Audio Technica ATH M50X over-ear Headphones - Official Thread

I don’t think so, they are definitely a little Bass biased, but they they are nothing like listening to Beats. I think you’d be happy with either choice, but if you’re unsure, I’d save the money and buy the M40xs (which I preferred).

1 Like

It has been a while since I heard the M50x but when I did, I purchased the M40x.

Personally, I found the M50x to be too boosted in the bass and also less clear and defined than the M40x. The M40x is more of a neutral sound signature than the 50’s. I will say that the M40x is not very comfortable with the stock pads, I swapped them out for Brainwavz angled pads not long after buying them and this increased comfort by a lot and also improved the overall sound signature a little (again, in my opinion). I don’t know if the M50x benefits from the same pads or not as I don’t own them.

Around the price mark of the M50x or the M40x (plus pads), I would say it is worth checking out the AKG K371. I have only tried it briefly but it left me with the impression that it is a better all round headphone than the M40x (and the M50x).

2 Likes

For sure! The tracking studio my band uses has like a dozen pair of these. The point of these headphones, imo at least, is isolating the sound in a musician/singer’s ears and keeping it from bleeding into the mic during recording. At the same time, it provides a decent (not audiophile-grade, but decent) amount of clarity and balance for whomever is using them while recording.

1 Like