Audiophile and Linux (The Darkside)

Curious… How are you running the Roon client on Linux?

1 Like

I guess I have another project on the list.

1 Like

Roon has native Linux support: https://kb.roonlabs.com/LinuxInstall :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not for the client, unless I’m missing something. I thought maybe you were running a Roon frontend on Linux and was curious what you did to get there :slight_smile:

I’m running my Roon Core as a docker container on an OMV (basically Debian) server which works well.

1 Like

The server is running in Linux as well and for front end I am using the webui and sometimes I run the ui using wine.
Yea your questions was directed more of how I was running roon in Linux or at least thats how it sounded :slight_smile: The ui is a whole different story :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m in the Tux team as well! In fact I have been using Linux exclusively for the past… 8 years? 9? At this point even my phone (Android) and my DAP (Shanling M2X) are Linux-based. I’m so glad to see other people here use Linux! There’s been a whole lot of progress in the past several years on the audio front.
As for Pulse resampling: starting version 11 you can specify that the server should not resample anything in the /etc/pulse/daemon.conf file.
I am currently on KDE neon, based on Ubuntu 18.04, so I’ll wait for the transition to 20.04 to try Pulse Effects - I don’t like messing around with core stuff such as Pulse.

What do you mean by that?

AMD is actually the best at the moment in terms of “it just works” (source: in the last year I switched to all-AMD builds on all my PCs and all the issues I had previously with NVIDIA just went away. Your mileage may vary, of course!).

7 Likes

AMD gave me nightmares in the past specially Radeon. It is good to know that they made a come back and now they online with “just working”

2 Likes

I am waiting for my new nvme to get here so I can do the switch and mess with pulse. In the meantime I am looking for a way to detach the vm dependency I have with this build and researching pulse. I really need to get up to speed and stop bitching about pulse :rofl:

Thanks for this info!

Let’s keep getting the Linux user list growing!
w00t!

2 Likes

Cool. It’s good to exchange info. I may share my conf file in the future as reference. Not too exciting though.

I think I read somewhere KDE was going to die. That stuck into my head. Maybe it’s fake news. Hope it is.

Cheers.

2 Likes

That’s about right :smiley:

1 Like

It’s never been more alive actually! You should check out Nate Graham’s blog - there are updates every week with the latest advancements.

Yeah, in the last couple of years they improved dramatically as they contributed heavily to the open drivers. ATM, AMD GPUs are the best in terms of support.

What I love about Linux is that I have never had to mess with drivers. The only device that has caused issues to me is the Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 - and that’s just because Creative does not release any driver nor specification on the device, so it’s basically a brick under Linux. Thankfully I don’t have to use it (I just had to review it for my day job). Everything else works perfectly in a plug-and-play fashion.

5 Likes

This was an interesting read…what do you guys/gals think of this?

3 Likes

Not quite what you’re asking but Ballmer leaving as CEO to own an NBA team was the best thing to happen to MS in a long time. Nadella’s direction seems much more focused and logical than Windows 8… whatever the f*** that was supposed to be.

Also, I think MS is seeing the growth of it’s OS declining while Linux has grown and Linux becoming more mainstream acceptable for desktops. I still get a little giddy that I can run some games on it without much hacking around with things, though I wish some devs would stop treating it as a server only. I mean, come on, you hired a Linux dev to build the server component… have them port the client code too (looking at you Roon and Plex).

Lastly: how mega powerful must you be to be on the wrong side of a movement but years later still be like 90% of the market. insert monopoly man logo :smiley:

3 Likes

This is on-point. +1

2 Likes

Microsoft is fighting an uphill battle against Linux on the Sever front.

Would be foolish to tell all the people who work with Linux for a living “Your OS is shit”.

No matter how big your company is, the work people with passion in their free time pulling in the same direction will overshadow that.

3 Likes

I saw this on Reddit and thought of you guys

4 Likes

HAHAHAHAHA!
So good! LOL

1 Like

Meanwhile amongst the Tux-Embracing PC users:

2 Likes

LOL! #truth
10char limit.

1 Like

Softlanding or bust!