Audiophile and Linux (The Darkside)

A thread for sharing Tips and Tricks/Software/Etc… and anything related to making your Linux HiFi experience more enjoyable.

A bit of a background: I been working with and using Linux for over 18yrs, I quickly came fond of perfecting my audio experience. I am a self proclaimed ALSA Lover and Pulse Hater (Not fully) but I do have my battles with pulse.

As of today, I have come to be interested in: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq

Which than lead me to:

And now I am down the tumbling rabbit hole :smiley:

Knowing that I dislike pulse, I want to give PulseEffect a try, and see how much it; ether helps or just plain makes me hate it even more. LOL

More to come soon.

10 Likes

For those who want an OS that just work amazingly good and has all the tweaks for Audiphile users:

An oldie but very usable today:
https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/start

4 Likes

I’ve been curious what you’re using in Linux for your audio. I mainly boot to windows (dual boots between Fedora KDE and Windows) when I’m listening from my workstation PC to run Roon, Tidal, etc.as Linux support there is pretty much nonexistant unless you want to hack something together to get “maybe” functionality.

4 Likes

Thanks for opening this thread.

I probably mentioned before, that I do have to use Pulse in KDE in my workstation (stock in CentOS 7.3). Since KDE seems to be going to the Fritz, next time I request a OS upgrade, I’ll probably have to go with Gnome, although I’m not sure if Pulse is the default in that environment.

About ALSA: are you resampling?

Cheers.

1 Like

How tweakable is the UI in Audiophile Linux?

I have messed around with Linux for many years but I have moved more and more towards Linux since Win7 is no longer supported. I have to use win10 for work and I also have it on my main PC at home but I am not a fan.

On my secondary laptop, I run Linux for everything except Foobar, I boot into windows just for that.

I tried Volumio and couldn’t get on with it but I would love to find a replacement for Foobar and get rid of windows completely on that laptop.

2 Likes

I actually don’t, That’s one of the main reasons I dont use pulse as pulse tends to resample by default.

1 Like

Is as tweakable as you would like it to be, Is a full fledged OS. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice. Not familiar how this would work. I mean, can you play a song while having audio notifications from the system, or is it an exclusive mode?

I have different DACS.
One as default audio and one for roon.
:smiley:

1 Like

Sure you do. :unamused:

Very practical solution though. :+1:

1 Like

I have done the whole resampling thing. Here is my hate with it:

1: Messes with your bitrate
2: I hear notifications when listening to music… Plain NO! LOL
3: Linux and exclusive mode just dont get along.

Those are some of my quick ones.

1 Like

Not true any more. You can use many audio services with linux, You can use Strawberry Music Player (Clementine fork) as a client. It works :smiley:
The plus is that it supports many audio formats and is a well regarded music app.

Than there is native support with Spotify, I use the Spotify app as I get to control my music devices.

3 Likes

Right. I imagined that.

Since I listen through Google Play Music (in Chrome with YT in parallel sometimes), I’ll probably stick with Pulse for a long time. At least in the office.

At home, regular Windows is enough to me.

Cheers.

1 Like

Even more than that, as you can tear into it to the core and break change stuff :smiley:

1 Like

Muahahahaha!
How else would you learn?
:smiling_imp:
LOL

1 Like

And you can format a floppy disk while you keep working!

Shudder! I have nightmares about getting video, sound, and anything else working under non-Windows or non-Mac.

TBH I need to get with the times. I am doing a test this weekend. Lets see how it goes.

Lets not turn this in to a war of how one is easier than the other.
Linux is not for everyone, thats for sure.
and for those who have not kept up with Linux, is not 1980 anymore :wink:
You can do just a tad of research and everything Intel base and nVidia just works :slight_smile:
Try it, maybe you will like Linux :stuck_out_tongue:
By the way, Mac is UNIX :wink:

2 Likes

Just joking…I built half a dozen Linux systems in the past, and a whole mess of other stuff too. BeOS anyone? The underlying issues are proprietary drivers and lazy manufacturers.

4 Likes

Ha! Nice, bruh… BeOS. Hahaha the days!

1 Like