Audeze MM-500 Announced June 3rd, 2022

MM-500 01

12 Likes

I’m super excited for this - if Audeze can deliver sub 500g headphones with the performance of their larger older brethren, this is seriously good news for those of us who want to wear their headphones all day.

14 Likes

I’m excited for this too. Did you notice the pad design? It looks like the classic LCD design instead of the LCD-5 pads. I found the older design to be more comfortable than the LCD-5 pads. I’m wondering if this will essentially be a lighter LCD-X with a Parallel Uniforce diaphragm.

Shame it has his name on it… other than that for the price it’s probably an interesting headphone to try out. Wonder if they’re more similar to the X or 5 sound wise.

1 Like

Very interesting. I wonder if most of the weight reduction is due to the transducer being 90 mm vs 106 mm of the LCD-2 and LCD-X? Or maybe the machined aluminum structure?

2 Likes

I wonder if these are the vegan pads being rumored and if they are interchangeable with the 5’s. Not that I am longing for a different pad, the current ones are fine.
Same goes with the headband as they look not carbon fiber… could be more comfortable for some out there.

1 Like

Definitely going to following this with interest. Currently using the 2021 LCD-X for mix work when it goes into the wee hours. No real info yet other than stats and Manny’s anecdotal testimony, except for a small blurb int the marketing material *“Whether you’re stepping up from our own LCD-X or from another brand…” , but Audeze’s marketing toward the pro audio world has always been a little strident.

4 Likes

Was at NAMM Show yesterday, spoke with a few members of the Audeze team about the MM 500.

Few details about the new MM 500 they shared with me. The MM 500 is single sided like the LCD-5 but the diaphragm, magnet structure and trace are different. The MM 500 uses the diaphragm of the LCD-X.

I asked if the MM 500 was like how the MX4 was like a combo of the LCD-X and LCD-4, was the MM 500 like a combo LCD-X and LCD-5 and they said no. The MM 500 is not attempting to fuse existing Audeze headphones but it was brought about with Manny’s input.

They had a few pairs ready to demo at their booth with a few different setups. They also brought in a soundproof booth and inside was the MM 500/LCD-5 being powered off the Weiss DAC502. Plus the Crbn was in the booth as well.

Few pics I took with the MM 500 next to the LCD-5. Headband is metal and the cups is machined aluminum on the MM 500. Also solid leather vs the leather plus holes in the LCD-5.

Pads are indeed different from the LCD-5 pads. The LCD-5 needs a perfect seal whereas the MM 500 pads were chosen to maximize surface area. Sankar said the rationale was in a pro audio environment, the seal needs to be quick and consistent. Since the LCD-5 and MM 500 are a different size cup compared to existing LCD lineup, the pads on the MM 500 are little different from the other LCD pads but going from memory, resembled the LCD-X 2021 pads just resized.

And the soundproof booth with Manny inside rocking the MM 500.

12 Likes

Manny mixing in the box.

2 Likes

Did you get the chance to hear the MM 500? If so, how did they sound?

2 Likes

Yup! Got a chance to hear it Friday and went back yesterday with a buddy of mine, he brought his LCD-X 2021 so he could have a more familiar comparison.

For me, I primarily listened on the Weiss DAC502 with the LCD-5 next to it in that booth. Then yesterday went back with the buddy and we had the LCD-X we could use as well to a/b. The MM 500 kinda rocked, definitely a step up in clarity over the LCD-X.

The LCD-5 unsurprisingly was still better than the MM 500 but for a fraction of the price, the MM 500 seems like a great choice. Sound wise it was seemingly sticking with a response closer to the LCD-5 except in the treble which sounded closer to the LCD-X.

16 Likes