro, Acoustic Research AR-H1, Fostex TH-X00 Ebony, Sennheiser HD 800 S, and Hifiman Ananda. I didn’t expect the XC to top my list, especially considering they’re closed, but here we are…”

14 Likes

I do love my new XC, but after watching your review video again I see you mention you just do a few filters on the XC. This is about 12:43 in the video. Here I only see a full 10 band filter recommendation. Would you mind sharing the simple 3 to 5 band EQ that you would recommend? I would like to EQ as minimal as possible. Thank you in advance if you have time to respond.

4 Likes

@mightytison I am really liking the (2 filter) EQ from this reviewer:

Wide bass boost and take down 6k makes this headphone almost perfect to my ears.

1 Like

Thanks for this. I will give it a try tonight.

Hey Resolve,

I have used your graph in the WebPlotDigitizer to generate a .csv file since I cannot find one in the AutoEq Github Project. I am wondering if all .csv files are generated through analyzing graphs or it can be generated through the measurement rigs? Could you please provide the .csv file of the 2021 LCD-XC if there is one?

Thank you in advance!

Is anyone having problems with the screws that hold the headband to the chassis loosening up? I have to tighten the screws on mine almost daily. I guess I can put Loctite on it to hold them in place, but you know, they also cost a lot of money, so maybe it shouldn’t have this problem out of the box? I just got these a couple weeks ago.

EDIT (08/30/2021, 8:35 pm): To clarify, I am speaking of the LCD-XC 2021 model.

Sorry to hear it. I wonder if someone forgot to use Loctite - if any is, in fact, used - when assembling the headphones? I can imagine this would be annoying enough to warrant contacting Audeze for advice, especially as the headphones are so new.

1 Like

I had this happen to my ZMF Eikons (no issues with my 2021 LCD-XC). Was I annoyed? Super, considering the earcup just fell off while I was wearing them. Thankfully it fell on the desk. I just went and got some Loctite- no more issues, ever.

1 Like

This is exactly where I am. Part of me thinks saving the few bucks on an LCD-XC over a VC makes sense in the construct of then using extra cash to eventually reach for a flagship open-back. But would like to have one quality closed-back.

1 Like

It’s perhaps an oversight or they just leave it up to end users.

I had to use blue/medium strength Loctite on my Dan Clark AEON Flow Closed slider tensioning screws. I’ve used blue Loctite or Permatex threadlocker on all sorts of equipment subject to loosening. One can see threadlocker residue inside many commercial products. It can even slightly tighten regularly used threads too – it fixed a camera case that kept removing itself from the camera.

2 Likes

I’ll call your Loctites and raise you a duct tape

2 Likes

Totally agree. Would like to see recommendations for RME ADI-2 DAC FS, mentioned in the video. There is only 5 bands to play around.

Agree
Any chance to see some recommendations?

All, I am fairly new to EQ’ing and took Resolves settings for a pre-2021 XC. Can someone review my settings and confirm I set it accurately? I wasn’t sure what to set the “Q” for the High & Low shelf especially.

Owned lcd x and 2 lcd xc’s and this is something that is just normal with these headphones.
You think something so simple on a such expensive headphone would be resolved by now.
Ptfe tape worked for me. Wasn’t happy using locktight.

2 Likes

Hi all
I just got a week ago my new XC, connected it directly to my wonderful amp SPL phonitor E with balanced cables and did some 100 hours “burn-in”. I owned already a XC from 2018 which I love! And now: complete disappointment. The 2021 XC is “quieter “, the bass is a joke and the highs are kind of annoying. I run Roon and will try to run the integrated EQ presets for the XC and play around with custom settings I found in this thread, but I can’t believe that the my new XC is un-EQed so much inferior sounding then my 2018 XC un-EQed.
Anybody with similar experience and/or suggestions?
Thanks so much for help!

1 Like

I’ll double check all filters when I get home, but the Q doesn’t matter for the low and high shelf because it uses a default/standardized one.

Pardon my ignorance, but did you - or anyone else - do a/some 21 LCD XC/X EQ in Roon and can post it here. I do usually not EQ so I have no extended experience here - but when I take that EQ setting and transfer it 1:1 to Roon would it be the same “type” of filter all the way or do I take for example a “low pass” filter for sub bass and then switch to a different type in other areas? You can also point me to Roon EQ’s on other platforms …
Any help is much appreciated
cheers

Theoretically. I think the high shelf filter functions a bit differently in Roon. Also, there are LCD-x and xc 2021 profiles from Audeze already in Roon. Give those a try.

1 Like

yup, seen those, thanx